24 January 2019, 18:57
Ukrainian authorities' interference with religious life unacceptable - Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia
Moscow, January 24, Interfax - Rabbi Aaron Gurevich of the Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia (FJCR) has criticized Ukrainian authorities' role in deepening the church schism.
"We would like to show solidarity with all those who have expressed concern with the situation around the church schism in Ukraine," Gurevich said at a roundtable in Moscow on Thursday.
In this particular instance the Jewish community is worried primarily by "the direct, overt, demonstrative interference by the state in the church architecture which took centuries to create," Gurevich said.
"We are going back to the Middle Ages when this was one of the levers of secular power on any particular process within the state. But today this is absolutely unacceptable and really does not conform to any European norms," the rabbi said.
He also expressed concern with violent takeovers of temples belonging to the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church.
The Moscow mufti and Head of the Spiritual Assembly of Muslims of Russia, Albir Krganov, offered words of support to Orthodox Ukrainians.
"Our brothers are in solidarity with the Russian Orthodox Church," Krganov said at the meeting, adding that Muslims found it "very painful to watch at the artificial schism which today is being inflicted on the Christians in Ukraine."
Religion should unite and strengthen social stability, and "playing on religious feelings, exploiting religion for political ends is utterly wrong," Krganov said.
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14
- Activities of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped in Komi 31 January 2020, 15:11
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia doing important work preserving truth about war - Putin 29 January 2020, 14:08
- Conditions for Jewish community comfortable in Russia - Rabbi Lazar 29 January 2020, 14:07
- Archpriest Chaplin died of heart attack 27 January 2020, 18:51
- Russian Church accuses Constantinople for ingratitude and Russophobia 27 January 2020, 18:45
- Court bans leader of Murmansk Jehovah's Witnesses from talking to fellow members, using Internet 27 January 2020, 12:03
- Well-known priest Vsevolod Chaplin dies in Moscow 26 January 2020, 22:36
- FJCR hopes Marshal Konev monument in Prague won't be demolished 24 January 2020, 19:54