05 January 2019, 21:57
New church of Ukraine may not appoint bishops or establish parishes outside of Ukraine
Kiev, January 5, Interfax - The tomos on the delivery of autocephaly to the recently founded church of Ukraine issued by the Ecumenical Patriarch and Synod stipulates that the cathedra of this church will be in Kiev and the church will not appoint bishops or establish parishes outside of the country.
"On signing this patriarchal and synodal tomos, we recognize and proclaim the autocephalous church established within the territory of Ukraine as our spiritual daughter and urge all Orthodox churches in the world to recognize it as their sister [...] and the one that has its cathedra in the historic city of Kiev and may not appoint any bishops or establish any parishes outside of the country," according to the tomos' Ukrainian translation which Ukrainian ambassador to Turkey Andrew Sibiga published on Twitter.
From now onwards, the existing parishes of the new church are subordinate to the Ecumenical Patriarchate that has canonical powers in the Diaspora, whereas "the jurisdiction of this Church is limited to the territory of the Ukrainian state," the text said.
The new church becomes entitled to privileges and all sovereign rights associated with autocephalous church power, it said. Anything concerning internal church governance will be assessed, judged and determined solely by the Metropolitan of Kiev and All Ukraine, and by the Holy Synod, according to the text.
"The Autocephalous Church of Ukraine recognizes the Holy Apostolic and Patriarchal Ecumenical Thrown [...] the Metropolitan of Kiev and All Russia and all bishops of the Holy Church of Ukraine are from now onwards elected in conformity with divine and holy canons and in accordance with the relevant provisions of its Statute, which must not be in any conflict with the provisions of this patriarchal and synodal Tomos," according to the document.
The Tomos also stipulates that when seeking to solve "any significant issues of a church, dogmatic or canonical nature," the Metropolitan of Kiev and All Ukraine will, on behalf of the OCU Holy Synod, appeal to the Ecumenical Patriarch.
"Our Holy Great Church of Christ blesses and declares the Orthodox Church of Ukraine autocephalous," it says.
As reported earlier, Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew signed the Tomos of Autocephaly for the Orthodox Church of Ukraine at St. George's Cathedral in Istanbul on Saturday, January 5.
- Religion section editor of Dagestani newspaper suspected of financing terrorism arrested for 2 months 19 June 2019, 17:14
- Memorial in place of the second biggest burial of the Holocaust victims opened in Caucasus 19 June 2019, 17:09
- The Georgian Church official accuses US acting ambassador of trying to aggravate the situation around LGBT-action in Georgia 18 June 2019, 11:09
- Religion department editor of the Dagestani newspaper detained on suspicion of terrorism financing 17 June 2019, 11:30
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25
- Last Sobibor uprising survivor dies 03 June 2019, 18:17
- Kiev Patriarchate does not exist, never existed - Patriarch Bartholomew 03 June 2019, 14:54
- Constantinople cannot solve complicated religious situation in Ukraine - Russian Orthodox Church 30 May 2019, 19:45
- Putin congratulates Jews on Salvation and Liberation Day 30 May 2019, 19:00
- Protests against construction of churches plotted by outside forces - Russian Orthodox Church 28 May 2019, 18:42
- Church on site of first Russian settlement Fort Ross in U.S. to be restored 28 May 2019, 17:27
- Russian Orthodox Church to open churches in Cyprus, Sweden 28 May 2019, 17:26
- Yekaterinburg residents offer some 50 sites for church construction 27 May 2019, 18:37
- Patriarch Kirill in meeting with Mijatovic asks Council of Europe to control observance of believers' rights in Ukraine 27 May 2019, 18:35
- Churches in Russia to keep being built as long as people need it - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 18:14
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for end to discrimination against Orthodox Christians in Ukraine under new president 27 May 2019, 18:13
- Europe, Russia should turn over page of misunderstanding - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells secretary general of Council of Europe is concerned about human rights issues 27 May 2019, 14:14
- Putin, Patriarch Kirill discuss matter of plans to build Yekaterinburg church – Peskov 27 May 2019, 13:42