15 November 2018, 22:20
Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Metropolitan Simeon to attend "unification" council - media
Kiev, November 15, Interfax - Metropolitan Simeon of Vinnitsa and Bary is the only member of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church Bishops' Council who did not sign its final document and is going to take part in the creation of the "autocephalous church".
"Since we turned to the Ecumenical patriarch, it means the authority to conduct the gathering belongs to him. They should give us a roadmap that would spell out what we must do for this process to take place within the canonical field. And after that you can choose yourselves what your job will be and who will be responsible for what," the priest said in an interview with the Glavkom media outlet on Thursday.
There will be some transition provisions to rule out disputes "like the one currently between the [schismatic] leaders [Filaret and Makary] over which charter the church should live by, who will lead it, and so on.
"I think the Ecumenical Patriarchate exarch who will attend the gathering should make clear how this process will take place."
It was reported that at the UOC Bishops' Council meeting on Tuesday Metropolitan Simeon disagreed with its decisions, such as the severance of Eucharistic Communion with Constantinople and the call on Ukrainian schismatics to repent, being the essential precondition for resolving the church's split. On the same day, he and two other UOC hierarchs attended a private meeting with Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko.
Later Metropolitan Simeon told journalists that he had the same chance like any other attendee of the unification gathering of heading up Constantinople's new church in Ukraine.
In 2014, following the death of Metropolitan Vladimir of Kiev, the Vinnitsa metropolitan was among the UOC leadership candidates but only got nine votes during the first round and one during the second.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14