04 April 2019, 19:01
Rabbi Lazar thanks Putin for his help in returning home Israeli soldier's remnants
Moscow, April 4, Interfax - Chief Rabbi of Russia Berel Lazar thanked Russian President Vladimir Putin for his help in returning remnants of the Israeli soldier killed during the First Lebanon war in 1982.
"Thank you very much for help and cooperation in returning remnants of Israeli soldier Zachary Baumel and opportunity to bury him in his Motherland in presence of his relatives. Our people consider their holy duty to bury the dead in compliance with the religious law," the rabbi wrote in his letter conveyed to Interfax on Thursday.
Sgt. First Class Zachary Baumel was considered missing since the battle of Sultan Yacoub held on June 11, 1982. For 37 years Israel tried to find its soldier, and recently it was cleared out that the Russian Special Forces found his burial place during their actions in Syria.
The rabbi noted that he more than once talked to Russian authorities about returning soldier's remnants to Israel.
"Today, thanks to the Lord, I can express you my gratitude not only from myself and Russian Jews, but from the entire Jewish nation, wherever we live. I understand that it was not easy to achieve it, which makes even greater your merit before God!" Lazar wrote to the Russian President.
Earlier, the Defense Ministry reported that Baumel's remnants were taken to Russia and then after genetic expertise would be transferred to his Motherland. Baumel's funeral was scheduled for 7 p.m. at Mount Herzl in Jerusalem, according to the Israel Defense Forces.
- Synod of Ukraine's new Church deprives Filaret of right to run Kiev Diocese 24 June 2019, 17:53
- Underground church discovered in Moldavia 24 June 2019, 17:49
- Georgian patriarch urges not to make mistakes 24 June 2019, 17:44
- Audience of films showing drugs should be warned of danger – Russian Church 24 June 2019, 14:15
- Georgia's LGBT community postpones march due to tensions 24 June 2019, 11:07
- Head of Georgian delegation in IAO refuses parliamentary mandate following riots in Tbilisi 21 June 2019, 17:37
- Filaret's 'local assembly' shows Constantinople project in Ukraine is not viable - Russian Orthodox Church 20 June 2019, 19:39
- Defense minister accuses U.S. of supporting non-mainstream religious entities in Russia 20 June 2019, 19:07
- Filaret, supporters to leave Ukraine's new church on June 24 - new church of Ukraine 20 June 2019, 19:03
- IAO delegation led by Russian MP leaving Tbilisi early 20 June 2019, 18:58
- Ivanishvili lashes out at organizers of Interparliamentary Assembly on Orthodoxy session for electing Russian as chair 20 June 2019, 18:56
- Filaret thinks Ukraine can have 3 Orthodox Churches 20 June 2019, 18:51
- "Kiev Patriarchate" cancels its dissolution 20 June 2019, 18:46
- Georgian president rules out 'Orthodox union' of Georgia and Russia 20 June 2019, 13:40
- Religion section editor of Dagestani newspaper suspected of financing terrorism arrested for 2 months 19 June 2019, 17:14
- Memorial in place of the second biggest burial of the Holocaust victims opened in Caucasus 19 June 2019, 17:09
- The Georgian Church official accuses US acting ambassador of trying to aggravate the situation around LGBT-action in Georgia 18 June 2019, 11:09
- Religion department editor of the Dagestani newspaper detained on suspicion of terrorism financing 17 June 2019, 11:30
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25