07 December 2018, 12:13
IOPS to open division in Istanbul despite patriarch Bartholomew's opinion
Moscow, December 7, Interfax - The Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society (IOPS) is going to fund its division in Istanbul despite the refusal of Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew to bless this project, IOPS head Sergey Stepashin said.
"IOPS will also continue operations in Constantinople," Stepashin said at a meeting of the Russian Interreligious Council in Moscow.
Stepashin said he had met with the Constantinople patriarch in fall 2017 and he initially blessed the creation of an IOPS division in Istanbul. "You know what amazed me the most? It took me half an hour to explain to him why a division of the Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society is needed in Istanbul. Like he didn't understand that there is a common culture, common values, including pilgrimage. In April, we received a letter saying they don't need us in Istanbul," Stepashin said.
In April, Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko asked patriarch Bartholomew to grant Ukraine a tomos on autocephaly that would allow the creation of a church independent of the Moscow Patriarchate.
In the meantime, Constantinople's refusal to bless the creation of an IOPS division in Istanbul did not influence the plans to carry out that idea. "We intend to create our presence there. Thirty thousand Russians who need Russian presence live in Constantinople," Stepashin said.
- Kiev expects icon gifted to Lavrov in Sarajevo to be returned to Ukraine 15 January 2021, 17:46
- Arrested former schema-monk Sergy ends his hunger strike 15 January 2021, 16:49
- ECHR finds unproven accusations of Kiev in Russia's refusal to register religious organizations in Crimea 14 January 2021, 14:38
- Federal Penitentiary Service denies reports on deteriorating health of former schema-hegumen Sergy 14 January 2021, 14:10
- IOPS chairman says is 99% certain Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem will be returned to Russia this year 13 January 2021, 14:36
- Circus in Russia's Udmurtia says photos of animals with Nazi symbols Christmas celebration that caused scandal were taken out of context 13 January 2021, 13:24
- Supporter of Urals ex-schema-monk Sergy arrested in new case 12 January 2021, 17:29
- Emeritus Patriarchal Exarch of All Belarus Philaret dies 12 January 2021, 16:51
- Yakutian 'shaman' Gabyshev plans new 'march on Moscow' 12 January 2021, 15:28
- Arrested ex-schema-monk Sergy goes on dry hunger strike - Public Monitoring Commission 12 January 2021, 10:00
- Extremists may take advantage of new anti-money laundering regulations for religious organizations - State Duma committee 11 January 2021, 17:00
- Hockey player Datsyuk, actress Shukshina ask Putin to look into circumstances of former schema-hegumen Sergy's detention in Urals 11 January 2021, 16:23
- Christmas interview of Patriarch Kirill to Rossia TV (a shortened version) 11 January 2021, 10:10
- Decision on where icon gifted to Lavrov truly belongs can be made only after examination - Russian Orthodox Church 08 January 2021, 15:34
- Patriarch Kirill calls those who do not believe in danger of Covid-19 'stupid' 08 January 2021, 15:31
- Hagia Sophia's conversion into mosque Patriarch Bartholomew's divine retribution - Russian Church head 07 January 2021, 17:41
- Putin grateful to Syrian people for preserving Christian holy relics 07 January 2021, 17:39
- Hope, expectation of miracle human's guiding light - Putin 07 January 2021, 17:36
- Pope Francis accepts Belarusian Catholic leader Kondrusiewicz's resignation 03 January 2021, 17:18
- Russian Orthodox Church postpones Christmas Readings to Easter due to Covid-19 pandemic 30 December 2020, 19:01
- Moscow court arrests ex-schema-monk Sergy for 2 months 29 December 2020, 21:14
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy suspected of persuading 10 nuns to commit suicide 29 December 2020, 20:58
- Russian Bishops' Council to be held on November 15-18, 2021 29 December 2020, 19:57
- Russian Orthodox Church wished Russians to keep faith, hope and love 28 December 2020, 13:16
- Leader of Catholic Church in Belarus Kondrusiewicz returns to country 24 December 2020, 15:11
- Lukashenko reminds Belarusians of forgiveness, help to needy in Christmas Eve message 24 December 2020, 10:41
- Jehovah's Witness from Rostov-on-Don given suspended sentence 24 December 2020, 10:16
- Russia hands icon presented earlier to Lavrov in Sarajevo to embassy of Bosnia and Herzegovina in Moscow 23 December 2020, 18:08
- Head of Belarusian Catholics can return to country 23 December 2020, 10:04
- Biden's idea of allowing gender transitioning from age 8 'unacceptable' - Russian Orthodox Church 22 December 2020, 18:06