02 December 2018, 21:15
Poroshenko awards orders to 2 Ukrainian Orthodox Church metropolitans who support autocephaly
Kiev, December 2, Interfax - Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko has awarded Yaroslav Mudry orders (fifth degree) to two metropolitans of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, the presidential website said.
Among "the people who made a considerable personal contribution to the development of the state, the socio-economic, technological, cultural and educational development of Ukraine" mentioned in the report is Metropolitan Sofrony of Cherkassy and Kanev, who is known as the most consistent supporter of the creation in the country of a church independent of Moscow.
In mid November, Metropolitan Sofrony was among the several archbishops of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church who came to meet with the president of Ukraine after he had refused to come to the lavra to meet with the Council of Bishops participants.
The president has also awarded an order to Metropolitan Anatoly of Sarnensk and Polessk. He was among the people who signed a memorandum on unified Ukraine and a unified local church in 2014, but he later recalled his signature.
In the meantime, the Ukrainian authorities have recently been doing active work with the clergy who disagree to participate in the creation of "a unified local church." It was announced on Saturday that the Security Service of Ukraine (SBU) had summoned several dozens of clergymen of the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church in the Rovno Region "for a conversation (the Rovno Diocese was the first one to confirm its allegiance to Metropolitan Onufry after the publication of Constantinople's plans to grant autocephaly to Ukraine).
The day before, SBU officials had searched a house belonging to Metropolitan Pavel of Vyshgorod and Chernobyl, the vicar of the Kiev Lavra of the Caves.
- Religion section editor of Dagestani newspaper suspected of financing terrorism arrested for 2 months 19 June 2019, 17:14
- Memorial in place of the second biggest burial of the Holocaust victims opened in Caucasus 19 June 2019, 17:09
- The Georgian Church official accuses US acting ambassador of trying to aggravate the situation around LGBT-action in Georgia 18 June 2019, 11:09
- Religion department editor of the Dagestani newspaper detained on suspicion of terrorism financing 17 June 2019, 11:30
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25
- Last Sobibor uprising survivor dies 03 June 2019, 18:17
- Kiev Patriarchate does not exist, never existed - Patriarch Bartholomew 03 June 2019, 14:54
- Constantinople cannot solve complicated religious situation in Ukraine - Russian Orthodox Church 30 May 2019, 19:45
- Putin congratulates Jews on Salvation and Liberation Day 30 May 2019, 19:00
- Protests against construction of churches plotted by outside forces - Russian Orthodox Church 28 May 2019, 18:42
- Church on site of first Russian settlement Fort Ross in U.S. to be restored 28 May 2019, 17:27
- Russian Orthodox Church to open churches in Cyprus, Sweden 28 May 2019, 17:26
- Yekaterinburg residents offer some 50 sites for church construction 27 May 2019, 18:37
- Patriarch Kirill in meeting with Mijatovic asks Council of Europe to control observance of believers' rights in Ukraine 27 May 2019, 18:35
- Churches in Russia to keep being built as long as people need it - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 18:14
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for end to discrimination against Orthodox Christians in Ukraine under new president 27 May 2019, 18:13
- Europe, Russia should turn over page of misunderstanding - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells secretary general of Council of Europe is concerned about human rights issues 27 May 2019, 14:14
- Putin, Patriarch Kirill discuss matter of plans to build Yekaterinburg church – Peskov 27 May 2019, 13:42