21 December 2018, 17:06
Belarusian Orthodox Church declares autocephalous Ukrainian church schismatic
Minsk, December 21, Interfax - The Belarusian Orthodox Church has decided at a general assembly of the Minsk Diocese to declare the Autocephalous Ukrainian Orthodox Church schismatic.
The relevant decision was published on the official website of the Belarusian Orthodox Church.
"The so-called Autocephalous Orthodox Church of Ukraine headed by so-called Metropolitan Epiphaniy of Kiev and All Ukraine shall be declared a schismatic community," the decision said.
According to the Belarusian Orthodox Church, the general assembly of the Minsk Diocese was held "in light of the existing situation: the encroachment of the Patriarchate of Constantinople on the canonical territory of the Russian Orthodox Church, the holding of the so-called unifying assembly in Kiev, and the establishment of a new pseudo-church structure in Ukraine."
In addition, the Minsk Diocese assembly unanimously decided to support the decision of the Russian Orthodox Church's Synod on the impossibility of further communion with the Patriarchate of Constantinople.
The Belarusian Orthodox Church is also planning "to explain to the clergy and parishioners of the Minsk Diocese that it is impossible to perform joint church service with 'the clergy' of the aforementioned uncanonical structure and participation in its 'sacraments.'"
The Belarusian Orthodox Church also expressed "sincere filial gratitude to His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia" and "fraternal support to His Beatitude Metropolitan Onufry of Kiev and All Ukraine."
As reported, on December 15, the unifying assembly, which was held in presence of Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko, established a new Ukrainian church and elected the head of this structure, Epiphaniy Dumenko. Epiphaniy is expected to be granted the tomos on autocephaly by the Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople in presence of the Ukrainian president on January 6.
- Extremism case opened against 5 members of Jehovah's Witnesses in Syktyvkar 04 March 2021, 13:15
- Putin orders Interior Ministry to prosecute provocateurs, suppress all manifestations of extremism 03 March 2021, 16:25
- Kremlin not commenting on end of discussion about monument on Lubyanskaya Square - Peskov 01 March 2021, 14:19
- Moscow Mayor Sobyanin proposes to leave Lubyanskaya Square as it is for now 26 February 2021, 22:42
- Acting leader of Abkhazian Diocese is member of Georgian Church - Georgian Patriarchate 26 February 2021, 17:44
- Search underway on premises of Sredneuralsky Convent 26 February 2021, 17:41
- Defrocked priest Sergy's pretrial detention extended until end of spring 26 February 2021, 10:00
- Armenian Apostolic Church urges politicians to start talks 25 February 2021, 15:04
- Omsk resident fined 375,000 rubles for excusing terror attack in New Zealand 25 February 2021, 11:48
- Yakutian shaman Gabyshev charged with violence against police officer 25 February 2021, 10:45
- Meeting between Russian patriarch, Pope doesn't improve Christians' position in Middle East contrary to expectations - Metropolitan Hilarion 24 February 2021, 10:00
- Muscovites will choose between monuments to Dzerzhinsky, Alexander Nevsky on Lubyanka Square 20 February 2021, 10:03
- Former schema-monk Sergy admits giving bribe amounting to 'millions of dollars' 18 February 2021, 16:30
- World Russian People's Council backs idea of Ivan III monument on Lubyanka Square in Moscow 18 February 2021, 16:11
- FJCR suggests reinstalling fountain at Lubyanka 18 February 2021, 15:30
- Suspected organizer of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Russia's Kemerovo region placed under house arrest 17 February 2021, 14:11
- Police detain man who splashed Holocaust monument in Yerevan with paint 17 February 2021, 13:44
- The giant castle of corona cannibal to be burned in Russia on Maslenitsa 17 February 2021, 12:08
- Lawyers' association supports bill limiting surrogate motherhood in Russia 17 February 2021, 10:00
- FSB detain people suspected of financing ISIL under guise of donations to mosques in Crimea, Tatarstan 16 February 2021, 15:19
- World Union of Old Believers backs idea to place Ivan III monument on Moscow's Lubyanka Square 16 February 2021, 09:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion concerned by detention on non-participants in unsanctioned rallies 15 February 2021, 09:17
- Moscow court arrests 2 Jehovah's Witnesses 15 February 2021, 09:15
- Foreign Intelligence Service head compares those who insult WWII veterans to Nazi collaborators 12 February 2021, 11:53
- Congress of the Leaders of World and Traditional Religions in Kazakhstan postponed to next year 12 February 2021, 11:07
- Sputnik V vaccine halal - Gamaleya Center expert 12 February 2021, 10:03
- Court denies former schema hegumen Sergy right to participate in dispute over church on territory of Sredneuralsky Convent 10 February 2021, 20:39
- Several organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 10 February 2021, 11:43
- Resident of Russia's Dagestan jailed for 10 years for killing local rabbi 10 February 2021, 11:14
- Tajik authorities classify sentence of opposition Islamic party leader 09 February 2021, 17:35