23 April 2019, 13:38
Patriarch Kirill: Zelensky given historic chance to unite people of Ukraine (updated)
Moscow, April 23, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia has congratulated Vladimir Zelensky on his election as president of Ukraine and hopes that under his rule, the canonical Church will stop being persecuted.
"The people of Ukraine that supported your candidacy are pinning big hopes on you for positive changes in their lives. You are being given a historic chance to unite the nation and make a personal contribution to resolving economic and social problems in the country, and to finding ways to overcome the existing conflicts and splits," the patriarch said in his address to Zelensky published by the press service of the Russian Orthodox Church.
Patriarch Kirill said he believes that the only possible way to ensure that the state system works effectively toward making life better for the people will be "cooperation of all well-intentioned powers in society, with their full involvement in a nationwide dialogue."
In his address to Zelensky, Patriarch Kirill expressed sincere hope for an end to "the sad period" of harassment and discrimination against Ukrainian citizens belonging to the Ukrainian Orthodox Church.
"May the merciful God help you in your good affairs and undertakings, and give you wisdom and make you firm in your future endeavors for the good of the Ukrainian people," Patriarch Kirill said in his letter to the Ukrainian president-elect.
Zelensky won the presidential election in the second round on April 21 with 73% of the vote, while his rival, incumbent head of state Pyotr Poroshenko gained slightly over 24%.
- Three more arrested after Yekaterinburg church construction protest 17 May 2019, 18:53
- Yekaterinburg authorities had dialogue with residents on church before Putin said poll needed - Peskov 17 May 2019, 18:51
- Yekaterinburg mayor to meet with group of protesters against church construction in public garden 17 May 2019, 13:42
- Thirty arrested in protests against church construction in Yekaterinburg 17 May 2019, 10:59
- Opponents of building church in Yekaterinburg hurl smoke charges near Moscow patriarch's residence 16 May 2019, 22:28
- Opponents of building church again meet in downtown Yekaterinburg 16 May 2019, 19:43
- Communications Ministry: 1,300 families give up TV for religious reasons 16 May 2019, 18:40
- Potential Dalai Lama visit needs separate discussion - Putin 16 May 2019, 18:38
- Yekaterinburg mayoral office agrees to hold independent poll on building church in city square 16 May 2019, 18:33
- Police report detention of further 70 protesters against Yekaterinburg church construction 16 May 2019, 18:19
- Putin proposes polling residents on Yekaterinburg church construction 16 May 2019, 18:17
- Law enforcers responded to provocation during Yekaterinburg protest, use of force justified - Peskov (updated) 16 May 2019, 13:44
- Kremlin denies rumors that church construction in Yekaterinburg part of big construction plan 16 May 2019, 13:17
- Moscow mayor's office doesn't allow LGBT pride parade, rallies 16 May 2019, 11:18
- Court arrests over 20 participants in protest against new church in Yekaterinburg 16 May 2019, 11:15
- Protests against church construction in downtown Yekaterinburg continue for third night in row 15 May 2019, 19:15
- Kremlin doesn't approve of law breaches in church construction protests in Yekaterinburg 15 May 2019, 16:04
- Orthodox priest advises females who found no husband in Russia to move abroad 15 May 2019, 14:57
- Three Yekaterinburg church protestors penalized for traffic rules violation 15 May 2019, 14:33
- Twenty-six protesters against church construction detained in Yekaterinburg – authorities 15 May 2019, 12:42
- Three hospitalized after protest against church construction in Yekaterinburg 15 May 2019, 12:08
- Yekaterinburg diocese postpones planned prayer service at church construction site after protest 14 May 2019, 17:42
- Russian Church condemns attempts to stir up conflict around Yekaterinburg church construction 14 May 2019, 14:56
- Zelensky posts video of various religious leaders appealing to Donbass and Crimean people 13 May 2019, 19:43
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes USSR victory in World War II is people's merit, not Stalin 13 May 2019, 19:01
- A thousand of Russian students joined the March of Life in Auschwitzh 13 May 2019, 17:19
- Schism is possible in OCU - "Honored patriarch" Filaret 13 May 2019, 16:15
- Russians must be strong to avoid war - Patriarch Kirill 08 May 2019, 16:22
- St. Petersburg courts reduces sentence for blogger Sokolovsky earlier convicted for playing Pokemon Go in church 08 May 2019, 10:02
- Russia's chief rabbi calls on Israelis to make no compromises with Hamas 06 May 2019, 18:14