19 March 2019, 10:53
Many-thousand processions with cross held in Ukraine
Moscow, March 19, Interfax - Mass processions with cross were held by believers of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in many cities and towns of the country on the Triumph of Orthodoxy celebrated on the first Sunday of the Great Lent.
One of the most numerous processions with cross was held in Odessa, it was headed by ruling archbishop of the region - Metropolitan Agafangel. Over 10,000 people participated in the march, press-service of the local diocese reports.
Over 2,000 participants marched during the procession with cross in Kiev: it started in the lavra (monastery) after the divine service celebrated by Metropolitan Onufry, it was attended by representatives of six states, the procession first moved to the Vladimirskaya Hill.
"There near the monument to St. Vladimir main celebrations took place. According to the traditions of this feast, believers and representatives of Orthodox brotherhoods proclaimed anathema to those who destroy the Church, including Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople," head of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church press service told Interfax.
Then the procession with cross moved to the monument to St. Olga, then to St. Sophia of Kiev Cathedral where late in December Ukrainian authorities held a council to establish a new Ukrainian church constituted by representatives of non-canonical organizations. Participants in the procession with cross blessed the ancient cathedral with the holy water and prayed for returning it back to the Church, then they marched along the city’s main street – Khreschatik.
As was reported to Interfax, processions with cross were also held in Zaporozhye, Chernigov, Rovno and other cities and towns. In Zaporozhye there were thrice as many people as in previous years. "Tomos has helped," the interviewee of the agency said.
"Such wide-scale marches are inspiring moment for people, they give hope for the whole country as the Orthodox believers are ready to remain faithful to their native Church in spite of all threats," Anisimov said.
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25
- Last Sobibor uprising survivor dies 03 June 2019, 18:17
- Kiev Patriarchate does not exist, never existed - Patriarch Bartholomew 03 June 2019, 14:54
- Constantinople cannot solve complicated religious situation in Ukraine - Russian Orthodox Church 30 May 2019, 19:45
- Putin congratulates Jews on Salvation and Liberation Day 30 May 2019, 19:00
- Protests against construction of churches plotted by outside forces - Russian Orthodox Church 28 May 2019, 18:42
- Church on site of first Russian settlement Fort Ross in U.S. to be restored 28 May 2019, 17:27
- Russian Orthodox Church to open churches in Cyprus, Sweden 28 May 2019, 17:26
- Yekaterinburg residents offer some 50 sites for church construction 27 May 2019, 18:37
- Patriarch Kirill in meeting with Mijatovic asks Council of Europe to control observance of believers' rights in Ukraine 27 May 2019, 18:35
- Churches in Russia to keep being built as long as people need it - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 18:14
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for end to discrimination against Orthodox Christians in Ukraine under new president 27 May 2019, 18:13
- Europe, Russia should turn over page of misunderstanding - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells secretary general of Council of Europe is concerned about human rights issues 27 May 2019, 14:14
- Putin, Patriarch Kirill discuss matter of plans to build Yekaterinburg church – Peskov 27 May 2019, 13:42
- Metropolitan Kirill compares situation with church construction in Yekaterinburg to tsar's family killing 27 May 2019, 12:31
- Patriarch Kirill sanctifies Church of All Saints in Strasbourg 27 May 2019, 11:27
- Hegumen arrested after stabbing, injuring monk at Trinity Lavra of St. Sergius 24 May 2019, 19:10
- Putin congratulates Patriarch Kirill on name day, suggests he loosen up work schedule 24 May 2019, 17:48