18 January 2019, 14:15
Putin invited to Belgrade to attend consecration of Cathedral of Saint Sava
Belgrade, January 18, Interfax - Russian President Vladimir Putin has been invited to attend the consecration of Belgrade's Cathedral of Saint Sava, which is being rebuilt with Russia's financial assistance.
During his visit to Belgrade on Thursday, Putin and Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic visited the cathedral, in front of which nearly 150,000 people had gathered.
Russian Academy of Arts member Nikolay Mukhin, the project's designer and the coordinator of a group of Russian specialists helping restore the cathedral, told the president about the project and showed him samples of the mosaic decorating the cathedral's interior.
Mukhin thanked Putin for his support of the project and said that everything would be accomplished if there is good "movement."
Putin said it had been decided to allocate additional funding for the cathedral's restoration.
"This decision has been made. The documents will be finalized in several days. A little over $5 million," Putin said.
Mukhin said he hopes Putin and Vucic will visit the cathedral.
"The president has invited me," Putin replied.
Putin has received the invitation, Vucic said, adding that the consecration ceremony may be held in September or October.
- Putin takes part in Epiphany bathing 19 January 2021, 17:40
- Patriarch Kirill conveys a ton of oranges to hospitals and social facilities of Moscow 18 January 2021, 19:03
- Stepashin asks Israeli govt to protect Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem 18 January 2021, 18:59
- Parish in eastern U.S. returns to Russian Orthodox Church Outside Russia, which it left after its reunion with Moscow Patriarchate 18 January 2021, 16:56
- Kiev expects icon gifted to Lavrov in Sarajevo to be returned to Ukraine 15 January 2021, 17:46
- Arrested former schema-monk Sergy ends his hunger strike 15 January 2021, 16:49
- ECHR finds unproven accusations of Kiev in Russia's refusal to register religious organizations in Crimea 14 January 2021, 14:38
- Federal Penitentiary Service denies reports on deteriorating health of former schema-hegumen Sergy 14 January 2021, 14:10
- IOPS chairman says is 99% certain Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem will be returned to Russia this year 13 January 2021, 14:36
- Circus in Russia's Udmurtia says photos of animals with Nazi symbols Christmas celebration that caused scandal were taken out of context 13 January 2021, 13:24
- Supporter of Urals ex-schema-monk Sergy arrested in new case 12 January 2021, 17:29
- Emeritus Patriarchal Exarch of All Belarus Philaret dies 12 January 2021, 16:51
- Yakutian 'shaman' Gabyshev plans new 'march on Moscow' 12 January 2021, 15:28
- Arrested ex-schema-monk Sergy goes on dry hunger strike - Public Monitoring Commission 12 January 2021, 10:00
- Extremists may take advantage of new anti-money laundering regulations for religious organizations - State Duma committee 11 January 2021, 17:00
- Hockey player Datsyuk, actress Shukshina ask Putin to look into circumstances of former schema-hegumen Sergy's detention in Urals 11 January 2021, 16:23
- Christmas interview of Patriarch Kirill to Rossia TV (a shortened version) 11 January 2021, 10:10
- Decision on where icon gifted to Lavrov truly belongs can be made only after examination - Russian Orthodox Church 08 January 2021, 15:34
- Patriarch Kirill calls those who do not believe in danger of Covid-19 'stupid' 08 January 2021, 15:31
- Hagia Sophia's conversion into mosque Patriarch Bartholomew's divine retribution - Russian Church head 07 January 2021, 17:41
- Putin grateful to Syrian people for preserving Christian holy relics 07 January 2021, 17:39
- Hope, expectation of miracle human's guiding light - Putin 07 January 2021, 17:36
- Pope Francis accepts Belarusian Catholic leader Kondrusiewicz's resignation 03 January 2021, 17:18
- Russian Orthodox Church postpones Christmas Readings to Easter due to Covid-19 pandemic 30 December 2020, 19:01
- Moscow court arrests ex-schema-monk Sergy for 2 months 29 December 2020, 21:14
- Former schema-hegumen Sergy suspected of persuading 10 nuns to commit suicide 29 December 2020, 20:58
- Russian Bishops' Council to be held on November 15-18, 2021 29 December 2020, 19:57
- Russian Orthodox Church wished Russians to keep faith, hope and love 28 December 2020, 13:16
- Leader of Catholic Church in Belarus Kondrusiewicz returns to country 24 December 2020, 15:11
- Lukashenko reminds Belarusians of forgiveness, help to needy in Christmas Eve message 24 December 2020, 10:41