06 February 2019, 16:49
Danish citizen gets 6 years in penal colony for organizing Jehovah's Witnesses community in Oryol
Oryol, February 6, Interfax - Oryol's Zheleznodorozhny Court on Wednesday has sentenced Danish citizen Dennis Ole Christensen in the case involving the creation of a regional division of the Jehovah's Witnesses (banned in Russia).
"The court found Dennis Ole Christensen guilty of committing a crime described by Part 1, Article 282.2 of the Russian Criminal Code (organization of the work of an extremist organization) and sentenced him to six years in a general security penal colony," the court said in a statement on its website.
Because there is an extenuating circumstance in the case and Christensen has no previous criminal record, he was given the minimum punishment, the court said.
Danish Foreign Minister Anders Samuelsen expressed concern about the sentencing. "Deeply concerned by sentencing of Dennis Christensen. Again call on Russia to respect freedom of religion," he wrote on Twitter, adding that the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs will continue to follow the situation.
The court said it has been determined that "Dennis Christensen, knowing about the type of activity of the local religious organization Jehovah's Witnesses Oryol and knowing that there was a court ruling in legal force to close that organization due to extremist activities, deliberately took organizational actions aimed at continuing its illegal activities when he was in Oryol in the period between January 18, 2017 and May 25, 2017."
Christensen was arrested on May 25, 2017 in a building on Zheleznodorozhnaya Street, where local Jehovah's Witnesses were holding a Bible study.
In July 2016, an Oryol court found the activities of the Jehovah's Witnesses in Oryol extremist and ruled to close the organization. The Russian Supreme Court upheld that ruling in October 2016.
- Head of the Jewish community of Russia approves of rejuvenation procedures 19 September 2019, 21:35
- The court in Ukraine returns citizenship to the deported rector of the Desyatinny Monastery 19 September 2019, 20:38
- Urals Economics University not to expel student over contacts with LGBT 19 September 2019, 18:18
- Kadyrov ready for dialogue with PACE rep on rights of LGBT persons in Chechnya, although finds problem far-fetched 19 September 2019, 18:13
- High-ranking Culture Ministry official charged with misappropriating money provided for restoration of Solovki objects 19 September 2019, 18:12
- Russian Orthodox Church initiates probe into possible infringement of rights of people prosecuted after Moscow summer riots 18 September 2019, 20:36
- Priests' letter in support of protesters is political declaration - Russian Orthodox Church 18 September 2019, 20:05
- Seventeen clandestine ISIL cells uncovered in Russia in 2019 17 September 2019, 18:06
- Putin says he sees Israel as Russian-speaking country 17 September 2019, 18:04
- Parishioners of the "Russian exarchate" in Paris enthusiastic about joining the Russian Orthodox Church 16 September 2019, 17:45
- Return of 'Russian exarchate' became possible due to radical changes in Russian Church, Russia in general - Patriarch Kirill 16 September 2019, 16:26
- Russian Orthodox Church denies rumors that head of Russian Church Abroad is missing 16 September 2019, 16:25
- Israel condemns defacing of monument to Holocaust victims in Ukraine's Nikolaev Region, demands perpetrators be punished 16 September 2019, 13:20
- The Russian Church about return of “Russian exarchate” parishes under its jurisdiction: a long way is almost accomplished 14 September 2019, 21:29
- Head of "Russian exarchate" of Constantinople joins Russian Orthodox Church 14 September 2019, 18:44
- Imam Velitov, convicted for justification of terrorism, leaves colony in Astrakhan 13 September 2019, 16:52
- Ukrainian court freezes "Kiev Patriarchate" liquidation 12 September 2019, 20:25
- Priest Alexander Volkov dismissed from the post of patriarchal press secretary 12 September 2019, 20:22
- Orthodox Businessman Malofeyev to leave A Just Russia 6 months after joining it 12 September 2019, 17:23
- Common moral, ethical values of all religions in Russia ensure state stability of country - Putin 12 September 2019, 17:21
- Guilt of men charged with attempted murder of Imam Chumakov unproven - Ingushetia jury 11 September 2019, 10:53
- State Dept. announces sanctions against 2 high-ranking Surgut investigators over Jehovah's Witnesses case (updated) 10 September 2019, 18:48
- The Russian Church official call modern Russian men a "national tragedy" 09 September 2019, 11:56
- The Russian Church will accept communities of the "Russian exarchate" ready to join it 09 September 2019, 11:20
- Russian Orthodox Church to continue reunification consultations with "Russian exarchate" 09 September 2019, 11:00
- Russian Jews to unveil monument to Roma victims of Nazism 05 September 2019, 16:00
- Jerusalem Patriarch takes the side of Russian Church in the "Ukrainian question" 05 September 2019, 15:57
- Constantinople appoints head of "Russian exarchate" a metropolitan responsible for establishing new church in Ukraine 05 September 2019, 13:06
- "Russian exarchate" in Europe refused to subordinate to Constantinople 04 September 2019, 10:54
- Some 40,000 Hasidic pilgrims expected to attend Rosh Hashanah celebration in Ukraine 03 September 2019, 11:07