21 February 2019, 10:03
Patriarch of Georgia concerned about situation in Ukrainian Orthodox Christianity
Tbilisi, February 21, Interfax - Patriarch Ilia II of Georgia has expressed regret over the current church conflict in Ukraine, the Georgian Patriarchate said.
On Wednesday, Ilia II received a delegation of representatives of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church headed by its chancellor, Metropolitan Antony.
"The meeting was unofficial and the guest informed about the situation in Ukraine and his stance. The metropolitan said that following the handover of the tomos, conflicts regarding the affiliation of churches have been occurring in various temples and regions of Ukraine and it results in a great confrontation between believers and clergymen," the patriarchate said.
Georgia's spiritual leader thanked the guests for their visit and expressed regret about the existing situation in Ukraine. "The patriarch has called for continuing prayers so that the issue could be overcome and the unity of Orthodox Christianity could be preserved with God's help," it said.
The Georgian Orthodox Church has not yet voiced its official stance on the situation surrounding the establishment of a new church independent from the Moscow Patriarchate in Ukraine. The establishment of this organization took place with support of the Ukrainian authorities and direct participation of the Patriarchate of Constantinople on December 15, 2018. No local church, apart from Constantinople, has recognized this church since then.
As reported, two weeks ago, Metropolitan Luka of Zaporozhye and Melitopol urged the Georgian patriarch to voice support to the canonical Ukrainian Orthodox Church headed by Metropolitan Onufry.
- Metropolitan Hilarion doesn't consider Moscow "the third Rome" 15 July 2019, 12:10
- Church split isn't matter for Russian, Ukrainian presidents - Russian Orthodox Church 15 July 2019, 11:16
- Rights of sexual minorities should not be violated in Russia – Moskalkova 10 July 2019, 14:10
- Priest's statement that women are less smart than men is nonsense - Russian human rights council head 10 July 2019, 11:50
- Holy Synod of Russian Church speaks out against split of Serbian Church in Montenegro 10 July 2019, 10:38
- Lukashenko denies rumors of secret talks he might have with Putin in Valaam 09 July 2019, 12:25
- Almost half of Jewish Europeans considering emigrating over antisemitism - report 08 July 2019, 18:41
- Women less smart than men - head of patriarch's commission 08 July 2019, 17:46
- Filaret 'Moscow's ally' - Orthodox Church of Ukraine 08 July 2019, 17:44
- Georgian priests demand square before parliament be cleared of protesters' banners 08 July 2019, 13:19
- Georgian LGBT community calls off Tbilisi action due to threats 08 July 2019, 12:06
- Putin speaks of pope's favorite writers, Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy 05 July 2019, 13:20
- Pope hails Russia's efforts to protect Christian holy places in Syria – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:09
- Putin, Pope Francis did not discuss latter's visit to Russia – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:07
- Putin talked with Pope Francis about protection of Christians in Syria 05 July 2019, 12:14
- Names of submariners killed in Barents Sea to be perpetuated on Kronstadt Naval Cathedral's walls 04 July 2019, 18:28
- Russian Orthodox Church hails contacts between Putin, Vatican 04 July 2019, 17:54
- Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour (updated) 04 July 2019, 17:06
- Inviting Pope to Russia not to be raised during Putin's visit to Vatican - Ushakov 03 July 2019, 18:22
- Putin in Vatican to discuss restoration of Christian shrines in Syria, Roman Church's humanitarian projects in Donbas, Venezuela 03 July 2019, 18:20
- Filaret declares tomos granted by Constantinople to Ukraine false 02 July 2019, 18:03
- Peskov unaware whether Putin plans to invite Pope to Russia 01 July 2019, 14:39
- The Russian Orthodox Church condemns the law on bishops’ citizenship adopted in Latvia 01 July 2019, 13:29
- Soil from royal family burial site in Yekaterinburg to be re-examined - Memorial of Romanovs foundation 01 July 2019, 10:55
- Elton John musical genius but errs on issue of attitudes towards gays in Russia – Putin 01 July 2019, 10:39
- Russian Orthodox Church offers to set up the rights of embryo in legislation 28 June 2019, 17:35
- Ukraine is turning in Waterloo for Patriarch Bartholomew, the Russian church official believes 28 June 2019, 17:32
- Russian Orthodox Church can change its statute to include Russian exarchate of Constantinople 28 June 2019, 14:12
- Synod of Ukraine's new church deprives Filaret of right to run Kiev Diocese 24 June 2019, 17:53
- Underground church discovered in Moldavia 24 June 2019, 17:49