20 February 2019, 10:09
Crimean leader denies forced eviction of OCU church in Simferopol
Simferopol, February 20, Interfax - Forced eviction from the premises in Simferopol leased to the Crimean Diocese of the new Ukrainian church (OCU) is ruled out, the Crimean leader Sergey Aksyonov said.
"No one of oppressing anyone, all documentation is being brought in accordance (...) No forceful action is definitely being taken," Aksyonov told reporters.
The Saints Vladimir and Olga Catherdal is located at a building previously occupied by a former Simferopol higher military-political building school. It is a three-storey building with classical-style columns. The only sign of the religious tenant is a small cross above the entrance.
On February 12, the OCU Archbishop Kliment of Simferopol and Crimea said in Kiev that the Crimean authorities demanded that the premises of the Sts. Vladimir and Olga Cathedral be vacated. He said that since 2014 the local authorities had been telling the diocese to re-register in accordance with the Russian laws but the diocese's administration has not done so.
"Because we are not re-registered, the fund for property and land relations is requiring us to sign all additional agreements and hand over the premises we occupy in the city of Simferopol to the ministry currently operating in Crimea (...) By early March, I should be left out in the street. I don't know where to take out our belongings, don't know where to remove them," Kliment said.
The Ukrainian Culture Ministry did not take stock of the valuables on the grounds of the cathedral, so they cannot be sent to Ukraine, "because the law bans me from moving cultural and national valuables across border," he said.
Earlier, Crimean Minister of Property and Land Relations Anna Anyukhina told Interfax that OCU representatives were refusing to provide documentation necessary for the lease in Simferopol. According to her data, Archbishop Kliment had not been seen in Crimea for a long time.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14