07 December 2018, 12:09
Patriarch Bartholomew calls on UOC Metropolitan Onufry to take part in unification assembly
Kiev, December 7, Interfax - Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople has forwarded a letter to Metropolitan Onufry, the head of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (UOC, Moscow Patriarchate), informing him that he will not be able to carry his current title after the head of Ukraine's "local autocephalous church" has been elected.
"Addressing you as 'Your Eminence Metropolitan of Kiev', in the form of dispensation and mercy, I inform you that after the election of the Ukrainian church head by a body, which will consist of priests and lay people, you will no longer be able from an ecclesiological and canonical standpoint to continue carrying the title of metropolitan of Kiev, which nonetheless you still carry today in violation of the terms outlined in the official documents of 1686," Patriarch Bartholomew said in his letter.
The patriarch went on to ask Metropolitan Onufry to "immediately and in the spirit of concord and unity" participate in the founding assembly of the unified Ukrainian Orthodox Church alongside other UOC bishops and the elections of its head. The patriarch also allowed the metropolitan "to be a candidate for this post."
The patriarch also asked Metropolitan Onufry and other UOC bishops to enter into communion with Kiev Patriarchate leader Metropolitan Filaret and former Archbishop of Lvov Makariy.
In conclusion, Patriarch Bartholomew expressed confidence that Metropolitan Onufry would recognize the Constantinople Patriarchate's decision to heal the Ukrainian schism through creating a new Orthodox church in Ukraine.
Metropolitan Alexander (Drabinko), one of the few UOC bishops who want Ukraine to have a church independent of the Moscow Patriarchate, published a photocopy of Patriarch Bartholomew's letter on his Facebook page on Thursday evening. However, the letter is dated October 12, which means that it was written the day after the Synod of the Ecumenical Patriarchate abrogated the ordinance of 1686 that put the Kiev Metropolitanate under the jurisdiction of the Moscow Patriarchate, announced the opening of a mission in Kiev, and rehabilitated the leaders of the unrecognized Ukrainian Orthodox churches.
- Belarusian Catholics deny info on U.S. interference in religious situation in country 30 September 2020, 12:24
- U.S. trying to play Belarusian Orthodox, Catholics off against each other - Russian foreign intelligence chief 29 September 2020, 16:32
- Patriarch Kirill prays for peaceful settlement of conflict in Karabakh 28 September 2020, 13:25
- Russian prosecutors seeking to shut down Church of Last Testament 25 September 2020, 17:34
- Patriarch awards Lavrov the church order of Glory and Honor 23 September 2020, 18:35
- Followers of Church of the Last Testament gave part of their income to sect every month - source 23 September 2020, 18:29
- Two followers in Vissarion's community developed mental disorders - source 23 September 2020, 18:18
- Court arrests 3 leaders of Krasnoyarsk Church of the Last Testament 23 September 2020, 13:07
- Putin bestows Order for Merit to Fatherland, 1st degree on oldest ruling bishop of Russian Orthodox Church 22 September 2020, 17:38
- Berel Lazar invited to Bahrain 22 September 2020, 13:18
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45