21 December 2018, 12:32
Constantinople Patriarchate is accomplice to persecution of Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Patriarch Kirill (updated)
Moscow, December 21, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia says that the Constantinople Patriarchate is partly to blame for today's persecution of followers of Ukraine's canonical Church.
In his report presented at a meeting of the Moscow Diocese on Friday, Patriarch Kirill summed up the results of 2018, focusing on the situation in Ukraine's church life, where, he said, pressure has been heightened on the clergy and believers of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, "who do not want to participate in anti-canonical initiatives of political schemers and schismatics."
"The state's highest-ranking officers have started to say ever more often in public that followers of the canonical church are aliens, who have no place in their own country. But it is millions of Ukrainian citizens! The Constantinople Synod and its patriarch have effectively taken the side of the persecutors," Patriarch Kirill said.
The primate of Russian Orthodox Church said that it "deeply pains" him to talk about this situation because it concerns the authorities of the Church that "was our Mother Church" and people with whom the patriarch "has met so many times, prayed, and looked for a common understanding of what serves unity."
Patriarch Kirill also said the Russian Orthodox Church had no other choice but to break off relations with the Constantinople Patriarchate after it declared Ukraine its canonical territory and entered into communion with uncanonical church structures there.
"Communion reflects the unity of a community that gathers around the throne and the chalice. But if there is no unity, what does the sacrament of church unity - communion - turn into then? If there is no unity, how is it possible to serve together? Such profanation must not be allowed," Patriarch Kirill said.
- Zelensky urges clerics to back Ukraine's initiatives in run-up to Normandy-format summit 05 December 2019, 13:54
- Saint Isaac's Cathedral and 5 other churchs in St. Petersburg received bomb threats 05 December 2019, 13:52
- Serbian president invites Putin to attend opening of St. Sava Cathedral in Belgrade 04 December 2019, 19:35
- Moscow's Christ the Savior Cathedral alerted to bomb threat 03 December 2019, 20:55
- One year on OCU defectors account for less than 1% of our parishes - UOC 03 December 2019, 18:46
- Moscow Jewish Museum to break stereotypes - director 03 December 2019, 17:26
- FSB reports detention of 9 Hizb ut-Tahrir members recruited Muslims 03 December 2019, 14:12
- Russian Bishops' Council to assess global Orthodox situation in near future 02 December 2019, 20:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church calls for end of infowar between Ukraine, Russia 02 December 2019, 18:45
- Russian Patriarch Kirill invited to Estonia by country's Lutheran leader 29 November 2019, 18:31
- Moscow court arrests U.S. rabbi in absentia in Schneerson library case 29 November 2019, 13:56
- Putin notes importance of coordination with OIC in countering threats 29 November 2019, 12:04
- Abortion rate in Russia declines considerably in past 18 years 28 November 2019, 19:06
- Patriarch of Alexandria sends kisses to head of OCU 28 November 2019, 18:29
- FJCR sees plans to arrest U.S. rabbi in Schneerson library case as absurd 28 November 2019, 17:23
- Bulgarian Church takes step toward recognizing OCU 28 November 2019, 17:21
- Ukraine has seen no attacks motivated by anti-Semitism in past 3 years - Association of Jewish Communities 27 November 2019, 17:18
- ROCOR to build new church in U.S 27 November 2019, 17:17
- Orthodox priest in Russia's Jewish Autonomous Region suspected of child molestation 26 November 2019, 14:25
- Georgian patriarch, foreign ambassadors discuss detention of doctor Gaprindashvili in S. Ossetia 26 November 2019, 10:07
- Interreligious Council of Russia calls on int'l community to restore Middle East's holy sites 25 November 2019, 20:28
- Sholem Aleichem monument vandalized near synagogue in Kiev 25 November 2019, 18:46
- Russian parliament, govt agree that extra measures needed to fight domestic violence - Matviyenko 25 November 2019, 16:06
- Russian Orthodox Church cautions against combating domestic violence with Western methods 25 November 2019, 16:05
- Patriarch Kirill suspends operation of Alexandria Patriarchate's Moscow mission 25 November 2019, 11:35
- Meeting between heads of Churches important in crisis in inter-Orthodox relations - Metropolitan Hilarion 22 November 2019, 15:41
- Russian Orthodox Church welcomes Jerusalem patriarch's proposal of Church leaders' meeting to settle differences 21 November 2019, 20:50
- Patriarch of Jerusalem awarded for strengthening Orthodox Christian unity 21 November 2019, 20:47
- Patriarch of Jerusalem initiates meeting of heads of local churches in Amman with view to preserving church unity 21 November 2019, 17:22
- Putin stresses importance of joint efforts to protect Christians in Middle East 20 November 2019, 21:09