06 February 2019, 16:49
Danish citizen gets 6 years in penal colony for organizing Jehovah's Witnesses community in Oryol
Oryol, February 6, Interfax - Oryol's Zheleznodorozhny Court on Wednesday has sentenced Danish citizen Dennis Ole Christensen in the case involving the creation of a regional division of the Jehovah's Witnesses (banned in Russia).
"The court found Dennis Ole Christensen guilty of committing a crime described by Part 1, Article 282.2 of the Russian Criminal Code (organization of the work of an extremist organization) and sentenced him to six years in a general security penal colony," the court said in a statement on its website.
Because there is an extenuating circumstance in the case and Christensen has no previous criminal record, he was given the minimum punishment, the court said.
Danish Foreign Minister Anders Samuelsen expressed concern about the sentencing. "Deeply concerned by sentencing of Dennis Christensen. Again call on Russia to respect freedom of religion," he wrote on Twitter, adding that the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs will continue to follow the situation.
The court said it has been determined that "Dennis Christensen, knowing about the type of activity of the local religious organization Jehovah's Witnesses Oryol and knowing that there was a court ruling in legal force to close that organization due to extremist activities, deliberately took organizational actions aimed at continuing its illegal activities when he was in Oryol in the period between January 18, 2017 and May 25, 2017."
Christensen was arrested on May 25, 2017 in a building on Zheleznodorozhnaya Street, where local Jehovah's Witnesses were holding a Bible study.
In July 2016, an Oryol court found the activities of the Jehovah's Witnesses in Oryol extremist and ruled to close the organization. The Russian Supreme Court upheld that ruling in October 2016.
- Half of Russians in favor of helping France restore Notre Dame de Paris - poll 23 April 2019, 14:51
- Patriarch Kirill: Zelensky given historic chance to unite people of Ukraine (updated) 23 April 2019, 13:38
- Law on renaming Ukrainian Orthodox Church still in effect despite court ruling - Rada speaker 23 April 2019, 12:55
- Rehabilitating Bandera's supporters may end in Ukraine under Zelensky - Russian Jewish community leader 22 April 2019, 21:16
- Russian Jewish Congress to rebuild yeshiva in wake of arson during Passover 22 April 2019, 19:32
- Court in Kiev puts renaming of UOC on holdCourt in Kiev puts renaming of UOC on hold 22 April 2019, 18:12
- Zelensky victory will reduce nationalism in Ukraine - Russian Jews 22 April 2019, 16:47
- UOC on Poroshenko election failure: God treats authorities the way authorities treat the Church 22 April 2019, 16:45
- Head of UOC blesses Zelensky to serve Ukraine 22 April 2019, 12:45
- Georgian presidential administration chief Zhvania quits 22 April 2019, 10:45
- Notre Dame fire is menacing sign to all Europe, including Russia - Patriarch Kirill's press secretary 19 April 2019, 21:05
- Russia ready to help France with Notre Dame fire inquiry - emergency minister 19 April 2019, 18:06
- Over 100 tons of matzo produced in Russia on the eve of Passover 18 April 2019, 18:02
- Patriarch Kirill sends condolences over the fire at Notre Dame Cathedral 18 April 2019, 13:30
- Bortnikov warns about 1,500 trained Islamist terrorists returning to Europe 18 April 2019, 13:21
- FSB director says concerned about anti-Islamic terrorism, psycho killers 18 April 2019, 11:36
- Russian Church about Notre Dame fire: the world will never be the same 17 April 2019, 11:19
- Kremlin announces readiness to send Russian specialists to help restore Notre Dame in Paris 16 April 2019, 12:32
- Parishioners return to the restored Armenian church in Aleppo 16 April 2019, 12:06
- Russian Culture Ministry to propose organizing fundraiser to help restore Paris' Notre Dame 16 April 2019, 12:02
- Putin offers sympathy over Notre Dame Cathedral fire, offers sending best Russian specialists to Paris – Kremlin 16 April 2019, 12:00
- Russian Orthodox priest believes "real men" exist only in the Special Forces 15 April 2019, 17:40
- Lavrov, Patriarch Kirill discuss church crisis in Ukraine, Christian presence in Middle East 15 April 2019, 10:51
- Peter the Great's charter by which he appoints Metropolitan of Kiev delivered to Ukraine from Germany 15 April 2019, 10:50
- Crosses dismantled in Kuropaty have nothing to do with perpetuation of memory of Stalinist-era victims - Belarusian Ministry of Forestry 12 April 2019, 09:15
- Tajik court sentences former functionary of prohibited Islamic party to 15 years in prison 10 April 2019, 14:19
- Passover to prevent Jews from voting on April 21 "before star-rise" - Ukraine's chief rabbi 09 April 2019, 19:05
- Kiev court finds involuntary renaming of canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church to be unlawful 08 April 2019, 10:56
- Synod conducts rotation of Patriarch Kirill's vicars 05 April 2019, 15:44
- Beautification works, dismantling of illegally erected crosses underway at Kuropaty 05 April 2019, 10:47