02 December 2018, 21:15
Poroshenko awards orders to 2 Ukrainian Orthodox Church metropolitans who support autocephaly
Kiev, December 2, Interfax - Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko has awarded Yaroslav Mudry orders (fifth degree) to two metropolitans of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, the presidential website said.
Among "the people who made a considerable personal contribution to the development of the state, the socio-economic, technological, cultural and educational development of Ukraine" mentioned in the report is Metropolitan Sofrony of Cherkassy and Kanev, who is known as the most consistent supporter of the creation in the country of a church independent of Moscow.
In mid November, Metropolitan Sofrony was among the several archbishops of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church who came to meet with the president of Ukraine after he had refused to come to the lavra to meet with the Council of Bishops participants.
The president has also awarded an order to Metropolitan Anatoly of Sarnensk and Polessk. He was among the people who signed a memorandum on unified Ukraine and a unified local church in 2014, but he later recalled his signature.
In the meantime, the Ukrainian authorities have recently been doing active work with the clergy who disagree to participate in the creation of "a unified local church." It was announced on Saturday that the Security Service of Ukraine (SBU) had summoned several dozens of clergymen of the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church in the Rovno Region "for a conversation (the Rovno Diocese was the first one to confirm its allegiance to Metropolitan Onufry after the publication of Constantinople's plans to grant autocephaly to Ukraine).
The day before, SBU officials had searched a house belonging to Metropolitan Pavel of Vyshgorod and Chernobyl, the vicar of the Kiev Lavra of the Caves.
- Moscow Mayor Sobyanin proposes to leave Lubyanskaya Square as it is for now 26 February 2021, 22:42
- Acting leader of Abkhazian Diocese is member of Georgian Church - Georgian Patriarchate 26 February 2021, 17:44
- Search underway on premises of Sredneuralsky Convent 26 February 2021, 17:41
- Defrocked priest Sergy's pretrial detention extended until end of spring 26 February 2021, 10:00
- Armenian Apostolic Church urges politicians to start talks 25 February 2021, 15:04
- Omsk resident fined 375,000 rubles for excusing terror attack in New Zealand 25 February 2021, 11:48
- Yakutian shaman Gabyshev charged with violence against police officer 25 February 2021, 10:45
- Meeting between Russian patriarch, Pope doesn't improve Christians' position in Middle East contrary to expectations - Metropolitan Hilarion 24 February 2021, 10:00
- Muscovites will choose between monuments to Dzerzhinsky, Alexander Nevsky on Lubyanka Square 20 February 2021, 10:03
- Former schema-monk Sergy admits giving bribe amounting to 'millions of dollars' 18 February 2021, 16:30
- World Russian People's Council backs idea of Ivan III monument on Lubyanka Square in Moscow 18 February 2021, 16:11
- FJCR suggests reinstalling fountain at Lubyanka 18 February 2021, 15:30
- Suspected organizer of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Russia's Kemerovo region placed under house arrest 17 February 2021, 14:11
- Police detain man who splashed Holocaust monument in Yerevan with paint 17 February 2021, 13:44
- The giant castle of corona cannibal to be burned in Russia on Maslenitsa 17 February 2021, 12:08
- Lawyers' association supports bill limiting surrogate motherhood in Russia 17 February 2021, 10:00
- FSB detain people suspected of financing ISIL under guise of donations to mosques in Crimea, Tatarstan 16 February 2021, 15:19
- World Union of Old Believers backs idea to place Ivan III monument on Moscow's Lubyanka Square 16 February 2021, 09:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion concerned by detention on non-participants in unsanctioned rallies 15 February 2021, 09:17
- Moscow court arrests 2 Jehovah's Witnesses 15 February 2021, 09:15
- Foreign Intelligence Service head compares those who insult WWII veterans to Nazi collaborators 12 February 2021, 11:53
- Congress of the Leaders of World and Traditional Religions in Kazakhstan postponed to next year 12 February 2021, 11:07
- Sputnik V vaccine halal - Gamaleya Center expert 12 February 2021, 10:03
- Court denies former schema hegumen Sergy right to participate in dispute over church on territory of Sredneuralsky Convent 10 February 2021, 20:39
- Several organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 10 February 2021, 11:43
- Resident of Russia's Dagestan jailed for 10 years for killing local rabbi 10 February 2021, 11:14
- Tajik authorities classify sentence of opposition Islamic party leader 09 February 2021, 17:35
- The International Day of Human Brotherhood celebrates in Russia for the first time 09 February 2021, 10:13
- Tolerance lessons have already been held for half a million schoolchildren in Russia 09 February 2021, 10:04
- Moscow City Court upholds arrest of schema-hegumen Sergy 09 February 2021, 10:00