08 February 2019, 17:48
Hierarch of a new Ukraine’s church celebrates his first liturgy on Athos
Moscow, February 8, Interfax - Head of the Odessa Diocese of Ukrane’s new church Pavel Yuristy chaired a liturgy in the Monastery of Pantocrator on Mount Athos.
On the eve monks and the delegation of the newly-established Ukrainian church conducted vespers there, Yuristy wrote in his Facebook.
These divine services have become the first ones conducted by Athonite monks together with officials of the church recently established in Ukraine mostly from representatives of non-canonical religious organizations. However, the Moscow Patriarchate’s high officials referring to the Orthodox teaching more than once noted that those who celebrate services with schismatics become schismatics themselves.
Pantocrator is one of the five monasteries, which during the session of Holy Kinot backed up Patriarch Bartholomew’s call to visit enthronement of the new Ukrainian church head Yepifaniy Dumenko. However, representatives of other Athos monasteries spoke against it. Philotheou and Karakalou Monasteries stated they would close their doors if Yepifaniy came to visit them.
The creation of the local Orthodox church of Ukraine backed by the Constantinople Patriarchate and independent of the Moscow Patriarchate was announced at the unification assembly in Kiev on December 15. The new church is made up of representatives of the country's uncanonical church structures. The head of the new church received a tomos on autocephaly from Patriarch Bartholomew on January 6. No other Orthodox Churches have recognized the new church or agreed to send a delegation to the enthronement.
- Klitchko speaks in defense of UOC 22 February 2019, 21:59
- UOC bishop calls on Ukrainian PM to put end to church takeovers 22 February 2019, 21:48
- Investigative Committee, human rights commissioner in Khanty-Mansiysk Autonomous District to verify info on torture of detained Jehovah's Witnesses 22 February 2019, 18:51
- Karakol Initiative Group in Altay added to list of prohibited organizations 21 February 2019, 19:24
- Moscow Patriarchate's UOC says only 12 out of 36,000 communities joined OCU 21 February 2019, 19:22
- Putin awaiting Supreme Court conclusions on freedom of conscience, religious organizations law violations 21 February 2019, 17:53
- Imperial Orthodox Palestine Society opens UK office 21 February 2019, 17:49
- The Cyprus Synod doesn't recognize the new church of Ukraine 21 February 2019, 10:41
- Patriarch of Georgia concerned about situation in Ukrainian Orthodox Christianity 21 February 2019, 10:03
- Russian Investigative Committee denies reports of Jehovah's Witnesses members' torture in Surgut 20 February 2019, 16:08
- Crimean leader denies forced eviction of OCU church in Simferopol 20 February 2019, 10:09
- Russian Orthodox Church demands freedom of movement for Ukrainian Orthodox Church priest held in Donbass 20 February 2019, 10:04
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church sees no legal grounds for its shutdown 19 February 2019, 18:50
- Ukraine's accusations about Moscow vandalizing churches stupid - Russian Orthodox Church 19 February 2019, 17:24
- UOC Metropolitan held in Donbass on suspicion of separatism (updated) 18 February 2019, 17:45
- UOC bishop draws int'l organizations' attention to violation of believers' rights in Ukraine 18 February 2019, 15:49
- SBU head Gritsak accuses Russia of playing 'religious card' in Ukraine for interference in electoral process 18 February 2019, 15:47
- Court can stop religious organization's activity if it refuses renaming - Ukraine's Culture Ministry 18 February 2019, 11:47
- UOC calls on Ukrainian authorities not to create artificial obstacles in church life 18 February 2019, 11:20
- Jehovah's Witnesses group shut down in Khanty-Mansiysk District 15 February 2019, 22:17
- Ukraine annuls Bishop Gedeon's passport 15 February 2019, 22:14
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church's Bishop Gedeon deported from Ukraine over his appeal to U.S. Congress - Russian Orthodox Church 14 February 2019, 16:40
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church bishop stopped at Kiev airport deported to U.S. 14 February 2019, 16:30
- No grounds so far to reconsider stance on Jehovah's Witnesses - Russian Justice Ministry 14 February 2019, 12:17
- Russian courts' ban on Jehovah's Witnesses founded - Justice Ministry 13 February 2019, 11:53
- Russian Orthodox Church's Asian exarch assumes office created in response to Constantinople's actions 13 February 2019, 11:46
- OCU bishop's visit exposes weakness of Patriarch Bartholomew's positions - Russian Orthodox Church 13 February 2019, 11:41
- Senior Athos clergy decline photo-op with new Ukrainian church bishop 13 February 2019, 11:35
- Jehovah's Witnesses not persecuted for belief, penalized for illegal activity - Lebedev 12 February 2019, 15:44
- Revision of Jehovah's Witnesses case possible in event of ECHR's decision - Lebedev 12 February 2019, 15:41