13 February 2019, 11:53
Russian courts' ban on Jehovah's Witnesses founded - Justice Ministry
Moscow, February 13, Interfax - The Russian Justice Ministry has described the rulings of Russian courts which branded Jehovah's Witnesses as an extremist organization and prohibited its activity in Russia as founded and lawful, the ministry press service said in a statement seen by Interfax.
"The Russian authorities based their legal position on the founded and lawful nature of national courts' rulings on the Jehovah's Witnesses religious organization, which means there is no breach of the Convention for the Protection of Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms," the statement said.
The ministry noted that the stance was presented in the response given to the European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) in December 2018 in connection with preparations for hearing the cases of the Jehovah's Witnesses of Russia and Kalinin vs. Russia and Glazov LRO and Others vs. Russia.
"No judgments have been passed in these cases," the ministry said, adding that the date of hearings at the ECHR was so far unknown.
On April 20, 2017, the Russian Supreme Court upheld the Justice Ministry's lawsuit, branded Jehovah's Witnesses of Russia and its local affiliates as extremist organizations, and banned their activity in Russia.
The court ordered to liquidate Jehovah's Witnesses of Russia and its 395 regional branches. The Justice Ministry put all of them on the list of organizations prohibited from operating in Russia. The court also ordered to impound assets of the organization.
Jehovah's Witnesses filed a lawsuit against Russia with the ECHR in fall 2017. According to the media, the claim for compensations neared 79 million euros (about 6 billion rubles), and the main demand is the return of the impounded assets.
Meanwhile, the Zheleznodorozhny District Court in Oryol found Danish citizen Dennis Christensen, a follower of Jehovah's Witnesses, guilty of organizing the activity of an extremist group and sentenced him to six years in jail on February 6, 2019.
The court order triggered a public outcry, both inside and outside Russia.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14