16 November 2018, 11:00
FSB searches apartments of Jehovah's Witnesses members in Crimea's Dzhankoy
Moscow, November 16, Interfax - Officers of Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB) have conducted searches at apartments where members of the Jehovah's Witnesses sect (extremist organization, banned in Russia) live in Crimea, the Rossiya 24 (VGTRK) TV channel reported on Friday.
The TV station's correspondent said that investigators are working in the town of Dzhankoy. A criminal case on extremism charges has been opened.
For its part, the Tavrida TV channel (a branch of VGTRK) said that 30 apartments where suspected members of the sect live have been searched.
"Searches are under way at the places of residents of the suspects, who are members of the Jehovah's Witnesses sect, which is outlawed in Russia. According to the source, all of these people may be connected with Ukrainian special services and their actions are possibly coordinated from the Jehovah's Witnesses center in Kharkov. It is known that searches are being carried out at 30 addresses in Dzhankoy. It is such a large-scale raid," the TV channel said.
Tavrida, however, showed only two suspected adherents, including the local cell's leader, in its footage.
"According to FSB officers, extremist literature, various psychology reference books and also recruitment materials were seized from them. A criminal case has been opened on extremism charges," it said.
The FSB department for Crimea told Interfax that it would not comment on these reports.
The Russian Supreme Court upheld the Justice Ministry's lawsuit on April 20, 2017, designating the Jehovah's Witnesses an extremist organization and banning its activities in Russia.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14