06 December 2018, 16:50
Ukrainian presidential advisor describes future local Ukrainian church
Kiev, December 6, Interfax - The tomos which the Constantinople Patriarchate will grant the unified local Ukrainian Orthodox church envisages, above all, its independence, according to Rostislav Pavlenko, the director of the National Strategic Research Institute and an advisor to the Ukrainian president.
"1. The church is an independent entity, not a part of a different entity (a different church), the way that the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate) is part of the Russian Orthodox Church). 2. The church elects its own head, and he does not have to receive a 'blessing' from a different church, as happens in the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (Moscow Patriarchate). 3. The church has its own place in the Diptych (order of mentioning)," Pavlenko wrote on Facebook.
The tomos provides that the church will be independent in its internal life, he wrote.
"The recognition of the right to appeal to the ecumenical patriarch is not a restriction - it's one of the privileges of the ecumenical [patriarch] as first in honor. Everyone except for the Russian Orthodox Church recognizes that [...] there is no such thing as an 'informal head.' The head of the autocephalous church is the first among the bishops elected by them," Pavlenko wrote.
The charter of the Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church will be discussed and adopted by Ukrainian bishops at the unification assembly, he wrote.
The "Russian stories" about granting autocephaly to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church should be ignored and should not be disseminated, Pavlenko wrote.
According to earlier reports, the Unification Assembly will take place in St. Sophia Cathedral in Kiev on December 15.
- Over 100 tons of matzo produced in Russia on the eve of Passover 18 April 2019, 18:02
- Patriarch Kirill sends condolences over the fire at Notre Dame Cathedral 18 April 2019, 13:30
- Bortnikov warns about 1,500 trained Islamist terrorists returning to Europe 18 April 2019, 13:21
- FSB director says concerned about anti-Islamic terrorism, psycho killers 18 April 2019, 11:36
- Russian Church about Notre Dame fire: the world will never be the same 17 April 2019, 11:19
- Kremlin announces readiness to send Russian specialists to help restore Notre Dame in Paris 16 April 2019, 12:32
- Parishioners return to the restored Armenian church in Aleppo 16 April 2019, 12:06
- Russian Culture Ministry to propose organizing fundraiser to help restore Paris' Notre Dame 16 April 2019, 12:02
- Putin offers sympathy over Notre Dame Cathedral fire, offers sending best Russian specialists to Paris – Kremlin 16 April 2019, 12:00
- Russian Orthodox priest believes "real men" exist only in the Special Forces 15 April 2019, 17:40
- Lavrov, Patriarch Kirill discuss church crisis in Ukraine, Christian presence in Middle East 15 April 2019, 10:51
- Peter the Great's charter by which he appoints Metropolitan of Kiev delivered to Ukraine from Germany 15 April 2019, 10:50
- Crosses dismantled in Kuropaty have nothing to do with perpetuation of memory of Stalinist-era victims - Belarusian Ministry of Forestry 12 April 2019, 09:15
- Tajik court sentences former functionary of prohibited Islamic party to 15 years in prison 10 April 2019, 14:19
- Passover to prevent Jews from voting on April 21 "before star-rise" - Ukraine's chief rabbi 09 April 2019, 19:05
- Kiev court finds involuntary renaming of canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church to be unlawful 08 April 2019, 10:56
- Synod conducts rotation of Patriarch Kirill's vicars 05 April 2019, 15:44
- Beautification works, dismantling of illegally erected crosses underway at Kuropaty 05 April 2019, 10:47
- Rabbi Lazar thanks Putin for his help in returning home Israeli soldier's remnants 04 April 2019, 19:01
- Head of OCU congratulates NATO on anniversary, calls to protect freedom from evil together 04 April 2019, 15:33
- Religious communities in Russia begin joint efforts for restoring schools in Syria 04 April 2019, 10:59
- Ukraine's new church fears possibility of tomos revocation 04 April 2019, 10:26
- 750,000 abortions performed in Russia annually, only one-fifth for medical reasons 03 April 2019, 14:29
- Russian Church calls on OSCE to boost religious freedom monitoring in Ukraine 03 April 2019, 12:25
- Karabakh settlement process cannot be one-way road - Catholicos of All Armenians 03 April 2019, 12:19
- ECHR to consider case of discrimination against UOC community in Rovno Region 01 April 2019, 18:18
- Leader of Russia's Jewish community outraged with new Rammstein video 29 March 2019, 18:28
- Kiev court to consider Church's name change lawsuit against Culture Ministry 29 March 2019, 18:22
- Kremlin follows St. Isaac's Cathedral situation, but refrains from comment 29 March 2019, 14:36
- Crimea's Muslim board urges local Muslims not to get in touch with sect members 29 March 2019, 11:03