19 March 2019, 10:53
Many-thousand processions with cross held in Ukraine
Moscow, March 19, Interfax - Mass processions with cross were held by believers of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church in many cities and towns of the country on the Triumph of Orthodoxy celebrated on the first Sunday of the Great Lent.
One of the most numerous processions with cross was held in Odessa, it was headed by ruling archbishop of the region - Metropolitan Agafangel. Over 10,000 people participated in the march, press-service of the local diocese reports.
Over 2,000 participants marched during the procession with cross in Kiev: it started in the lavra (monastery) after the divine service celebrated by Metropolitan Onufry, it was attended by representatives of six states, the procession first moved to the Vladimirskaya Hill.
"There near the monument to St. Vladimir main celebrations took place. According to the traditions of this feast, believers and representatives of Orthodox brotherhoods proclaimed anathema to those who destroy the Church, including Patriarch Bartholomew of Constantinople," head of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church press service told Interfax.
Then the procession with cross moved to the monument to St. Olga, then to St. Sophia of Kiev Cathedral where late in December Ukrainian authorities held a council to establish a new Ukrainian church constituted by representatives of non-canonical organizations. Participants in the procession with cross blessed the ancient cathedral with the holy water and prayed for returning it back to the Church, then they marched along the city’s main street – Khreschatik.
As was reported to Interfax, processions with cross were also held in Zaporozhye, Chernigov, Rovno and other cities and towns. In Zaporozhye there were thrice as many people as in previous years. "Tomos has helped," the interviewee of the agency said.
"Such wide-scale marches are inspiring moment for people, they give hope for the whole country as the Orthodox believers are ready to remain faithful to their native Church in spite of all threats," Anisimov said.
- Holy Synod of Moscow Patriarchate to assess Church of Greece decision to recognize OCU this fall 13 October 2019, 20:45
- Greek Orthodox Church hierarchs recognize OCU autocephaly 13 October 2019, 20:44
- New Syrian constitution must guarantee interests of all ethnic, religious groups - Putin 13 October 2019, 20:36
- Alma-Ata police conduct searches at Jehovah's Witnesses office 13 October 2019, 20:35
- Kardashian was named Egine after baptizing in Armenia 11 October 2019, 10:47
- Three Russian Islamist women accused of killing prison guard in Pakistan 11 October 2019, 10:45
- Man hurt in shooting near monastery in southern Urals 11 October 2019, 10:33
- Today's methods for countering anti-Semitism insufficient - FJCR 11 October 2019, 10:32
- Daughter, son-in-law of Orenburg priest charged with child molestation left in custody 09 October 2019, 14:12
- Two Jehovah's Witnesses released from custody, placed under house arrest in Russia's Primorye 08 October 2019, 13:38
- Kardashian baptized children in Armenia 08 October 2019, 10:12
- Georgian patriarch hopes for German president to facilitate settlement of Transcaucasia's crises 08 October 2019, 10:07
- Patriarch Kirill congratulates Western Europe's 'Russian exarchate' on rejoining Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:03
- Russian Exarchate to keep financial independence, traditions within Russian Orthodox Church 08 October 2019, 10:00
- Russian Orthodox Church Synod includes in it former Constantinople 'Russian exarchate' (updated) 07 October 2019, 15:46
- FJCR announcing two new synagogues in Crimea 04 October 2019, 10:00
- The Maronite Patriarchate denies it has recognized the OCU 04 October 2019, 10:00
- Bashkir hunter shot the priest taking him for a bear 03 October 2019, 11:57
- Chasids leave Uman 02 October 2019, 20:15
- Russian religious donators give Syria school worth $300,000 30 September 2019, 15:57
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Jehovah's Witnesses in Russia are persecuted for extremism, not faith 30 September 2019, 13:57
- Adult adopted children of arrested Orenburg priest don't believe accusations against him 30 September 2019, 13:27
- Belarusian Orthodox Church doesn't need autocephaly - church head 30 September 2019, 11:57
- Russian Church welcomes the news about reunion with "Russia exarchate" clerics 30 September 2019, 10:37
- Putin greets Russian Jews on Rosh Hashanah 30 September 2019, 10:30
- Absolute majority of Russian Exarchate clerics in Europe join Moscow Patriarchate 28 September 2019, 19:42
- Russian Orthodox Church calls on media to refrain from labeling Archpriest Stremsky as pedophile before court ruling 27 September 2019, 16:51
- Defense lawyers for Orenburg priest charged with child sexual abuse appeal his arrest 27 September 2019, 16:03
- About ten priests came to the court to vouch for a person involved in Moscow case 27 September 2019, 11:41
- Gay couple from Russia, who are witnesses in case involving children they adopted, seeking asylum in U.S 26 September 2019, 19:58