21 December 2018, 17:06
Belarusian Orthodox Church declares autocephalous Ukrainian church schismatic
Minsk, December 21, Interfax - The Belarusian Orthodox Church has decided at a general assembly of the Minsk Diocese to declare the Autocephalous Ukrainian Orthodox Church schismatic.
The relevant decision was published on the official website of the Belarusian Orthodox Church.
"The so-called Autocephalous Orthodox Church of Ukraine headed by so-called Metropolitan Epiphaniy of Kiev and All Ukraine shall be declared a schismatic community," the decision said.
According to the Belarusian Orthodox Church, the general assembly of the Minsk Diocese was held "in light of the existing situation: the encroachment of the Patriarchate of Constantinople on the canonical territory of the Russian Orthodox Church, the holding of the so-called unifying assembly in Kiev, and the establishment of a new pseudo-church structure in Ukraine."
In addition, the Minsk Diocese assembly unanimously decided to support the decision of the Russian Orthodox Church's Synod on the impossibility of further communion with the Patriarchate of Constantinople.
The Belarusian Orthodox Church is also planning "to explain to the clergy and parishioners of the Minsk Diocese that it is impossible to perform joint church service with 'the clergy' of the aforementioned uncanonical structure and participation in its 'sacraments.'"
The Belarusian Orthodox Church also expressed "sincere filial gratitude to His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia" and "fraternal support to His Beatitude Metropolitan Onufry of Kiev and All Ukraine."
As reported, on December 15, the unifying assembly, which was held in presence of Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko, established a new Ukrainian church and elected the head of this structure, Epiphaniy Dumenko. Epiphaniy is expected to be granted the tomos on autocephaly by the Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople in presence of the Ukrainian president on January 6.
- Russian Orthodox Church welcomes Jerusalem patriarch's proposal of Church leaders' meeting to settle differences 21 November 2019, 20:50
- Patriarch of Jerusalem awarded for strengthening Orthodox Christian unity 21 November 2019, 20:47
- Patriarch of Jerusalem initiates meeting of heads of local churches in Amman with view to preserving church unity 21 November 2019, 17:22
- Putin stresses importance of joint efforts to protect Christians in Middle East 20 November 2019, 21:09
- OCU opponents picket Greek, Turkish embassies in Moscow (updated) 18 November 2019, 18:21
- St. Petersburg court releases leader of local Scientologists after 2.5 years of arrest 15 November 2019, 17:10
- Putin meets in Brasilia with church rector who converted from Catholicism to Orthodoxy 15 November 2019, 11:10
- There is war going on against traditional religions, younger generation is most vulnerable in this war - Patriarch Kirill 14 November 2019, 18:18
- Patriarch Kirill invited to visit Finland in spring 2020 14 November 2019, 16:57
- Christians persecuted in some African countries - Patriarch Kirill to religious leaders 14 November 2019, 16:55
- Europe losing Christian identity due to secularism - Patriarch Kirill 14 November 2019, 16:51
- Russian specialists may help restore Notre Dame in Paris 14 November 2019, 16:41
- Cathedral mosque to open in Crimea in summer 2020 13 November 2019, 18:28
- Ukrainian Jewish Committee slams Kiev lawmakers for naming streets after Nazi collaborators 13 November 2019, 13:13
- Patriarch of Alexandria receives letter with Kiss of Judas fresco after recognizing OCU 13 November 2019, 12:29
- Patriarch Kirill to cease liturgical commemoration of Patriarch of Alexandria - Moscow Patriarchate spokesman 08 November 2019, 17:41
- Jihadists prepare lone terrorists in the social networks - FSB chief 07 November 2019, 18:40
- Latvian Orthodox Church denies rumors about transition to Constantinople jurisdiction 07 November 2019, 14:54
- The synagogue near Moscow wins international award 07 November 2019, 14:22
- Lavrov blames U.S. for split of the Orthodox world 06 November 2019, 16:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church is responsible for the destiny of Orthodoxy all around the world 06 November 2019, 11:42
- Patriarch Kirill says global Orthodoxy will overcome schism 06 November 2019, 11:39
- Relations between Russian Orthodox Church, Russian Archdiocese abroad not based on submission - Metropolitan Jean 06 November 2019, 11:37
- Head of Russian parishes in Europe believes the West has great missionary potential 06 November 2019, 11:35
- Leader of Russian parishes in Europe expects new "Russian Exarchate" communities to join Russian Orthodox Church 05 November 2019, 19:50
- Sentence for leader of Tomsk Jehovah's Witnesses consistent with current Russian law - Peskov 05 November 2019, 16:13
- Radical Islamist detained on suspicion of plotting terror attack in Moscow 05 November 2019, 13:25
- Patriarch Kirill stopped mentioning head of Greek Church during religious service 03 November 2019, 11:32
- Patriarch Kirill gives Archbishop Jean document reuniting Archdiocese of Russian Churches in W. Europe with Moscow Patriarchate 03 November 2019, 11:27
- Metropolitan Hilarion says his meeting with Pompeo foiled by Russian Orthodox Church opponents 02 November 2019, 18:49