20 February 2019, 10:09
Crimean leader denies forced eviction of OCU church in Simferopol
Simferopol, February 20, Interfax - Forced eviction from the premises in Simferopol leased to the Crimean Diocese of the new Ukrainian church (OCU) is ruled out, the Crimean leader Sergey Aksyonov said.
"No one of oppressing anyone, all documentation is being brought in accordance (...) No forceful action is definitely being taken," Aksyonov told reporters.
The Saints Vladimir and Olga Catherdal is located at a building previously occupied by a former Simferopol higher military-political building school. It is a three-storey building with classical-style columns. The only sign of the religious tenant is a small cross above the entrance.
On February 12, the OCU Archbishop Kliment of Simferopol and Crimea said in Kiev that the Crimean authorities demanded that the premises of the Sts. Vladimir and Olga Cathedral be vacated. He said that since 2014 the local authorities had been telling the diocese to re-register in accordance with the Russian laws but the diocese's administration has not done so.
"Because we are not re-registered, the fund for property and land relations is requiring us to sign all additional agreements and hand over the premises we occupy in the city of Simferopol to the ministry currently operating in Crimea (...) By early March, I should be left out in the street. I don't know where to take out our belongings, don't know where to remove them," Kliment said.
The Ukrainian Culture Ministry did not take stock of the valuables on the grounds of the cathedral, so they cannot be sent to Ukraine, "because the law bans me from moving cultural and national valuables across border," he said.
Earlier, Crimean Minister of Property and Land Relations Anna Anyukhina told Interfax that OCU representatives were refusing to provide documentation necessary for the lease in Simferopol. According to her data, Archbishop Kliment had not been seen in Crimea for a long time.
- Metropolitan Hilarion doesn't consider Moscow "the third Rome" 15 July 2019, 12:10
- Church split isn't matter for Russian, Ukrainian presidents - Russian Orthodox Church 15 July 2019, 11:16
- Rights of sexual minorities should not be violated in Russia – Moskalkova 10 July 2019, 14:10
- Priest's statement that women are less smart than men is nonsense - Russian human rights council head 10 July 2019, 11:50
- Holy Synod of Russian Church speaks out against split of Serbian Church in Montenegro 10 July 2019, 10:38
- Lukashenko denies rumors of secret talks he might have with Putin in Valaam 09 July 2019, 12:25
- Almost half of Jewish Europeans considering emigrating over antisemitism - report 08 July 2019, 18:41
- Women less smart than men - head of patriarch's commission 08 July 2019, 17:46
- Filaret 'Moscow's ally' - Orthodox Church of Ukraine 08 July 2019, 17:44
- Georgian priests demand square before parliament be cleared of protesters' banners 08 July 2019, 13:19
- Georgian LGBT community calls off Tbilisi action due to threats 08 July 2019, 12:06
- Putin speaks of pope's favorite writers, Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy 05 July 2019, 13:20
- Pope hails Russia's efforts to protect Christian holy places in Syria – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:09
- Putin, Pope Francis did not discuss latter's visit to Russia – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:07
- Putin talked with Pope Francis about protection of Christians in Syria 05 July 2019, 12:14
- Names of submariners killed in Barents Sea to be perpetuated on Kronstadt Naval Cathedral's walls 04 July 2019, 18:28
- Russian Orthodox Church hails contacts between Putin, Vatican 04 July 2019, 17:54
- Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour (updated) 04 July 2019, 17:06
- Inviting Pope to Russia not to be raised during Putin's visit to Vatican - Ushakov 03 July 2019, 18:22
- Putin in Vatican to discuss restoration of Christian shrines in Syria, Roman Church's humanitarian projects in Donbas, Venezuela 03 July 2019, 18:20
- Filaret declares tomos granted by Constantinople to Ukraine false 02 July 2019, 18:03
- Peskov unaware whether Putin plans to invite Pope to Russia 01 July 2019, 14:39
- The Russian Orthodox Church condemns the law on bishops’ citizenship adopted in Latvia 01 July 2019, 13:29
- Soil from royal family burial site in Yekaterinburg to be re-examined - Memorial of Romanovs foundation 01 July 2019, 10:55
- Elton John musical genius but errs on issue of attitudes towards gays in Russia – Putin 01 July 2019, 10:39
- Russian Orthodox Church offers to set up the rights of embryo in legislation 28 June 2019, 17:35
- Ukraine is turning in Waterloo for Patriarch Bartholomew, the Russian church official believes 28 June 2019, 17:32
- Russian Orthodox Church can change its statute to include Russian exarchate of Constantinople 28 June 2019, 14:12
- Synod of Ukraine's new church deprives Filaret of right to run Kiev Diocese 24 June 2019, 17:53
- Underground church discovered in Moldavia 24 June 2019, 17:49