26 November 2018, 11:39
Constantinople eyeing dozens of its former properties in Ukraine - Metropolitan Hilarion
Moscow, November 26, Interfax - The Patriarchate of Constantinople is hoping to get hold of over 20 church structures in Ukraine it used to own before the end of the 17th century the Russian Orthodox Church said.
The synod is meeting in Istanbul next week to try and set the date of the so-called unification gathering intended to create an "autocephalous" church independent from Moscow.
"The Patriarchate of Constantinople drafting the so-called tomos of autocephaly intends to set out its own rights and restore all those stavropegia [metochions] which historically Constantinople once had in Ukraine, and there were quite many of them at various times," Metropolitan Hilarion, head of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations, said in an interview with the Church and the World program on the television channel Rossiya-24.
The list of over 20 sites including monasteries, temples and various buildings was drawn up for the Patriarchate of Constantinople by a scientist who "simply dug up from various documents all sorts of information about the metochions Constantinople had in various periods," Metropolitan Hilarion said.
The use of St. Andrew's Church in Kiev has been passed to Constantinople at the initiative of the Ukrainian authorities as part of preparations for the creation of a "unified local church" of Ukraine, which by design is the intended recipient of the tomos from Patriarch Bartholomew, Metropolitan Hilarion said.
- Disgraced Father Sergy planning to hold his own religious procession in Ural region on Royal Days 07 July 2020, 18:49
- Six Muslims detained in Crimea on suspicion of involvement in Hizb ut-Tahrir 07 July 2020, 16:09
- Kremlin not following situation surrounding rebellious Urals cleric Sergy - Peskov 07 July 2020, 14:55
- Court in Sverdlovsk Region fines ex-priest Sergy 90,000 rubles for spreading false information 07 July 2020, 13:52
- Hagia Sophia in Istanbul should remain symbol of interfaith accord - State Duma 07 July 2020, 10:19
- Yekaterinburg metropolitan rebukes rebellious monk Sergy for glorifying Stalin 07 July 2020, 10:17
- Patriarch Kirill calls for preserving Hagia Sophia's museum status (updated) 06 July 2020, 15:43
- Kremlin hopes Hagia Sophia's global significance, sacred value to be accounted for in determining its status in Turkey 06 July 2020, 14:03
- Russian Foreign Ministry hopes global significance of Hagia Sophia will be taken into account when determining its status 06 July 2020, 12:48
- Russian Orthodox Church calls Hagia Sophia's transformation into mosque inadmissible 06 July 2020, 10:20
- Putin states need for public monitoring of LGBT propaganda 03 July 2020, 18:27
- Metropolitan Hilarion: Hagia Sophia is heritage of entire mankind 03 July 2020, 18:25
- Russia hasn't restricted, won't restrict rights based on race, sexual orientation - Putin 03 July 2020, 17:51
- Putin comments on LGBT flag flying over U.S. embassy building in Moscow 03 July 2020, 17:46
- Church court defrocks Urals Schema-Hegumen Sergy, who cursed people who closed churches 03 July 2020, 13:09
- All members of the Jewish community in Moscow recovered from coronavirus 03 July 2020, 12:40
- Mufti Tajuddin proposes making Hagia Sophia common prayer-house for Muslims and Christians 03 July 2020, 10:09
- Duma's Tolstoy sees demonstration of LGBT flags on embassy buildings in Moscow as attempt to influence voting on constitutional amendments 02 July 2020, 12:39
- The FJCR president believes other countries to appreciate the importance of amendment about marriage as a union between a man and a woman 02 July 2020, 12:36
- Famous Transfiguration church in Kizhi to resume services after 40 years 30 June 2020, 18:04
- Filaret demands another tomos from Patriarch Bartholomew 29 June 2020, 20:59
- Russian Orthodox Church sees Ural priest's calls against participation in amendments vote as "tragicomic' 29 June 2020, 18:08
- Church court again makes no decision on behavior of Urals priest who cursed people who closed churches 29 June 2020, 10:05
- Russian Jews urges American demonstrators to peaceful dialogue 29 June 2020, 10:00
- Forced treatment of shaman Gabyshev is illegal - Memorial 25 June 2020, 21:17
- Kremlin hopes rainbow flag on U.S. embassy in Moscow drew attention of Russian Foreign Ministry 25 June 2020, 14:54
- Kusturica called Russia's chief military church personification of power, talent and faith 25 June 2020, 12:55
- Jews will never forget heroism of the Soviet Army that stopped Holocaust - FJCR president 25 June 2020, 10:08
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church Metropolitan Sofrony dies 23 June 2020, 20:12
- Leader of Tuva Buddhists dies of Covid-19 23 June 2020, 18:26