15 November 2018, 22:20
Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Metropolitan Simeon to attend "unification" council - media
Kiev, November 15, Interfax - Metropolitan Simeon of Vinnitsa and Bary is the only member of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church Bishops' Council who did not sign its final document and is going to take part in the creation of the "autocephalous church".
"Since we turned to the Ecumenical patriarch, it means the authority to conduct the gathering belongs to him. They should give us a roadmap that would spell out what we must do for this process to take place within the canonical field. And after that you can choose yourselves what your job will be and who will be responsible for what," the priest said in an interview with the Glavkom media outlet on Thursday.
There will be some transition provisions to rule out disputes "like the one currently between the [schismatic] leaders [Filaret and Makary] over which charter the church should live by, who will lead it, and so on.
"I think the Ecumenical Patriarchate exarch who will attend the gathering should make clear how this process will take place."
It was reported that at the UOC Bishops' Council meeting on Tuesday Metropolitan Simeon disagreed with its decisions, such as the severance of Eucharistic Communion with Constantinople and the call on Ukrainian schismatics to repent, being the essential precondition for resolving the church's split. On the same day, he and two other UOC hierarchs attended a private meeting with Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko.
Later Metropolitan Simeon told journalists that he had the same chance like any other attendee of the unification gathering of heading up Constantinople's new church in Ukraine.
In 2014, following the death of Metropolitan Vladimir of Kiev, the Vinnitsa metropolitan was among the UOC leadership candidates but only got nine votes during the first round and one during the second.
- Jehovah's Witnesses group shut down in Khanty-Mansiysk District 15 February 2019, 22:17
- Ukraine annuls Bishop Gedeon's passport 15 February 2019, 22:14
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Bishop Gedeon deported from Ukraine over his appeal to U.S. Congress - Russian Orthodox Church 14 February 2019, 16:40
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishop stopped at Kiev airport deported to U.S. 14 February 2019, 16:30
- No grounds so far to reconsider stance on Jehovah's Witnesses - Russian Justice Ministry 14 February 2019, 12:17
- Russian courts' ban on Jehovah's Witnesses founded - Justice Ministry 13 February 2019, 11:53
- Russian Orthodox Church's Asian exarch assumes office created in response to Constantinople's actions 13 February 2019, 11:46
- OCU bishop's visit exposes weakness of Patriarch Bartholomew's positions - Russian Orthodox Church 13 February 2019, 11:41
- Senior Athos clergy decline photo-op with new Ukrainian church bishop 13 February 2019, 11:35
- Jehovah's Witnesses not persecuted for belief, penalized for illegal activity - Lebedev 12 February 2019, 15:44
- Revision of Jehovah's Witnesses case possible in event of ECHR's decision - Lebedev 12 February 2019, 15:41
- U.S. authorities may punish Orthodox Church in America due to stance on Ukraine - Russian MP 12 February 2019, 13:44
- Expert speaks against imprisoning Jehovah's Witnesses in order not to create them a halo of martyrs 12 February 2019, 10:16
- Unknown individuals attempt to set church in Ukraine's Nikolayev Region on fire 12 February 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on Athos not to have communion with Ukraine's new church 11 February 2019, 12:47
- Shoigu: 33 mln photos of war veterans to decorate road to church in Patriot Park 11 February 2019, 11:59
- Another 2 Athos monasteries refuse to host bishop of new Ukrainian church 11 February 2019, 11:55
- Athos monks moving to Russian monastery in protest against communication with new Ukrainian church 11 February 2019, 11:01
- Bishop of Ukraine’s new church was not allowed to Russian monastery on Athos 11 February 2019, 10:58
- Ukrainian Constitutional Court to consider constitutionality of law on changing subordination of religious organizations 11 February 2019, 10:43
- Hierarch of a new Ukraine’s church celebrates his first liturgy on Athos 08 February 2019, 17:48
- Jehovah's Witnesses implicated in 100 cases in Russia 08 February 2019, 16:49
- Jehovah's Witnesses' right to practice religion stipulated in Constitution shouldn't be restricted - HRC head 07 February 2019, 18:09
- Jehovah's Witnesses use prison term of the Danish citizen to blacken Russia - expert on sects 07 February 2019, 17:59
- Jehovah's Witnesses situation difficult, issue to be discussed - Peskov (updated) 07 February 2019, 13:27
- Organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses group in Mordovia detained 07 February 2019, 12:48
- Kazakh Senate speaker speaks against hijabs in schools 07 February 2019, 11:37
- Criminal case opened against Jehovah's Witnesses followers in Khanty-Mansi Autonomous District 07 February 2019, 10:27
- EU demands that Russia immediately free Danish Jehovah's Witness sentenced for extremism 07 February 2019, 10:24
- Lawyers appeal sentence of Dane convicted for organizing Jehovah's Witnesses community in Oryol 06 February 2019, 18:32