29 March 2019, 14:36
Kremlin follows St. Isaac's Cathedral situation, but refrains from comment
Moscow, March 29, Interfax - The Kremlin is following the situation surrounding the status of St. Isaac's Cathedral in St. Petersburg, but views this matter as the prerogative of the regional authorities, Russian presidential press secretary Dmitry Peskov told reporters on Friday.
"We don't have any official information on this topic. We don't know what served as the primary source of information for the articles that appeared today," Peskov said.
"But it is about St. Petersburg. It is about one of the major historical sites. Therefore, the Kremlin is interested in everything that happens there," he said.
At the same time, "it is the prerogative of the city, of the region. The Kremlin's opinion is not needed here," Peskov said.
RBC reported on Friday, citing a source in the Russian government and Culture Ministry, that a decision had been made not to transfer St. Isaac's Cathedral to the Russian Orthodox Church.
In early 2017, the St. Petersburg government announced the decision to hand over St. Isaac's Cathedral to the Moscow Patriarchate on the basis of the 2010 federal law on the transfer of religious assets to religious organizations.
The cathedral's possible transfer to the Russian Orthodox Church has drawn an outcry in St. Petersburg. A lawsuit was filed challenging the city authorities' decision. In March 2017, the Smolninsky District Court of St. Petersburg confirmed that the December 30, 2016 decree is not a legal act authorizing the cathedral's handover to the Russian Orthodox Church.
- Romanian Church to agree with granting of tomos to Orthodox Church in Ukraine, provided that Constantinople and Moscow reach consensus - media (updated) 14 February 2020, 21:11
- Karekin II grateful to Syria for recognizing Armenian genocide 14 February 2020, 18:08
- Pan-Orthodox meeting on 'Ukrainian issue' to be held in Amman on Feb 26 (updated) 14 February 2020, 15:08
- No same-sex marriage to be legitimized in Russia as long as I am president - Putin (updated) 13 February 2020, 17:31
- Orthodox leaders to discuss 'Ukrainian issue' in Amman in late Feb (updated) 12 February 2020, 21:28
- CPRF doesn't mind mentioning God in Russian constitution 11 February 2020, 18:30
- Criminal case opened in Transbaikal Territory after searches of residences of suspected Jehovah's Witnesses 10 February 2020, 19:57
- A woman could head the Russian Church synodal department 10 February 2020, 12:34
- Russian Church proposes to designate the special role of Russians in Constitution 10 February 2020, 12:15
- Zelensky invites Pope to visit Ukraine 10 February 2020, 11:58
- Zelensky asks Pope to help with release of Ukrainians in custody in Russia, Donbass 10 February 2020, 11:55
- Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem working as usual, has no info on property handover 05 February 2020, 21:25
- Yakut shaman complains to ECHR 05 February 2020, 18:09
- OCU terminates Filaret's membership in Holy Synod 05 February 2020, 12:27
- Russian Orthodox Church could discontinue practice of blessing WMDs 04 February 2020, 21:05
- Enshrining 'traditional marriage' in constitution at bottom of working group's agenda 04 February 2020, 19:14
- Krasheninnikov against enshrining family, God in constitution 04 February 2020, 18:58
- Pompeo praises Uzbekistan for progress in upholding religious freedom 03 February 2020, 19:17
- Marriage, not family should be defined as union between man and woman in Russian Constitution - Russian Orthodox Church 03 February 2020, 18:04
- Working group to discuss appropriateness of mentioning God in Constitution – Kremlin 03 February 2020, 13:57
- Patriarch Kirill proposes mentioning God in Constitution 02 February 2020, 19:02
- Orthodox society active at Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem still has no info on property transfer to Russia 31 January 2020, 15:14
- Activities of Jehovah's Witnesses stopped in Komi 31 January 2020, 15:11
- Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia doing important work preserving truth about war - Putin 29 January 2020, 14:08
- Conditions for Jewish community comfortable in Russia - Rabbi Lazar 29 January 2020, 14:07
- Archpriest Chaplin died of heart attack 27 January 2020, 18:51
- Russian Church accuses Constantinople for ingratitude and Russophobia 27 January 2020, 18:45
- Court bans leader of Murmansk Jehovah's Witnesses from talking to fellow members, using Internet 27 January 2020, 12:03
- Well-known priest Vsevolod Chaplin dies in Moscow 26 January 2020, 22:36
- FJCR hopes Marshal Konev monument in Prague won't be demolished 24 January 2020, 19:54