21 December 2018, 10:58
Moscow Patriarchate compares the renaming of the UOC with the bandages of Jews under Hitler
Moscow, December 21, Interfax - The Verkhovnaya Rada's decision to rename the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (UOC) incites hatred and will lead to religious confrontation, the Moscow Patriarchate said.
"The law is obviously aimed at inciting religious confrontation within the country and will lead to more instability in Ukrainian society. By its nature, it prompts associations with the times of the Third Reich when Jews were forced to wear special badges at all times to make people feel animosity against them and make it easier for the Nazi to look for objects to satisfy their hatred," Secretary of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Igor Yakimchuk told Interfax.
He was commenting on a bill passed by the Rada that would require the UOC to indicate its affiliation with the center in the "aggressor state" in its name.
The bill is at odds with international norms on religious freedom and is discriminatory toward the UOC, the largest religious organization in Ukraine, the priest said.
"[The document] was passed at the request of the Ukrainian schismatic leader Filaret Denisenko and is aimed at creating conditions for taking over the temples of the canonical Church," he said.
Nevertheless, "the current Ukrainian government is unlikely to be able to break the loyalty of the Orthodox Ukrainians to their home church with such dubious measures," the priest said.
- Trial of Aum Shinrikyo's Russian cell head begins in Rostov-on-Don 27 May 2020, 21:23
- Siberian hermit Agafya Lykova does not know much about coronavirus, but prays for the sick 27 May 2020, 18:17
- The Protection Monastery in Moscow with St. Matrona relics opened for parishioners in spite of the acting ban of Russian Church 27 May 2020, 17:04
- Yekaterinburg diocese bans services of priest who cursed those who close churches over pandemic 27 May 2020, 11:17
- Defense team for Yakutia's shaman Gabyshev asks ECHR for urgent effort toward his release 26 May 2020, 13:56
- Chief rabbi of Russia believes attention to our neighbors to be the main achievement of the pandemic 25 May 2020, 16:12
- Coronavirus may be part of biopsychological war - Russian Orthodox Church 25 May 2020, 15:09
- Kiev Lavra of the Caves reopens following quarantine 25 May 2020, 14:03
- Police talked to Metropolitan Longin of Saratov as he came to the market without a mask 22 May 2020, 18:08
- Chairman of coordination center of North Caucasus Muslims hospitalized in Moscow 22 May 2020, 18:07
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia to deliver 240 tons of Kosher food to those in need 22 May 2020, 17:43
- Russian Orthodox Church speaker calls its financial situation extremely difficult 22 May 2020, 16:52
- St. Petersburg's Evening Light charity to appeal designation of U.S. preacher Branham's materials as extremist 22 May 2020, 13:38
- Russian Orthodox Church organizes donation of blood from people who recovered from coronavirus 21 May 2020, 16:47
- Moldovan PM, in response to Synod's threats, calls for praying for Orthodox clergy's clarity of mind 21 May 2020, 12:55
- Muslims of Tatarstan to celebrate Eid al-Fitr in their homes 21 May 2020, 10:22
- Russian Orthodox Church yet to decide whether Patriarch Kirill will visit Serbia in Oct 20 May 2020, 19:50
- Moldovan Orthodox Church says Bill Gates, 5G dangerous for mankind 20 May 2020, 19:46
- Rabbi Lazar believes pandemic is a result of people's disassociation 20 May 2020, 13:35
- Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov recovered from coronavirus 19 May 2020, 21:04
- Jews all over the world celebrate the Victory Day according to the Jewish calendar 19 May 2020, 12:15
- Putin recommends Russian Muslims celebrate Eid al-Fitr at home (updated) 18 May 2020, 16:30
- World Russian People's Assembly, led by Patriarch Kirill, demands investigation into causes of pandemic 18 May 2020, 13:38
- LGBT activists in Georgia hold annual rally online due to pandemic 18 May 2020, 11:39
- Life has become a priority first time in Russian history during Covid-19 pandemic - Jewish leader 15 May 2020, 12:22
- Family climate worsens for 10% of Russians in self-isolation, 19% claim opposite - poll 14 May 2020, 18:53
- Eid al-Fitr will not cause crowds outside Moscow's main mosque this year due to coronavirus 14 May 2020, 18:49
- Yakut shaman Gabyshev forcibly taken to mental hospital 12 May 2020, 19:07
- Annual Jewish parade to commemorate the end of epidemic will be held online 12 May 2020, 13:13
- Metropolitan Hilarion opposes Stalin's mosaic portrait at Russia's Armed Forces main church 12 May 2020, 10:26