21 February 2019, 10:03
Patriarch of Georgia concerned about situation in Ukrainian Orthodox Christianity
Tbilisi, February 21, Interfax - Patriarch Ilia II of Georgia has expressed regret over the current church conflict in Ukraine, the Georgian Patriarchate said.
On Wednesday, Ilia II received a delegation of representatives of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church headed by its chancellor, Metropolitan Antony.
"The meeting was unofficial and the guest informed about the situation in Ukraine and his stance. The metropolitan said that following the handover of the tomos, conflicts regarding the affiliation of churches have been occurring in various temples and regions of Ukraine and it results in a great confrontation between believers and clergymen," the patriarchate said.
Georgia's spiritual leader thanked the guests for their visit and expressed regret about the existing situation in Ukraine. "The patriarch has called for continuing prayers so that the issue could be overcome and the unity of Orthodox Christianity could be preserved with God's help," it said.
The Georgian Orthodox Church has not yet voiced its official stance on the situation surrounding the establishment of a new church independent from the Moscow Patriarchate in Ukraine. The establishment of this organization took place with support of the Ukrainian authorities and direct participation of the Patriarchate of Constantinople on December 15, 2018. No local church, apart from Constantinople, has recognized this church since then.
As reported, two weeks ago, Metropolitan Luka of Zaporozhye and Melitopol urged the Georgian patriarch to voice support to the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church headed by Metropolitan Onufry.
- Russian Church concerned about possibility of illegal use of personal data 22 October 2020, 20:15
- Estonia to hold a referendum on marriage as a union of man and woman in spring 22 October 2020, 19:50
- Russian Archpriest Dimitry Smirnov dies 21 October 2020, 20:31
- Attackers of Hasid teens in Uman must be brought to account - Ukraine's foreign minister 20 October 2020, 10:43
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz in Vatican, discusses his return to Belarus 20 October 2020, 10:41
- Catholics conveyed a church in the center of Spanish Granada to Moscow Patriarchate 15 October 2020, 18:29
- Head of Russian Catholics contracts coronavirus 15 October 2020, 15:18
- The first Russian doctoral thesis on Islamic theology earned 15 October 2020, 14:03
- FJCR considers Kiev's order to pray for pogrom-makers an insult of the Jewish people 15 October 2020, 13:42
- A source learned about the death of another child from a surrogate mother in St. Petersburg 15 October 2020, 12:35
- Church against exploiting Russian women as surrogate mothers by foreigners 13 October 2020, 20:01
- Patriarch Kirill calls for putting end to bloodshed in Nagorno-Karabakh 13 October 2020, 18:08
- Patriarch Kirill tests negative for coronavirus 12 October 2020, 10:14
- Baku dismisses accusations of shelling upon cathedral in Nagorno-Karabakh 09 October 2020, 18:12
- Ecological park inspired by a local bishop opened in Omsk 09 October 2020, 17:28
- Jews will celebrate the feast of Torah with restrictions due to coronavirus 09 October 2020, 17:08
- JW couple gets suspended sentences in Kostroma 09 October 2020, 17:00
- Patriarch Kirill calls pandemic the last call for humanity 09 October 2020, 16:39
- Head of Jewish organization of Nazi concentration camp and ghetto prisoners dies 09 October 2020, 10:04
- Azerbaijan renews attack on church in Shushi, Stepanakert claims 08 October 2020, 18:18
- Patriarch Kirill in quarantine after contact with coronavirus patient (updated) 08 October 2020, 18:15
- Unrecognized Karabakh head promises to rebuild cathedral destroyed in Azerbaijan's missile strike 08 October 2020, 17:35
- New Vatican ambassador to arrive in Belarus on Oct 11 08 October 2020, 17:21
- Organizer, 5 followers of Ulyanovsk Jehovah's Witnesses group get suspended prison terms 08 October 2020, 15:51
- Coronavirus restrictions re-introduced in Russian synagogues 08 October 2020, 14:42
- Islamist suspected of attempt to carry out terrorist attack in court, prosecutor's office detained in Stavropol 07 October 2020, 17:01
- Orthodox bishop of Kyrgyzstan urges citizens to pray for peace 06 October 2020, 15:40
- Many-storeyed business center in Kiev in honor of pride month will be illuminated with a rainbow flag 06 October 2020, 13:59
- Russian Orthodox Church offered to imprison rapists for life 05 October 2020, 14:05
- Russian Church suggests opening a museum dedicated to repressions in the mausoleum after Lenin's funeral 05 October 2020, 11:57