26 November 2018, 11:48
Russian Supreme Court declines hearing Prosecutor's General Office's cassation appeal against sentence to priest Grozovsky
Moscow, November 26, Interfax - The Russian Supreme Court will not consider Deputy Prosecutor General Leonid Korzhinek's cassation appeal against the judgment to Priest Gleb Grozovsky, who was sentenced to 14 years in a high-security penal colony for sexual violence against children.
"The submission of the case for the consideration by an appeals court at the deputy prosecutor general's motion is denied," the Supreme Court told Interfax.
This Supreme Court's ruling was delivered on Wednesday, November 21. The essence of the Prosecutor's General Office's cassation appeal against the sentence is not reported.
On January 17, the Priozyorsk City Court of the Leningrad Region sentenced Grozovsky to 14 years in a high-security penal colony, finding him guilty of several instances of molesting children. He was also sentenced to the payment of 400,000 rubles to the families of each of the three victims.
According to investigators, Grozovsky, who was a priest at the Ascension (Sophia) Cathedral in Tsarskoye Selo, molested several children younger than 14 at an Orthodox children's camp on the island of Konevets in the Priozyorsk District of the Leningrad Region. According to investigators, Grozovsky committed the same crimes against two girls, born in 2001 and 2004, at the Orthodox children's camp Philadelphia in Greece in June 2013.
He was declared internationally wanted in October 2013. He was detained in Israel in September 2014, and was extradited to Russia on September 7, 2016.
The priest did not plead guilty and claimed that the criminal case had been fabricated against him.
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25
- Last Sobibor uprising survivor dies 03 June 2019, 18:17
- Kiev Patriarchate does not exist, never existed - Patriarch Bartholomew 03 June 2019, 14:54
- Constantinople cannot solve complicated religious situation in Ukraine - Russian Orthodox Church 30 May 2019, 19:45
- Putin congratulates Jews on Salvation and Liberation Day 30 May 2019, 19:00
- Protests against construction of churches plotted by outside forces - Russian Orthodox Church 28 May 2019, 18:42
- Church on site of first Russian settlement Fort Ross in U.S. to be restored 28 May 2019, 17:27
- Russian Orthodox Church to open churches in Cyprus, Sweden 28 May 2019, 17:26
- Yekaterinburg residents offer some 50 sites for church construction 27 May 2019, 18:37
- Patriarch Kirill in meeting with Mijatovic asks Council of Europe to control observance of believers' rights in Ukraine 27 May 2019, 18:35
- Churches in Russia to keep being built as long as people need it - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 18:14
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for end to discrimination against Orthodox Christians in Ukraine under new president 27 May 2019, 18:13
- Europe, Russia should turn over page of misunderstanding - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells secretary general of Council of Europe is concerned about human rights issues 27 May 2019, 14:14
- Putin, Patriarch Kirill discuss matter of plans to build Yekaterinburg church – Peskov 27 May 2019, 13:42
- Metropolitan Kirill compares situation with church construction in Yekaterinburg to tsar's family killing 27 May 2019, 12:31
- Patriarch Kirill sanctifies Church of All Saints in Strasbourg 27 May 2019, 11:27
- Hegumen arrested after stabbing, injuring monk at Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius 24 May 2019, 19:10
- Putin congratulates Patriarch Kirill on name day, suggests he loosen up work schedule 24 May 2019, 17:48