16 November 2018, 19:11
Crimean Diocese of Ukrainian Orthodox Church has solidarity with Metropolitan Onufry
Simferopol, November 16, Interfax - Metropolitan of Simferopol and Crimea Lazar has expressed support for Metropolitan Onufry, the head of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, on behalf of Crimea's Orthodox Christians.
"The clergy and flock of the Simferopol and Crimean Diocese speak with one heart and one mouth for the preservation of the canonical unity of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, and they also ask the Lord to prevent division," Metropolitan Lazar told Interfax on Friday.
The Crimean Diocese remained in the jurisdiction of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church as part of the Moscow Patriarchate after Crimea joined Russia.
The head of the Simferopol Diocese said Crimea's Christians thank God daily for Metropolitan Onufry, "our experienced helmsman, who ceaselessly looks after the Ukrainian Orthodox Church," and ask that he be "strengthened in his service."
"A special prayer" for peace in Ukraine is said at every liturgy in all churches in Crimea, Metropolitan Lazar said.
Kiev is now preparing for a unification assembly, whose purpose is to create a church independent of Moscow. Metropolitan Emmanuel, vicegerent of the Western European Exarchate of Constantinople, arrived in Kiev on Thursday. He was ordered to complete the process that began in September, when Patriarch Bartholomew proclaimed Ukraine his canonical territory and said he intended to grant it "autocephaly."
A majority of Ukraine's Orthodox Christians belong to the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate. The country's authorities have initiated and are supporting the process of creation of "a unified local church."
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14