31 January 2019, 12:22
Patriarch Kirill says service is 'heavy cross'
Moscow, January 31, Interfax - Ahead of the 10th anniversary of his election, Patriarch Kirill spoke about the way he felt and how he prayed before the election of the head of the Russian Church in 2009.
"When I became locum tenens, I clearly realized that there was a big chance of me being elected, but there could not be 100% certainty. Naturally, I prayed at that time, but I never, not once, asked the Lord to make me patriarch. I asked for God's will to be manifested and for the person who should become patriarch according to God's will to be elected," the patriarch told reporters in Moscow.
Patriarch Kirill said he realized at that time that being elected patriarch was "a great cross" because he had seen how several predecessors, Alexy I, Pimen, and Alexy II, lived.
"Of course, I could not fully see all aspects of the patriarch's life then, but it was perfectly clear that a patriarch bears a heavy cross, and I became convinced of that when I became patriarch. And because God's will was manifested on me and I was called for that ministry, I consider it my duty to bear this cross or as long as my spiritual and physical forces allow me," he said.
The past ten years were full of significant changes in the life of the Russian Orthodox Church, and the understanding of its role in people's lives changed dramatically, Patriarch Kirill said.
He could not say how he sees the future of the Russian Orthodox Church, saying that, according to church doctrine, the end of history is the Apocalypse.
"I don't think the Church will have some glorious history after us. The Church has its problems in every era, and I don't see any signs that these problems have decreased," the patriarch said.
Kirill became Patriarch of Moscow and All Russia on January 27, 2009 with the support of an overwhelming majority of the participants in the Local Assembly, which was held soon after the death of Alexy II. The other candidates were Metropolitan Kliment of Kaluga and Borovsk and Metropolitan Filaret of Minsk and Slutsk. The latter withdrew his candidacy before the election.
- Russian prosecutors seeking to shut down Church of Last Testament 25 September 2020, 17:34
- Patriarch awards Lavrov the church order of Glory and Honor 23 September 2020, 18:35
- Followers of Church of the Last Testament gave part of their income to sect every month - source 23 September 2020, 18:29
- Two followers in Vissarion's community developed mental disorders - source 23 September 2020, 18:18
- Court arrests 3 leaders of Krasnoyarsk Church of the Last Testament 23 September 2020, 13:07
- Putin bestows Order for Merit to Fatherland, 1st degree on oldest ruling bishop of Russian Orthodox Church 22 September 2020, 17:38
- Berel Lazar invited to Bahrain 22 September 2020, 13:18
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23