07 December 2018, 10:48
Ukraine's new Orthodox church will be independent - Poroshenko's entourage
Kiev, December 7, Interfax - The Ukrainian presidential advisor Rostislav Pavlenko has dismissed suggestions that Ukraine's new united Orthodox Church will be only partly independent.
"Myths are being spread that it would be some limited independence. Not so," Pavlenko said at a briefing in Kiev.
Indeed, the Ecumenical Patriarchate is the last point of appeal for resolving conflicts which cannot be resolved inside a particular church, he said. It is the exercise of this right that enabled "millions of the Orthodox Ukrainians to return to the pan-Orthodox communion" after the Patriarchate of Constantinople's decision of October 11, 2018, the advisor said.
"This is the exercise of the first by honor patriarch of his role as an arbiter," Pavlenko said.
Asked what title the new church leader will attain, he said the main thing was the creation of an independent church, and the question of a title was "that matter that will be discussed to ensure the correct manner of communicating with the outside church world and supplying information within," Pavlenko said.
"As we know, currently there exist 14 recognized independent Orthodox churches. Ten of them are led by patriarchs, three by archbishops, and three by metropolitans. But they are all independent. Likewise, a state can be led by a president or a monarch but they are all independent and equal states," he said.
At the unification Orthodox gathering on December 15, the hierarchs of the (Moscow Patriarchate) Ukrainian Orthodox Church will be treated in the same way as those of other churches, i.e. as equals and co-founders of a new independent united church, Pavlenko said.
- Russian Orthodox Church will not bless pilgrimages to Greek dioceses supporting new church of Ukraine 17 October 2019, 18:26
- Synod authorizes Patriarch Kirill to stop mentioning head of Greek Orthodox Church if it associates itself with OCU 17 October 2019, 17:36
- Traditional moral values, democracy can coexist - Patriarch Kirill 14 October 2019, 20:22
- Patriarch Kirill could visit Korean Peninsula next June 14 October 2019, 20:09
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42