29 March 2019, 18:22
Kiev court to consider Church's name change lawsuit against Culture Ministry
Kiev, March 29, Interfax - An administrative court in Kiev has opened proceedings in a lawsuit filed by the Kiev Metropolitanate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church (UOC) against the Culture Ministry which has demanded that the church's name state its affiliation with the Moscow Patriarchate.
The plaintiff asks the court to rule that the ministry acted unlawfully by publishing, on its website and in the government gazette, a list of religious organizations required to change their bylaws' section regarding the name change, the court's press service said on Friday.
"The case will be considered in accordance with the rules for a simplified legal process, i.e. without notifying the parties to the case," the press service said.
On Dec 20, 2018, the Ukrainian Verkhovnaya Rada passed legislation obliging the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the Moscow Patriarchate to indicate its affiliation with the Russian Orthodox Church in its name.
"A religious organization that is a structural part of a religious organization with its center in the state that has committed military aggression against Ukraine and temporarily occupied its territory must indicate affiliation with this religious organization outside the country in its name," the bill reads.
On Dec 22, President Pyotr Poroshenko signed into law this bill.
The Culture Ministry conducted a religious expert analysis and published a list of religious organizations, including the UOC, which are required to change their name and bylaws accordingly. The organizations had three months to make such changes or face possible closure by a court order, the ministry said.
Meanwhile, the UOC claims that it did not fall under the law compelling religious organizations headquartered in an aggressor-country to state such affiliation. The UOC's position is that its administrative center was not in Moscow but in Kiev and that its links with Moscow were merely spiritual.
- Icons presented to Putin and Lukashenko at Konevets monastery near St. Petersburg 18 July 2019, 11:58
- Russian Church hopes authorities will not impede Christianization Day procession in Ukraine 18 July 2019, 11:13
- The Russian Church warns Constantinople about probable awkward situation its officials can face in Kiev on the Day of Russia's Baptism 17 July 2019, 18:36
- Metropolitan Hilarion doesn't consider Moscow "the third Rome" 15 July 2019, 12:10
- Church split isn't matter for Russian, Ukrainian presidents - Russian Orthodox Church 15 July 2019, 11:16
- Rights of sexual minorities should not be violated in Russia – Moskalkova 10 July 2019, 14:10
- Priest's statement that women are less smart than men is nonsense - Russian human rights council head 10 July 2019, 11:50
- Holy Synod of Russian Church speaks out against split of Serbian Church in Montenegro 10 July 2019, 10:38
- Lukashenko denies rumors of secret talks he might have with Putin in Valaam 09 July 2019, 12:25
- Almost half of Jewish Europeans considering emigrating over antisemitism - report 08 July 2019, 18:41
- Women less smart than men - head of patriarch's commission 08 July 2019, 17:46
- Filaret 'Moscow's ally' - Orthodox Church of Ukraine 08 July 2019, 17:44
- Georgian priests demand square before parliament be cleared of protesters' banners 08 July 2019, 13:19
- Georgian LGBT community calls off Tbilisi action due to threats 08 July 2019, 12:06
- Putin speaks of pope's favorite writers, Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy 05 July 2019, 13:20
- Pope hails Russia's efforts to protect Christian holy places in Syria – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:09
- Putin, Pope Francis did not discuss latter's visit to Russia – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:07
- Putin talked with Pope Francis about protection of Christians in Syria 05 July 2019, 12:14
- Names of submariners killed in Barents Sea to be perpetuated on Kronstadt Naval Cathedral's walls 04 July 2019, 18:28
- Russian Orthodox Church hails contacts between Putin, Vatican 04 July 2019, 17:54
- Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour (updated) 04 July 2019, 17:06
- Inviting Pope to Russia not to be raised during Putin's visit to Vatican - Ushakov 03 July 2019, 18:22
- Putin in Vatican to discuss restoration of Christian shrines in Syria, Roman Church's humanitarian projects in Donbas, Venezuela 03 July 2019, 18:20
- Filaret declares tomos granted by Constantinople to Ukraine false 02 July 2019, 18:03
- Peskov unaware whether Putin plans to invite Pope to Russia 01 July 2019, 14:39
- The Russian Orthodox Church condemns the law on bishops’ citizenship adopted in Latvia 01 July 2019, 13:29
- Soil from royal family burial site in Yekaterinburg to be re-examined - Memorial of Romanovs foundation 01 July 2019, 10:55
- Elton John musical genius but errs on issue of attitudes towards gays in Russia – Putin 01 July 2019, 10:39
- Russian Orthodox Church offers to set up the rights of embryo in legislation 28 June 2019, 17:35
- Ukraine is turning in Waterloo for Patriarch Bartholomew, the Russian church official believes 28 June 2019, 17:32