21 December 2018, 12:32
Constantinople Patriarchate is accomplice to persecution of Ukrainian Orthodox Church - Patriarch Kirill (updated)
Moscow, December 21, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia says that the Constantinople Patriarchate is partly to blame for today's persecution of followers of Ukraine's canonical Church.
In his report presented at a meeting of the Moscow Diocese on Friday, Patriarch Kirill summed up the results of 2018, focusing on the situation in Ukraine's church life, where, he said, pressure has been heightened on the clergy and believers of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, "who do not want to participate in anti-canonical initiatives of political schemers and schismatics."
"The state's highest-ranking officers have started to say ever more often in public that followers of the canonical church are aliens, who have no place in their own country. But it is millions of Ukrainian citizens! The Constantinople Synod and its patriarch have effectively taken the side of the persecutors," Patriarch Kirill said.
The primate of Russian Orthodox Church said that it "deeply pains" him to talk about this situation because it concerns the authorities of the Church that "was our Mother Church" and people with whom the patriarch "has met so many times, prayed, and looked for a common understanding of what serves unity."
Patriarch Kirill also said the Russian Orthodox Church had no other choice but to break off relations with the Constantinople Patriarchate after it declared Ukraine its canonical territory and entered into communion with uncanonical church structures there.
"Communion reflects the unity of a community that gathers around the throne and the chalice. But if there is no unity, what does the sacrament of church unity - communion - turn into then? If there is no unity, how is it possible to serve together? Such profanation must not be allowed," Patriarch Kirill said.
- Extremism case opened against 5 members of Jehovah's Witnesses in Syktyvkar 04 March 2021, 13:15
- Putin orders Interior Ministry to prosecute provocateurs, suppress all manifestations of extremism 03 March 2021, 16:25
- Kremlin not commenting on end of discussion about monument on Lubyanskaya Square - Peskov 01 March 2021, 14:19
- Moscow Mayor Sobyanin proposes to leave Lubyanskaya Square as it is for now 26 February 2021, 22:42
- Acting leader of Abkhazian Diocese is member of Georgian Church - Georgian Patriarchate 26 February 2021, 17:44
- Search underway on premises of Sredneuralsky Convent 26 February 2021, 17:41
- Defrocked priest Sergy's pretrial detention extended until end of spring 26 February 2021, 10:00
- Armenian Apostolic Church urges politicians to start talks 25 February 2021, 15:04
- Omsk resident fined 375,000 rubles for excusing terror attack in New Zealand 25 February 2021, 11:48
- Yakutian shaman Gabyshev charged with violence against police officer 25 February 2021, 10:45
- Meeting between Russian patriarch, Pope doesn't improve Christians' position in Middle East contrary to expectations - Metropolitan Hilarion 24 February 2021, 10:00
- Muscovites will choose between monuments to Dzerzhinsky, Alexander Nevsky on Lubyanka Square 20 February 2021, 10:03
- Former schema-monk Sergy admits giving bribe amounting to 'millions of dollars' 18 February 2021, 16:30
- World Russian People's Council backs idea of Ivan III monument on Lubyanka Square in Moscow 18 February 2021, 16:11
- FJCR suggests reinstalling fountain at Lubyanka 18 February 2021, 15:30
- Suspected organizer of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Russia's Kemerovo region placed under house arrest 17 February 2021, 14:11
- Police detain man who splashed Holocaust monument in Yerevan with paint 17 February 2021, 13:44
- The giant castle of corona cannibal to be burned in Russia on Maslenitsa 17 February 2021, 12:08
- Lawyers' association supports bill limiting surrogate motherhood in Russia 17 February 2021, 10:00
- FSB detain people suspected of financing ISIL under guise of donations to mosques in Crimea, Tatarstan 16 February 2021, 15:19
- World Union of Old Believers backs idea to place Ivan III monument on Moscow's Lubyanka Square 16 February 2021, 09:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion concerned by detention on non-participants in unsanctioned rallies 15 February 2021, 09:17
- Moscow court arrests 2 Jehovah's Witnesses 15 February 2021, 09:15
- Foreign Intelligence Service head compares those who insult WWII veterans to Nazi collaborators 12 February 2021, 11:53
- Congress of the Leaders of World and Traditional Religions in Kazakhstan postponed to next year 12 February 2021, 11:07
- Sputnik V vaccine halal - Gamaleya Center expert 12 February 2021, 10:03
- Court denies former schema hegumen Sergy right to participate in dispute over church on territory of Sredneuralsky Convent 10 February 2021, 20:39
- Several organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 10 February 2021, 11:43
- Resident of Russia's Dagestan jailed for 10 years for killing local rabbi 10 February 2021, 11:14
- Tajik authorities classify sentence of opposition Islamic party leader 09 February 2021, 17:35