15 March 2019, 15:33
Position on transfer of Spaso-Andronikov Monastery to Russian Orthodox Church unformed, presence of museum objects needs to be taken into account - Peskov
Moscow, March 15, Interfax - There is currently no clear position on the transfer of the Spaso-Andronikov Monastery to the Russian Orthodox Church, but the presence of museum artifacts there needs to be taken into account when making a decision on this matter, Russian presidential press secretary Dmitry Peskov told reporters on Friday.
"The issue is quite a new one, and therefore there is currently no position here. Additionally, there are museum artifacts, which should of course be taken into account when deciding on this issue," Peskov said.
"However, I repeat, there is as of yet no clear position," Peskov said.
Sergey Karnaukhov, the head of the movement for the monastery's revival, told Interfax earlier on Friday that Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia had written to Vadim Yakovenko, the head of the Federal Agency for State Property Management (Rosimushchestvo), asking him to transfer Moscow's Spaso-Andronikov Monastery to the Russian Orthodox Church.
"It is not a request. Under the law, this letter is enough for the transfer of the monastery to the Church," Karnaukhov said.
The Russian Orthodox Church confirmed to Interfax that the patriarch has sent a letter to Rosimushchestvo. This deals with the transfer to the Church of such federal status objects of cultural heritage as the 15th century Spassky Cathedral, the 16th century dining chamber, a brethren's building and the 17th century father superior's chamber, the 17th century Church of Archangel Michael, etc.
The Spaso-Andronikov Monastery is where reverend Andrey Rublev was tonsured and lived as a monk. A fragment of his paintings has been preserved in the altar of the Spassky Cathedral, one of the oldest Moscow churches outside the Kremlin.
- Three religious extremists detained in Kazan 20 February 2020, 18:30
- Putin calls to halt any religious discord 20 February 2020, 13:25
- All Russian Orthodox Church parishes in Southeast Asia to pray for riddance of coronavirus 19 February 2020, 18:41
- Court arrests Moscow church attacker 18 February 2020, 19:27
- Investigators file for arrest of suspected assailant of Moscow churchgoers 18 February 2020, 12:18
- Man who attacked people in Moscow church says didn't plan crime, 'got up on wrong side of bed' 17 February 2020, 22:06
- Four members of banned pseudo-religious group convicted in Orenburg Region 17 February 2020, 18:38
- Georgian Church decides not to take part in pan-Orthodox meeting in Jordan 17 February 2020, 18:33
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14