11 March 2019, 12:50
Russia's level of anti-Semitism is 'conditionally harmless' - FJCR president
Moscow, March 11, Interfax - Only ten instances of anti-Semitism were registered in Russia in 2018, Alexander Boroda, president of the Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia (FJCR), said, citing information possessed by the FJCR.
"The community maintains statistics for public manifestations of anti-Semitism: ten situations were registered last year, and that was mainly insulting graffiti. Of course, we want this figure to be zero, but we understand that 10 sounds pretty optimistic," he said in an article published in the Monday edition of the magazine Profil.
Anti-Semitism occurs most frequently at a mundane level and is "conditionally harmless," the rabbi said.
Boroda said with regret that names of Nazi collaborationists are being cleared in neighboring countries, murderers are being given the title of hero, streets are being named after them and monuments are being erected to them.
"A swastika has recently been projected in one of the central shopping malls in Kiev. That makes you feel ashamed, although Russia has no relation to what happened," the rabbi said.
Boroda said he believes that the placement of a swastika today in a street in Kyiv that has recently been renamed in honor of Stepan Bandera, an ideologist of Nazism, is "horrifying."
"But I fear most for the new generation, which is growing up in an ideology with a monstrous mixing-up of elementary ideas of good and evil, and the reason for that is adults who haven't learned any lessons from the black pages of history," Boroda said.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14