24 December 2018, 10:22
Ukrainian parliamentary opposition to go to Constitutional Court, Prosecutor General's Office over church renaming bill
Kiev, Decenber 24, Interfax - Members of the Opposition Bloc faction at the Ukrainian Verkhovnaya Rada intend to go to the Prosecutor General's Office and the Constitutional Court, citing irregularities in the passage of a bill on renaming the canonical Orthodox Church, Mykhail Papiyev of the Opposition Bloc, a member of the procedural committee, said on Friday.
"While passing Bill No. 5309 yesterday, the Verkhovnaya Rada chairman violated the procedural norms and the Ukrainian constitution," Papiyev said at a plenary session.
There have been precedents of the Constitutional Court's declaring some laws as unconstitutional if the procedure of their passage had been violated, he said.
The Opposition Bloc faction members are determined to initiate the special procedure to have the bill passed on the whole declared unconstitutional, he said.
"As the actions by the Verkhovnaya Rada chairman might have involved indications of the violation of Criminal Court Article 364 Part 1, which deals with abuse of office, we are asking the Prosecutor General's Office to file this information with the General Register of Pretrial Investigations and conduct a pretrial investigation," Papiyev said.
The Verkhovnaya Rada passed legislation obliging the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate to indicate its affiliation with the Russian Orthodox Church in its name on Thursday. The bill amending the Law on Freedom of Conscience and Religious Organizations was supported by 240 parliamentarians.
The legislation stipulates that a religious organization that is a structural part of a religious organization with its center in the state that "has committed military aggression against Ukraine and temporarily occupied its territory" must indicate affiliation with this religious organization outside the country in its name. Such a religious organization would have to fully indicate the name of the organization whose part it is and whose center is located outside Ukraine in its statutory name. It can add the words "in Ukraine" to this name.
- Trial of Aum Shinrikyo's Russian cell head begins in Rostov-on-Don 27 May 2020, 21:23
- Siberian hermit Agafya Lykova does not know much about coronavirus, but prays for the sick 27 May 2020, 18:17
- The Protection Monastery in Moscow with St. Matrona relics opened for parishioners in spite of the acting ban of Russian Church 27 May 2020, 17:04
- Yekaterinburg diocese bans services of priest who cursed those who close churches over pandemic 27 May 2020, 11:17
- Defense team for Yakutia's shaman Gabyshev asks ECHR for urgent effort toward his release 26 May 2020, 13:56
- Chief rabbi of Russia believes attention to our neighbors to be the main achievement of the pandemic 25 May 2020, 16:12
- Coronavirus may be part of biopsychological war - Russian Orthodox Church 25 May 2020, 15:09
- Kiev Lavra of the Caves reopens following quarantine 25 May 2020, 14:03
- Police talked to Metropolitan Longin of Saratov as he came to the market without a mask 22 May 2020, 18:08
- Chairman of coordination center of North Caucasus Muslims hospitalized in Moscow 22 May 2020, 18:07
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia to deliver 240 tons of Kosher food to those in need 22 May 2020, 17:43
- Russian Orthodox Church speaker calls its financial situation extremely difficult 22 May 2020, 16:52
- St. Petersburg's Evening Light charity to appeal designation of U.S. preacher Branham's materials as extremist 22 May 2020, 13:38
- Russian Orthodox Church organizes donation of blood from people who recovered from coronavirus 21 May 2020, 16:47
- Moldovan PM, in response to Synod's threats, calls for praying for Orthodox clergy's clarity of mind 21 May 2020, 12:55
- Muslims of Tatarstan to celebrate Eid al-Fitr in their homes 21 May 2020, 10:22
- Russian Orthodox Church yet to decide whether Patriarch Kirill will visit Serbia in Oct 20 May 2020, 19:50
- Moldovan Orthodox Church says Bill Gates, 5G dangerous for mankind 20 May 2020, 19:46
- Rabbi Lazar believes pandemic is a result of people's disassociation 20 May 2020, 13:35
- Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov recovered from coronavirus 19 May 2020, 21:04
- Jews all over the world celebrate the Victory Day according to the Jewish calendar 19 May 2020, 12:15
- Putin recommends Russian Muslims celebrate Eid al-Fitr at home (updated) 18 May 2020, 16:30
- World Russian People's Assembly, led by Patriarch Kirill, demands investigation into causes of pandemic 18 May 2020, 13:38
- LGBT activists in Georgia hold annual rally online due to pandemic 18 May 2020, 11:39
- Life has become a priority first time in Russian history during Covid-19 pandemic - Jewish leader 15 May 2020, 12:22
- Family climate worsens for 10% of Russians in self-isolation, 19% claim opposite - poll 14 May 2020, 18:53
- Eid al-Fitr will not cause crowds outside Moscow's main mosque this year due to coronavirus 14 May 2020, 18:49
- Yakut shaman Gabyshev forcibly taken to mental hospital 12 May 2020, 19:07
- Annual Jewish parade to commemorate the end of epidemic will be held online 12 May 2020, 13:13
- Metropolitan Hilarion opposes Stalin's mosaic portrait at Russia's Armed Forces main church 12 May 2020, 10:26