24 December 2018, 10:22
Ukrainian parliamentary opposition to go to Constitutional Court, Prosecutor General's Office over church renaming bill
Kiev, Decenber 24, Interfax - Members of the Opposition Bloc faction at the Ukrainian Verkhovnaya Rada intend to go to the Prosecutor General's Office and the Constitutional Court, citing irregularities in the passage of a bill on renaming the canonical Orthodox Church, Mykhail Papiyev of the Opposition Bloc, a member of the procedural committee, said on Friday.
"While passing Bill No. 5309 yesterday, the Verkhovnaya Rada chairman violated the procedural norms and the Ukrainian constitution," Papiyev said at a plenary session.
There have been precedents of the Constitutional Court's declaring some laws as unconstitutional if the procedure of their passage had been violated, he said.
The Opposition Bloc faction members are determined to initiate the special procedure to have the bill passed on the whole declared unconstitutional, he said.
"As the actions by the Verkhovnaya Rada chairman might have involved indications of the violation of Criminal Court Article 364 Part 1, which deals with abuse of office, we are asking the Prosecutor General's Office to file this information with the General Register of Pretrial Investigations and conduct a pretrial investigation," Papiyev said.
The Verkhovnaya Rada passed legislation obliging the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate to indicate its affiliation with the Russian Orthodox Church in its name on Thursday. The bill amending the Law on Freedom of Conscience and Religious Organizations was supported by 240 parliamentarians.
The legislation stipulates that a religious organization that is a structural part of a religious organization with its center in the state that "has committed military aggression against Ukraine and temporarily occupied its territory" must indicate affiliation with this religious organization outside the country in its name. Such a religious organization would have to fully indicate the name of the organization whose part it is and whose center is located outside Ukraine in its statutory name. It can add the words "in Ukraine" to this name.
- Patriarch Kirill to cease liturgical commemoration of Patriarch of Alexandria - Moscow Patriarchate spokesman 08 November 2019, 17:41
- Jihadists prepare lone terrorists in the social networks - FSB chief 07 November 2019, 18:40
- Latvian Orthodox Church denies rumors about transition to Constantinople jurisdiction 07 November 2019, 14:54
- The synagogue near Moscow wins international award 07 November 2019, 14:22
- Lavrov blames U.S. for split of the Orthodox world 06 November 2019, 16:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church is responsible for the destiny of Orthodoxy all around the world 06 November 2019, 11:42
- Patriarch Kirill says global Orthodoxy will overcome schism 06 November 2019, 11:39
- Relations between Russian Orthodox Church, Russian Archdiocese abroad not based on submission - Metropolitan Jean 06 November 2019, 11:37
- Head of Russian parishes in Europe believes the West has great missionary potential 06 November 2019, 11:35
- Leader of Russian parishes in Europe expects new "Russian Exarchate" communities to join Russian Orthodox Church 05 November 2019, 19:50
- Sentence for leader of Tomsk Jehovah's Witnesses consistent with current Russian law - Peskov 05 November 2019, 16:13
- Radical Islamist detained on suspicion of plotting terror attack in Moscow 05 November 2019, 13:25
- Patriarch Kirill stopped mentioning head of Greek Church during religious service 03 November 2019, 11:32
- Patriarch Kirill gives Archbishop Jean document reuniting Archdiocese of Russian Churches in W. Europe with Moscow Patriarchate 03 November 2019, 11:27
- Metropolitan Hilarion says his meeting with Pompeo foiled by Russian Orthodox Church opponents 02 November 2019, 18:49
- Russian Orthodox Church to stop communion with head of Greek Church 02 November 2019, 18:46
- Patriarch Kirill signs document reuniting Western Europe archdiocese with Russian Orthodox Church 01 November 2019, 18:37
- Federation of Jewish Communities president calls sentence on Israeli traveler caught with hashish in Russia excessive 31 October 2019, 11:20
- Putin concerned about Christians' mass exodus from Middle East 31 October 2019, 10:00
- Armenian Church calls U.S. congressmen's recognition of Armenian genocide important for restoration of historical justice 30 October 2019, 15:35
- Russian Church hopes no one else will recognize OCU after Greek Church 30 October 2019, 15:27
- Putin plans to meet with heads of Mideast Christian Churches in Budapest 30 October 2019, 14:06
- Greek Orthodox Church de facto recognizes OCU, Ukrainian Orthodox Church calls it 'backstabbing' 30 October 2019, 12:52
- CSTO fears Islamists who fled from Kurdish custody might migrate to Central Asia 30 October 2019, 11:42
- Georgian Patriarchate denies preparations for Catholicos-Patriarch Ilia II's resignation 30 October 2019, 11:01
- Russian Orthodox Church warning of inevitable breakup with Greek bishops over OCU recognition 30 October 2019, 11:00
- Eight communities of Old Believers granted Russian citizenship, planning to move from Brazil, U.S. to Primorye 29 October 2019, 10:49
- Estonian conservatives urge authorities to deprive LGBT of state financing 29 October 2019, 10:22
- The Russian Church suggests making the Bases of Family principal school subject from 1st to 11th grade 29 October 2019, 10:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church suggests making T-shirts with Bible quotes 28 October 2019, 17:47