21 February 2019, 10:03
Patriarch of Georgia concerned about situation in Ukrainian Orthodox Christianity
Tbilisi, February 21, Interfax - Patriarch Ilia II of Georgia has expressed regret over the current church conflict in Ukraine, the Georgian Patriarchate said.
On Wednesday, Ilia II received a delegation of representatives of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church headed by its chancellor, Metropolitan Antony.
"The meeting was unofficial and the guest informed about the situation in Ukraine and his stance. The metropolitan said that following the handover of the tomos, conflicts regarding the affiliation of churches have been occurring in various temples and regions of Ukraine and it results in a great confrontation between believers and clergymen," the patriarchate said.
Georgia's spiritual leader thanked the guests for their visit and expressed regret about the existing situation in Ukraine. "The patriarch has called for continuing prayers so that the issue could be overcome and the unity of Orthodox Christianity could be preserved with God's help," it said.
The Georgian Orthodox Church has not yet voiced its official stance on the situation surrounding the establishment of a new church independent from the Moscow Patriarchate in Ukraine. The establishment of this organization took place with support of the Ukrainian authorities and direct participation of the Patriarchate of Constantinople on December 15, 2018. No local church, apart from Constantinople, has recognized this church since then.
As reported, two weeks ago, Metropolitan Luka of Zaporozhye and Melitopol urged the Georgian patriarch to voice support to the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church headed by Metropolitan Onufry.
- Christ the Savior Cathedral receives fourth bomb threat in Dec 11 December 2019, 19:02
- Yakut shaman Gabyshev detained again - human rights activists 11 December 2019, 10:12
- Mufti Gainutdin calls on Muslim leaders to protect persecuted Christians of Africa, Middle East 11 December 2019, 10:10
- Ukraine's canonical Church adds 250 parishes in first year of OCU existence 11 December 2019, 10:08
- Christ the Savior Cathedral "mined" the third time in a few days 09 December 2019, 17:12
- Patriarch Kirill asks Mayor Sobyanin to help restore Orthodox Church in America's representation church in Moscow 06 December 2019, 18:51
- Moscow's Cathedral of Christ the Savior receives 2nd bomb threat this week 06 December 2019, 12:41
- Zelensky urges clerics to back Ukraine's initiatives in run-up to Normandy-format summit 05 December 2019, 13:54
- Saint Isaac's Cathedral and 5 other churchs in St. Petersburg received bomb threats 05 December 2019, 13:52
- Serbian president invites Putin to attend opening of St. Sava Cathedral in Belgrade 04 December 2019, 19:35
- Moscow's Christ the Savior Cathedral alerted to bomb threat 03 December 2019, 20:55
- One year on OCU defectors account for less than 1% of our parishes - UOC 03 December 2019, 18:46
- Moscow Jewish Museum to break stereotypes - director 03 December 2019, 17:26
- FSB reports detention of 9 Hizb ut-Tahrir members recruited Muslims 03 December 2019, 14:12
- Russian Bishops' Council to assess global Orthodox situation in near future 02 December 2019, 20:27
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church calls for end of infowar between Ukraine, Russia 02 December 2019, 18:45
- Russian Patriarch Kirill invited to Estonia by country's Lutheran leader 29 November 2019, 18:31
- Moscow court arrests U.S. rabbi in absentia in Schneerson library case 29 November 2019, 13:56
- Putin notes importance of coordination with OIC in countering threats 29 November 2019, 12:04
- Abortion rate in Russia declines considerably in past 18 years 28 November 2019, 19:06
- Patriarch of Alexandria sends kisses to head of OCU 28 November 2019, 18:29
- FJCR sees plans to arrest U.S. rabbi in Schneerson library case as absurd 28 November 2019, 17:23
- Bulgarian Church takes step toward recognizing OCU 28 November 2019, 17:21
- Ukraine has seen no attacks motivated by anti-Semitism in past 3 years - Association of Jewish Communities 27 November 2019, 17:18
- ROCOR to build new church in U.S 27 November 2019, 17:17
- Orthodox priest in Russia's Jewish Autonomous Region suspected of child molestation 26 November 2019, 14:25
- Georgian patriarch, foreign ambassadors discuss detention of doctor Gaprindashvili in S. Ossetia 26 November 2019, 10:07
- Interreligious Council of Russia calls on int'l community to restore Middle East's holy sites 25 November 2019, 20:28
- Sholem Aleichem monument vandalized near synagogue in Kiev 25 November 2019, 18:46
- Russian parliament, govt agree that extra measures needed to fight domestic violence - Matviyenko 25 November 2019, 16:06