29 December 2018, 17:39
Moscow Synod calls unification assembly in Kiev non-canonical, expresses concerns about plans to rename Ukrainian Orthodox Church
Moscow, December 29, Interfax - The Holy Synod that met in Moscow on Friday gave its evaluation to the unification assembly held in Kiev and the Ukrainian authorities' actions aimed at renaming the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church.
"The 'Unification Assembly' held in Kiev on December 15 composed of members of schismatic groups led by Metropolitan Emmanuel of Galle, a representative of the Constantinople Patriarchate, and Ukrainian President Pyotr Poroshenko was declared non-canonical," the Synod said in its decisions.
The hierarchs of the Russian church also expressed "deep concerns" about the entry into force of the amendments to the Ukrainian law On Freedom of Conscience and Religious Organizations.
The Moscow Synod decision calls these amendments discriminatory. It also states that secular politicians intend to seek deprivation of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of its canonical and lawful name based on the adopted law. Members of the Synod see "this legislative act as a glaring violation of the principle of non-interference of the state in the internal affairs of religious communities outlined in the Constitution of Ukraine."
The law contradicts the fundamental international documents on the protection of human rights and freedoms, the decision said.
The Synod has made a decision to call on the heads and Synods of the brotherly Orthodox Churches to support Metropolitan Onufry of Kiev and All Ukraine, the bishops, the clergy, and monastics and loyal flock of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church "in connection with the current trials," and also not to recognize "the community founded at the so-called Unification Assembly on December 15, 2018 in Kiev as an autocephalous local Orthodox church."
- Religion section editor of Dagestani newspaper suspected of financing terrorism arrested for 2 months 19 June 2019, 17:14
- Memorial in place of the second biggest burial of the Holocaust victims opened in Caucasus 19 June 2019, 17:09
- The Georgian Church official accuses US acting ambassador of trying to aggravate the situation around LGBT-action in Georgia 18 June 2019, 11:09
- Religion department editor of the Dagestani newspaper detained on suspicion of terrorism financing 17 June 2019, 11:30
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25
- Last Sobibor uprising survivor dies 03 June 2019, 18:17
- Kiev Patriarchate does not exist, never existed - Patriarch Bartholomew 03 June 2019, 14:54
- Constantinople cannot solve complicated religious situation in Ukraine - Russian Orthodox Church 30 May 2019, 19:45
- Putin congratulates Jews on Salvation and Liberation Day 30 May 2019, 19:00
- Protests against construction of churches plotted by outside forces - Russian Orthodox Church 28 May 2019, 18:42
- Church on site of first Russian settlement Fort Ross in U.S. to be restored 28 May 2019, 17:27
- Russian Orthodox Church to open churches in Cyprus, Sweden 28 May 2019, 17:26
- Yekaterinburg residents offer some 50 sites for church construction 27 May 2019, 18:37
- Patriarch Kirill in meeting with Mijatovic asks Council of Europe to control observance of believers' rights in Ukraine 27 May 2019, 18:35
- Churches in Russia to keep being built as long as people need it - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 18:14
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for end to discrimination against Orthodox Christians in Ukraine under new president 27 May 2019, 18:13
- Europe, Russia should turn over page of misunderstanding - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells secretary general of Council of Europe is concerned about human rights issues 27 May 2019, 14:14
- Putin, Patriarch Kirill discuss matter of plans to build Yekaterinburg church – Peskov 27 May 2019, 13:42