14 March 2019, 18:20
Irkutsk shamans pay 3,000 rubles fine for sacrificing camels 'to strengthen Russia'
Irkutsk, March 14, Interfax - Rosselkhoznadzor has fined the organizers of a shaman ritual in which five camels were sacrificed in the Irkutsk Region, Artur Tsybikov, deputy chief shaman of Russia, told a press conference in the Interfax press center in Irkutsk.
The camels used in the ritual were purchased on a farm in Buryatia, he said. In accordance with the established procedures, the owner was to check the animals for illnesses, out them in quarantine for one month and notify the veterinary services before moving them to a different region, he said.
"We transported the camels [to the Irkutsk region] without the veterinary service's authorization. We have paid a fine to Rosselkhoznadzor for that, 3,000 rubles," Tsybikov said.
The shaman organization has not received any claims from the prosecutors or the police about the ritual yet, he said.
Tsybikov said the ritual had not been conducted for any lucrative purposes and "not for hype."
"The camels were sacrificed [to gods] because the Buryat people are cattle breeders. Every people has its own traditions. In the north, they sacrifice deer. Peoples who live near bodies of water use fish in their rituals," Tsybikov said.
Nevertheless, he said the ritual involving camels is considered difficult in a spiritual sense and shamans answer for it "with their own lives and the lives of their relatives and loved ones."
A video showing Buryat shamans conducting a ritual called Zhen Tengeri Yaba, in which five camels were sacrificed 'to strengthen Russia and its peoples," was posted on Youtube in early February. The animals were killed (the process is not shown in the video) and their meat was boiled and sacrificed to the spirits on the fire.
The ritual was initiated by Artur Tsybikov, deputy chief shaman of Russia, who is also head of the local city Angarsk religious shaman organization Eternally Blue Sky.
The prosecutors of Angarsk, Irkutsk Region, launched a probe into the sacrificing of the animals in February. The prosecutors said this week the police had decided not to open a criminal case.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14