07 March 2019, 13:03
U.S. Mormons to be deported from Russia for illegal teaching
Krasnodar, March 7, Interfax - Two U.S. citizens affiliated with the Mormons have been found guilty of breaching border regulations and put in a detention facility in Novorossiysk; they are pending deportation from Russia, an informed source in the law enforcement authorities of the Krasnodar Territory told Interfax.
"In early March, the Primorsky District Court in Novorossiysk found the two U.S. citizens guilty of violating border regulations (Part 2, Article 18.8 of the Russian Code of Administrative Offenses). They are being held in a special facility for persons under administrative arrest, which is situated in the town of Gulkevichi, and are pending deportation," the source said.
A court representative told Interfax that the administrative case of U.S. citizens Kole Brodowski and David Udo Hague was heard on March 2.
According to the investigators, the foreigners had engaged in teaching activity in Novorossiysk, which did not coincide with the purpose of arriving in Russia they had declared.
"Brodowski and Hague told the court they had come to Russia as volunteers of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS Church) and had no professional training to serve as teachers. However, their testimony was refuted by several witnesses," the source said.
The offense defined by Part 2, Article 18.8 of the Russian Code of Administrative Offices is punishable by administrative fine and deportation. The court representative said he did not know whether or not the men had left Russia.
The defense appealed the verdict in the Krasnodar Territorial Court.
The court will hear the appeal against the ruling in the Brodowski/Hague case on Thursday.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14