21 December 2018, 10:58
Moscow Patriarchate compares the renaming of the UOC with the bandages of Jews under Hitler
Moscow, December 21, Interfax - The Verkhovnaya Rada's decision to rename the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (UOC) incites hatred and will lead to religious confrontation, the Moscow Patriarchate said.
"The law is obviously aimed at inciting religious confrontation within the country and will lead to more instability in Ukrainian society. By its nature, it prompts associations with the times of the Third Reich when Jews were forced to wear special badges at all times to make people feel animosity against them and make it easier for the Nazi to look for objects to satisfy their hatred," Secretary of the Synodal Department for External Church Relations Archpriest Igor Yakimchuk told Interfax.
He was commenting on a bill passed by the Rada that would require the UOC to indicate its affiliation with the center in the "aggressor state" in its name.
The bill is at odds with international norms on religious freedom and is discriminatory toward the UOC, the largest religious organization in Ukraine, the priest said.
"[The document] was passed at the request of the Ukrainian schismatic leader Filaret Denisenko and is aimed at creating conditions for taking over the temples of the canonical Church," he said.
Nevertheless, "the current Ukrainian government is unlikely to be able to break the loyalty of the Orthodox Ukrainians to their home church with such dubious measures," the priest said.
- Patriarch Kirill to cease liturgical commemoration of Patriarch of Alexandria - Moscow Patriarchate spokesman 08 November 2019, 17:41
- Jihadists prepare lone terrorists in the social networks - FSB chief 07 November 2019, 18:40
- Latvian Orthodox Church denies rumors about transition to Constantinople jurisdiction 07 November 2019, 14:54
- The synagogue near Moscow wins international award 07 November 2019, 14:22
- Lavrov blames U.S. for split of the Orthodox world 06 November 2019, 16:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church is responsible for the destiny of Orthodoxy all around the world 06 November 2019, 11:42
- Patriarch Kirill says global Orthodoxy will overcome schism 06 November 2019, 11:39
- Relations between Russian Orthodox Church, Russian Archdiocese abroad not based on submission - Metropolitan Jean 06 November 2019, 11:37
- Head of Russian parishes in Europe believes the West has great missionary potential 06 November 2019, 11:35
- Leader of Russian parishes in Europe expects new "Russian Exarchate" communities to join Russian Orthodox Church 05 November 2019, 19:50
- Sentence for leader of Tomsk Jehovah's Witnesses consistent with current Russian law - Peskov 05 November 2019, 16:13
- Radical Islamist detained on suspicion of plotting terror attack in Moscow 05 November 2019, 13:25
- Patriarch Kirill stopped mentioning head of Greek Church during religious service 03 November 2019, 11:32
- Patriarch Kirill gives Archbishop Jean document reuniting Archdiocese of Russian Churches in W. Europe with Moscow Patriarchate 03 November 2019, 11:27
- Metropolitan Hilarion says his meeting with Pompeo foiled by Russian Orthodox Church opponents 02 November 2019, 18:49
- Russian Orthodox Church to stop communion with head of Greek Church 02 November 2019, 18:46
- Patriarch Kirill signs document reuniting Western Europe archdiocese with Russian Orthodox Church 01 November 2019, 18:37
- Federation of Jewish Communities president calls sentence on Israeli traveler caught with hashish in Russia excessive 31 October 2019, 11:20
- Putin concerned about Christians' mass exodus from Middle East 31 October 2019, 10:00
- Armenian Church calls U.S. congressmen's recognition of Armenian genocide important for restoration of historical justice 30 October 2019, 15:35
- Russian Church hopes no one else will recognize OCU after Greek Church 30 October 2019, 15:27
- Putin plans to meet with heads of Mideast Christian Churches in Budapest 30 October 2019, 14:06
- Greek Orthodox Church de facto recognizes OCU, Ukrainian Orthodox Church calls it 'backstabbing' 30 October 2019, 12:52
- CSTO fears Islamists who fled from Kurdish custody might migrate to Central Asia 30 October 2019, 11:42
- Georgian Patriarchate denies preparations for Catholicos-Patriarch Ilia II's resignation 30 October 2019, 11:01
- Russian Orthodox Church warning of inevitable breakup with Greek bishops over OCU recognition 30 October 2019, 11:00
- Eight communities of Old Believers granted Russian citizenship, planning to move from Brazil, U.S. to Primorye 29 October 2019, 10:49
- Estonian conservatives urge authorities to deprive LGBT of state financing 29 October 2019, 10:22
- The Russian Church suggests making the Bases of Family principal school subject from 1st to 11th grade 29 October 2019, 10:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church suggests making T-shirts with Bible quotes 28 October 2019, 17:47