16 November 2018, 15:22
Vinnitsa clergy refuse to follow their archbishop into 'local' church
Kiev, November 16, Interfax - The clergy in Vinnitsa have decided not to support their ruling bishop, Metropolitan Simeon (Shostatsky), who said he intends to attend the unification assembly on the creation of a Ukrainian church independent of Moscow.
"We support the support the current status of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church as a self-governed Church with independent rights. We condemn the rude anti-canonical interference by the Constantinople Patriarchate in the life of our Church, and we express full support for His Beatitude Onufry, the head of our Church and Metropolitan of Kiev and All Ukraine," the emergency assembly of the Vinnitsa clergy said in its decision.
The decision was signed by 42 of the 44 participants, that is, an overwhelming majority of the city's clergy, Ukrainian Orthodox Church's press service said on Friday. Among the participants were the secretary of the diocese, the vicegerent of the Lemeshevsky Monastery, and the hegumenesses of the Brail and Bar Convents.
Metropolitan of Vinnitsa and Bar Simeon, the ruling bishop of the Vinnitsa Diocese, was invited but did not come.
He was the only Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishop who refused to sign the final document adopted by its Council of Bishops on November 13. He said he disagreed with decisions such as the severance of eucharistic communion with Constantinople and the call on Ukrainian schismatics to repent as an indispensable condition for overcoming the church schism. On the same day, Metropolitan Simeon, along with two other hierarchs of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, met with Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko behind closed doors.
The clergy of the Vinnitsa Diocese, for their part, said in their address to their ruling bishop that they fully support the decisions made by the Ukrainian Orthodox Church Council on November 13. The clergy of Vinnitsa and eparchial monastics also asked Metropolitan Simeon to call an assembly on November 19 to "support these decisions of the Council of Bishops by an eparchial vote and manifest church unity in the face of future trials."
- Religion department editor of the Dagestani newspaper detained on suspicion of terrorism financing 17 June 2019, 11:30
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25
- Last Sobibor uprising survivor dies 03 June 2019, 18:17
- Kiev Patriarchate does not exist, never existed - Patriarch Bartholomew 03 June 2019, 14:54
- Constantinople cannot solve complicated religious situation in Ukraine - Russian Orthodox Church 30 May 2019, 19:45
- Putin congratulates Jews on Salvation and Liberation Day 30 May 2019, 19:00
- Protests against construction of churches plotted by outside forces - Russian Orthodox Church 28 May 2019, 18:42
- Church on site of first Russian settlement Fort Ross in U.S. to be restored 28 May 2019, 17:27
- Russian Orthodox Church to open churches in Cyprus, Sweden 28 May 2019, 17:26
- Yekaterinburg residents offer some 50 sites for church construction 27 May 2019, 18:37
- Patriarch Kirill in meeting with Mijatovic asks Council of Europe to control observance of believers' rights in Ukraine 27 May 2019, 18:35
- Churches in Russia to keep being built as long as people need it - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 18:14
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for end to discrimination against Orthodox Christians in Ukraine under new president 27 May 2019, 18:13
- Europe, Russia should turn over page of misunderstanding - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells secretary general of Council of Europe is concerned about human rights issues 27 May 2019, 14:14
- Putin, Patriarch Kirill discuss matter of plans to build Yekaterinburg church – Peskov 27 May 2019, 13:42
- Metropolitan Kirill compares situation with church construction in Yekaterinburg to tsar's family killing 27 May 2019, 12:31
- Patriarch Kirill sanctifies Church of All Saints in Strasbourg 27 May 2019, 11:27
- Hegumen arrested after stabbing, injuring monk at Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius 24 May 2019, 19:10