24 December 2018, 10:22
Poroshenko signs law renaming Ukrainian Orthodox Church
Kiev, December 24, Interfax - President Pyotr Poroshenko has signed into law a bill compelling the Ukrainian Orthodox Church to specify its affiliation with the Russian Orthodox Church in its name, a statement on the presidential website said.
The bill "On changes to the Ukrainian law on the freedom of conscience and religious organizations," approved by parliament on December 20, concerns the names of religious organizations which form part of a larger religious organization headquartered outside Ukraine, "in a state which was found by law to have carried out a military aggression against Ukraine and (or) temporarily occupied a part of Ukraine," the statement reads.
"People have the constitutional right of free choice of religion. Said legal changes are creating the best conditions for the exercise of this right by those who will decide which Orthodox jurisdiction to belong to: either to the newly-created autocephalous Orthodox Church of Ukraine or to the Church which insists on preserving its link to, and dependence on, the ROC," Poroshenko said when signing the bill.
"It is easier to make a choice when all things are called by their names. Implementation of the law will give citizens full information," he said.
The legal changes conform to the principle of the freedom of religion and equality of religions, citizens will not have their constitutional rights restricted, the president said.
The bill passed final reading and was backed by 240 deputies on December 20.
It reads: "a religious organization which forms part of the structure of a religious organization headquartered in a state which has carried out a military aggression against Ukraine and temporarily occupied its territory, should have its name reflect this affiliation to such foreign-based religious organization." Such a religious organization in Ukraine will be obligated to include in its full name the name of the foreign-based organization it is part of, and allowed to add the words "in Ukraine."
Rada speaker Andrey Parubiy signed the bill on the same day and sent it to the president for signature.
The UOC asked Poroshenko to veto the bill. "We believe this law is anti-constitutional and we intend to defend our rights by every legal means. We ask the president of Ukraine to apply his right of veto to this law," the UOC legal department said in a statement.
The law will come into effect once published. After that, the central executive authority in charge of the religious policy is to carry out an appraisal of the charters of religious organizations. Should it identify circumstances regulated by this law, the authority will notify the religious organization accordingly via the official newspaper Uriadovy Kurier.
- Notre Dame fire is menacing sign to all Europe, including Russia - Patriarch Kirill's press secretary 19 April 2019, 21:05
- Russia ready to help France with Notre Dame fire inquiry - emergency minister 19 April 2019, 18:06
- Over 100 tons of matzo produced in Russia on the eve of Passover 18 April 2019, 18:02
- Patriarch Kirill sends condolences over the fire at Notre Dame Cathedral 18 April 2019, 13:30
- Bortnikov warns about 1,500 trained Islamist terrorists returning to Europe 18 April 2019, 13:21
- FSB director says concerned about anti-Islamic terrorism, psycho killers 18 April 2019, 11:36
- Russian Church about Notre Dame fire: the world will never be the same 17 April 2019, 11:19
- Kremlin announces readiness to send Russian specialists to help restore Notre Dame in Paris 16 April 2019, 12:32
- Parishioners return to the restored Armenian church in Aleppo 16 April 2019, 12:06
- Russian Culture Ministry to propose organizing fundraiser to help restore Paris' Notre Dame 16 April 2019, 12:02
- Putin offers sympathy over Notre Dame Cathedral fire, offers sending best Russian specialists to Paris – Kremlin 16 April 2019, 12:00
- Russian Orthodox priest believes "real men" exist only in the Special Forces 15 April 2019, 17:40
- Lavrov, Patriarch Kirill discuss church crisis in Ukraine, Christian presence in Middle East 15 April 2019, 10:51
- Peter the Great's charter by which he appoints Metropolitan of Kiev delivered to Ukraine from Germany 15 April 2019, 10:50
- Crosses dismantled in Kuropaty have nothing to do with perpetuation of memory of Stalinist-era victims - Belarusian Ministry of Forestry 12 April 2019, 09:15
- Tajik court sentences former functionary of prohibited Islamic party to 15 years in prison 10 April 2019, 14:19
- Passover to prevent Jews from voting on April 21 "before star-rise" - Ukraine's chief rabbi 09 April 2019, 19:05
- Kiev court finds involuntary renaming of canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church to be unlawful 08 April 2019, 10:56
- Synod conducts rotation of Patriarch Kirill's vicars 05 April 2019, 15:44
- Beautification works, dismantling of illegally erected crosses underway at Kuropaty 05 April 2019, 10:47
- Rabbi Lazar thanks Putin for his help in returning home Israeli soldier's remnants 04 April 2019, 19:01
- Head of OCU congratulates NATO on anniversary, calls to protect freedom from evil together 04 April 2019, 15:33
- Religious communities in Russia begin joint efforts for restoring schools in Syria 04 April 2019, 10:59
- Ukraine's new church fears possibility of tomos revocation 04 April 2019, 10:26
- 750,000 abortions performed in Russia annually, only one-fifth for medical reasons 03 April 2019, 14:29
- Russian Church calls on OSCE to boost religious freedom monitoring in Ukraine 03 April 2019, 12:25
- Karabakh settlement process cannot be one-way road - Catholicos of All Armenians 03 April 2019, 12:19
- ECHR to consider case of discrimination against UOC community in Rovno Region 01 April 2019, 18:18
- Leader of Russia's Jewish community outraged with new Rammstein video 29 March 2019, 18:28
- Kiev court to consider Church's name change lawsuit against Culture Ministry 29 March 2019, 18:22