19 November 2018, 12:02
Donbass people affected by war get 15 mln euro aid from Pope
Kiev, November 19, Interfax - The people affected by fighting in Donbass have received over 15 million euro of humanitarian aid from the Pope.
"This action was announced so that Ukrainians do not feel lonely and abandoned. It was intended for those who are victims of the war in the east, for those spheres where people simply had to survive," the Apostolic Nuncio of Ukraine, Archbishop Claudio Gugerotti told an Interfax press conference in Kiev.
The money was raised at Catholic churches across Europe at the call of Pope Francis, he said.
"The result was very generous: over 11 million euro to which the Pope added another 5 million of his own funds," Gugerotti said.
Eduard Kava, head of the action's technical secretariat and an assistant bishop at Lvov diocese of the Roman Catholic Church in Ukraine, said that of the raised sum 6.2 million euro was spent on warming houses and social facilities in Donbass: solid-fuel boilers were installed, buildings insulated, houses restored. Some 107,000 Donbass residents benefited from this type of aid.
Another 2.4 million euro was used on medical treatment of 440,000 victims and 5.7 million euro paid for food supplies and essentials.
Furthermore, 1 million euro was used for psychosocial support for the children and their parents through psychological rehabilitation centers and to organize relevant children's camps.
Thus, the total sum sent for helping Donbas victims amounted to 15.3 million euro.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14