05 January 2019, 21:57
New church of Ukraine may not appoint bishops or establish parishes outside of Ukraine
Kiev, January 5, Interfax - The tomos on the delivery of autocephaly to the recently founded church of Ukraine issued by the Ecumenical Patriarch and Synod stipulates that the cathedra of this church will be in Kiev and the church will not appoint bishops or establish parishes outside of the country.
"On signing this patriarchal and synodal tomos, we recognize and proclaim the autocephalous church established within the territory of Ukraine as our spiritual daughter and urge all Orthodox churches in the world to recognize it as their sister [...] and the one that has its cathedra in the historic city of Kiev and may not appoint any bishops or establish any parishes outside of the country," according to the tomos' Ukrainian translation which Ukrainian ambassador to Turkey Andrew Sibiga published on Twitter.
From now onwards, the existing parishes of the new church are subordinate to the Ecumenical Patriarchate that has canonical powers in the Diaspora, whereas "the jurisdiction of this Church is limited to the territory of the Ukrainian state," the text said.
The new church becomes entitled to privileges and all sovereign rights associated with autocephalous church power, it said. Anything concerning internal church governance will be assessed, judged and determined solely by the Metropolitan of Kiev and All Ukraine, and by the Holy Synod, according to the text.
"The Autocephalous Church of Ukraine recognizes the Holy Apostolic and Patriarchal Ecumenical Thrown [...] the Metropolitan of Kiev and All Russia and all bishops of the Holy Church of Ukraine are from now onwards elected in conformity with divine and holy canons and in accordance with the relevant provisions of its Statute, which must not be in any conflict with the provisions of this patriarchal and synodal Tomos," according to the document.
The Tomos also stipulates that when seeking to solve "any significant issues of a church, dogmatic or canonical nature," the Metropolitan of Kiev and All Ukraine will, on behalf of the OCU Holy Synod, appeal to the Ecumenical Patriarch.
"Our Holy Great Church of Christ blesses and declares the Orthodox Church of Ukraine autocephalous," it says.
As reported earlier, Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew signed the Tomos of Autocephaly for the Orthodox Church of Ukraine at St. George's Cathedral in Istanbul on Saturday, January 5.
- The Russian Church about return of “Russian exarchate” parishes under its jurisdiction: a long way is almost accomplished 14 September 2019, 21:29
- Head of "Russian exarchate" of Constantinople joins Russian Orthodox Church 14 September 2019, 18:44
- Imam Velitov, convicted for justification of terrorism, leaves colony in Astrakhan 13 September 2019, 16:52
- Ukrainian court freezes "Kiev Patriarchate" liquidation 12 September 2019, 20:25
- Priest Alexander Volkov dismissed from the post of patriarchal press secretary 12 September 2019, 20:22
- Orthodox Businessman Malofeyev to leave A Just Russia 6 months after joining it 12 September 2019, 17:23
- Common moral, ethical values of all religions in Russia ensure state stability of country - Putin 12 September 2019, 17:21
- Guilt of men charged with attempted murder of Imam Chumakov unproven - Ingushetia jury 11 September 2019, 10:53
- State Dept. announces sanctions against 2 high-ranking Surgut investigators over Jehovah's Witnesses case (updated) 10 September 2019, 18:48
- The Russian Church official call modern Russian men a "national tragedy" 09 September 2019, 11:56
- The Russian Church will accept communities of the "Russian exarchate" ready to join it 09 September 2019, 11:20
- Russian Orthodox Church to continue reunification consultations with "Russian exarchate" 09 September 2019, 11:00
- Russian Jews to unveil monument to Roma victims of Nazism 05 September 2019, 16:00
- Jerusalem Patriarch takes the side of Russian Church in the "Ukrainian question" 05 September 2019, 15:57
- Constantinople appoints head of "Russian exarchate" a metropolitan responsible for establishing new church in Ukraine 05 September 2019, 13:06
- "Russian exarchate" in Europe refused to subordinate to Constantinople 04 September 2019, 10:54
- Some 40,000 Hasidic pilgrims expected to attend Rosh Hashanah celebration in Ukraine 03 September 2019, 11:07
- ROC metropolitan denies Constantinople accusations of non-canonical actions of the Moscow Patriarchate in Southeast Asia 29 August 2019, 15:43
- World Union of Old Believers set up in Moscow 29 August 2019, 13:05
- Holocaust victims monument vandalized in southern Ukraine 28 August 2019, 16:58
- Monument to Ukrainian nationalists unveiled at Jewish cemetery in Lvov Region 26 August 2019, 19:45
- Poroshenko warns of ongoing attacks on Ukrainian army, language, faith 26 August 2019, 17:13
- Founder of Russian icon museum - among victims of helicopter crash in Greece 22 August 2019, 12:50
- Al-Assad asks for Russian language teachers in Syria to counter Western culture and Wahhabism - Russian MP 20 August 2019, 15:28
- Ukraine has made a great contribution to combating antisemitism - Netanyahu 19 August 2019, 18:19
- Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church ceases to exist 14 August 2019, 20:12
- Over 60% of Russians identify as Orthodox, 1 out of every 6 is atheist - poll 14 August 2019, 13:51
- Russian Orthodox Church offers "Russian exarchate" to join it preserving its statute and traditions 12 August 2019, 15:33
- Gay couple with adopted children can't return to Russia yet - rights activists 12 August 2019, 14:53
- Zelensky discusses Crimea, Donbass with Patriarch Bartholomew 09 August 2019, 11:58