20 November 2018, 18:36
Putin calls Patriarch Kirill to wish him happy birthday
Sochi, November 20, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin has wished Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia a happy birthday.
Putin, who is currently in Sochi, called the patriarch, presidential press secretary Dmitry Peskov told journalists.
The patriarch turns 72 today.
"On his birthday, His Holiness Patriarch Kirill will perform a divine liturgy service at the in-house temple of his residence in Peredelkino," the patriarch's press secretary Rev. Alexander Volkov told journalists.
"The patriarch is not planning any meetings or events on this day. Given his fairly tight schedule in the coming days, he will be working with documents," the priest said.
Patriarch Kirill was born Vladimir Mikhailovich Gundyayev to the family of a priest in Leningrad (now St. Petersburg) on November 20, 1946. After eight years of school, he worked for three years in a geological expedition as a technician-cartographer, combining work with studies.
After finishing high school in 1965, he enrolled in the Leningrad Theological Seminary and later at the Leningrad Theological Academy, from which he graduated with honors in 1970.
In April 1969, Gundyayev became a monk and took the name Kirill. Thereafter, he taught at religious schools in Leningrad and represented the Moscow Patriarchate at the World Council of Churches in Geneva, after which he was appointed rector of the Leningrad Theological Academy and Seminary.
In March 1976, Archimandrite Kirill became a bishop. He led the Smolensk and Kaliningrad Diocese for more than 20 years before being appointed the head of the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations in November 1989.
He was elected the patriarch of the Russian Orthodox Church on January 27, 2009.
- Russian Orthodox Church feels calm about decision of most Churches not to send their delegates to Amman meeting 26 February 2020, 10:15
- Inter-Orthodox meeting on Ukraine in Amman to be attended by 4 out of 15 Church leaders 25 February 2020, 23:04
- Russian Orthodox Church starts installing monitoring cameras at churches 25 February 2020, 22:58
- High-ranking Russian Orthodox Church rep objects to ban on consecration of WMDs 25 February 2020, 18:33
- Islamist from Donbass arrested in Kazan 25 February 2020, 11:02
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58