23 November 2018, 18:14
Ukrainian Orthodox Church likens promoters of 'autocephaly' to Bolsheviks
Kiev, November 23, Interfax - The methods being used to create a "unified local church" in Ukraine recall the Red Terror at the dawn of the Soviet state, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church said.
"We have no right to remain silent when the government, citing the 'Bolshevik boot,' is pursuing a religious policy using the same methods as its 'Red' predecessors, whom they supposedly disowned within the ideological framework of the de-communization policy," the UOC's well-known archbishop, Metropolitan Luka of Zaporozhye and Melitopol, said in a statement seen by Interfax.
"Just as in the 20th century, the Councils of People's Deputies controlled by 'Red terrorists' in our territories demanded that all those who did not support the ruling party's general line be destroyed, attempts are now being made to force you to speak out against the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, in which many of you and your near and dear were baptized," the metropolitan said.
He was commenting on reports that as part of the "hybrid pressure" on UOC archbishops, regional council deputies were receiving recommendations from the "unified center," urging them to "influence" archbishops to attend the unification assembly where a church independent of Moscow will be created.
"By seeking to sever the existing, though in prayers only, link between our church and the Russian Orthodox Church, politicians, who are remote from the Orthodox faith, decided they would rather see it heavily dependent on another foreign entity, led by a Turkish citizen, or - according to the ideas of an Istanbul cleric, Pan Getcha - turn it into 'the Turkish Orthodox Church in Ukraine,'" the metropolitan said.
- Russian prosecutors seeking to shut down Church of Last Testament 25 September 2020, 17:34
- Patriarch awards Lavrov the church order of Glory and Honor 23 September 2020, 18:35
- Followers of Church of the Last Testament gave part of their income to sect every month - source 23 September 2020, 18:29
- Two followers in Vissarion's community developed mental disorders - source 23 September 2020, 18:18
- Court arrests 3 leaders of Krasnoyarsk Church of the Last Testament 23 September 2020, 13:07
- Putin bestows Order for Merit to Fatherland, 1st degree on oldest ruling bishop of Russian Orthodox Church 22 September 2020, 17:38
- Berel Lazar invited to Bahrain 22 September 2020, 13:18
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23