18 February 2019, 11:20
UOC calls on Ukrainian authorities not to create artificial obstacles in church life
Moscow, February 18, Interfax - The authorities' demands to urgent change the name of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church under the recently adopted law contradict the text of this document, the legal department of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church said.
According to earlier reports, the Verkhovnaya Rada on December 20 adopted amendments according to which a religious organization with a center in the "aggressor state" is obligated to reflect its belonging to a religious organization outside Ukraine in its name.
In the meantime, the legal department of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church said on Friday that the adopted law gives at least four months from the day of entry into force of the law, i.e., at least until April 26, 2019 to make changes to the name, and that is on condition that every religious organization receives written notification stating that it needs to make changes to its charter within three months.
In order for that to happen, the process of receiving relevant official notifications was to start on January 26, but it has not massively begun yet, the legal department of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church said in comments posted on its website.
"Therefore, any demands made by bodies of state authority or local self-governance bodies to urgently change official names and restrictions of the rights of religious organizations of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church associated with that are illegal and they are not based on the requirements of the law," the document said.
All organizational issues associated with the implementation of the law are being studied in a centralized way, specifically, consultations, meetings and other events attended by the authorities, lawyers, clergymen and representatives of other confessions are being conducted, the Ukrainian Orthodox Church said.
"After specific mechanisms on all issues relating to the observance of the law are determined, it will be reported," the comments said.
The legal department of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church calls on all bodies of state authority "not to create artificial obstacles in the work of religious organizations of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church, but act in strict accordance with the requirements of the law and other acts of the current Ukrainian legislation, without forgetting about the requirement of reasonableness, justice and tolerance."
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14