15 December 2018, 20:27
Ukrainian Orthodox Church says its bishop's call for participation in 'unifying assembly' fake news
Kiev, December 15, Interfax - The Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Diocese of Polesye and Sarny has denied reports claiming that its head, Bishop Anatoly, called on believers to participate in the so-called unifying assembly.
"The press service of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Diocese of Sarny reports that a fake address of the head of the diocese of Sarny is circulating [...] and is being displayed on the Internet concerning the unifying assembly, alleging that His Grace calls on the clergy and the believers to participate in the establishment of a 'local church,'" the press service for the diocese said in a statement.
In this regard, the press service for the diocese of Sarny said that no such addresses have been made.
"We believe that at present the Turkish Patriarch of Constantinople has deceived the people of Ukraine and the state, by refraining from granting a complete autocephaly and the status of patriarchy for the so-called 'local church', thus causing the distrust of the episcopacy, the clergy, and the believers of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in this process," the Diocese of Sarny said.
The aforementioned fake news should be viewed as "a put-up job of the enemies" of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church aimed at "undermining the authority of the head and the clergy of the diocese of Sarny of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church and deceiving the Ukrainian people," it said.
This October, the Rovno Region clergy, including the diocese of Sarny, was the first in the Ukrainian Orthodox Church to voice its support to Metropolitan Onufry after the Patriarchate of Constantinople had announces its plans regarding Ukraine.
As reported, on Saturday, Kiev is to host the assembly, at which the Ukrainian authorities are planning to create a church, independent from Moscow, with support from Constantinople. The Ukrainian Orthodox Church refused to participate in it, calling into question the success of the entire endeavor.
In the past few weeks, the Ukrainian authorities have exerted pressure on the clergy of the canonical church by means of summonses for questioning, searches and initiating a criminal case on "incitement to enmity."
- Russian prosecutors seeking to shut down Church of Last Testament 25 September 2020, 17:34
- Patriarch awards Lavrov the church order of Glory and Honor 23 September 2020, 18:35
- Followers of Church of the Last Testament gave part of their income to sect every month - source 23 September 2020, 18:29
- Two followers in Vissarion's community developed mental disorders - source 23 September 2020, 18:18
- Court arrests 3 leaders of Krasnoyarsk Church of the Last Testament 23 September 2020, 13:07
- Putin bestows Order for Merit to Fatherland, 1st degree on oldest ruling bishop of Russian Orthodox Church 22 September 2020, 17:38
- Berel Lazar invited to Bahrain 22 September 2020, 13:18
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23