10 December 2018, 11:06
Poroshenko asks Metropolitan Onufry to help have Ukrainian naval sailors freed
Kiev, December 10, Interfax - Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko will undertake every necessary measure to have Ukrainian naval sailors detained in the Kerch Strait released from custody, the press service of the presidential executive office said.
Poroshenko said that to that end he addressed the head of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate. "Yesterday and a day before yesterday I talked to head of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate His Beatitude Onufry. I asked him to immediately contact Moscow so that the church will take relevant measures to return [naval sailors]. I will use any opportunity to return our soldiers. We will pray and hope that this will take place as soon as possible," the Ukrainian president said.
He said that he had also contacted a number of foreign leaders and thoroughly informed them of the current situation. He in particular had talks with NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg, German Chancellor Angela Merkel, U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, and Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.
Ukraine will never recognize a judgment of any Russian court, as it finds detained naval sailors as prisoners of war under the Geneva Convention, the head of state said.
"They should be immediately freed. Otherwise, Russia will be held accountable," he said.
Russian border guards used weapons to stop three Ukrainian naval vessels in the Kerch Strait area on November 25. The vessels in question - the tug Yany Kapu and the armored gunboats Berdiansk and Nikopol - were on their way from Odessa through the Black Sea and the Sea of Azov to Mariupol. The Ukrainian vessels were escorted to Kerch.
The courts of Simferopol and Kerch ruled to arrest 24 Ukrainians, who were onboard those naval ships, until January 25, 2019. These judgments have already been appealed with the Crimean Supreme Court, but the date of hearing these appeals has not been set yet.
Ukrainian naval sailors are charged with a crime enshrined in Part 3 Article 322 of the Russian Criminal Code (illegal crossing of the state border of the Russian Federation committed by a group as part of preliminary collusion or by an organized group with the use of violence or a threat to use it). The penalty on this charge is up to six years in prison.
The arrested naval sailors were convoyed to the remand center Lefortovo in Moscow as of November 29. At the same time, three injured sailors are being held at a medical facility of the remand center Matrosskaya Tishina. They are Ukrainian Security Service employee Vasily Soroka, and crewmembers Andrey Artemenko and Andrey Eider.
Along with the three injured, 21 Ukrainian naval sailors were arrested.
- Parishioners of the "Russian exarchate" in Paris enthusiastic about joining the Russian Orthodox Church 16 September 2019, 17:45
- Return of 'Russian exarchate' became possible due to radical changes in Russian Church, Russia in general - Patriarch Kirill 16 September 2019, 16:26
- Russian Orthodox Church denies rumors that head of Russian Church Abroad is missing 16 September 2019, 16:25
- Israel condemns defacing of monument to Holocaust victims in Ukraine's Nikolaev Region, demands perpetrators be punished 16 September 2019, 13:20
- The Russian Church about return of “Russian exarchate” parishes under its jurisdiction: a long way is almost accomplished 14 September 2019, 21:29
- Head of "Russian exarchate" of Constantinople joins Russian Orthodox Church 14 September 2019, 18:44
- Imam Velitov, convicted for justification of terrorism, leaves colony in Astrakhan 13 September 2019, 16:52
- Ukrainian court freezes "Kiev Patriarchate" liquidation 12 September 2019, 20:25
- Priest Alexander Volkov dismissed from the post of patriarchal press secretary 12 September 2019, 20:22
- Orthodox Businessman Malofeyev to leave A Just Russia 6 months after joining it 12 September 2019, 17:23
- Common moral, ethical values of all religions in Russia ensure state stability of country - Putin 12 September 2019, 17:21
- Guilt of men charged with attempted murder of Imam Chumakov unproven - Ingushetia jury 11 September 2019, 10:53
- State Dept. announces sanctions against 2 high-ranking Surgut investigators over Jehovah's Witnesses case (updated) 10 September 2019, 18:48
- The Russian Church official call modern Russian men a "national tragedy" 09 September 2019, 11:56
- The Russian Church will accept communities of the "Russian exarchate" ready to join it 09 September 2019, 11:20
- Russian Orthodox Church to continue reunification consultations with "Russian exarchate" 09 September 2019, 11:00
- Russian Jews to unveil monument to Roma victims of Nazism 05 September 2019, 16:00
- Jerusalem Patriarch takes the side of Russian Church in the "Ukrainian question" 05 September 2019, 15:57
- Constantinople appoints head of "Russian exarchate" a metropolitan responsible for establishing new church in Ukraine 05 September 2019, 13:06
- "Russian exarchate" in Europe refused to subordinate to Constantinople 04 September 2019, 10:54
- Some 40,000 Hasidic pilgrims expected to attend Rosh Hashanah celebration in Ukraine 03 September 2019, 11:07
- ROC metropolitan denies Constantinople accusations of non-canonical actions of the Moscow Patriarchate in Southeast Asia 29 August 2019, 15:43
- World Union of Old Believers set up in Moscow 29 August 2019, 13:05
- Holocaust victims monument vandalized in southern Ukraine 28 August 2019, 16:58
- Monument to Ukrainian nationalists unveiled at Jewish cemetery in Lvov Region 26 August 2019, 19:45
- Poroshenko warns of ongoing attacks on Ukrainian army, language, faith 26 August 2019, 17:13
- Founder of Russian icon museum - among victims of helicopter crash in Greece 22 August 2019, 12:50
- Al-Assad asks for Russian language teachers in Syria to counter Western culture and Wahhabism - Russian MP 20 August 2019, 15:28
- Ukraine has made a great contribution to combating antisemitism - Netanyahu 19 August 2019, 18:19
- Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church ceases to exist 14 August 2019, 20:12