23 April 2019, 12:55
Law on renaming Ukrainian Orthodox Church still in effect despite court ruling - Rada speaker
Kiev, April 23, Interfax - Ukrainian Verkhovnaya Rada Chairman Andrey Parubiy has described a ruling by the Kiev Administrative District Court which puts on hold the renaming of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church as absurd and insisted that the relevant law remain valid.
"The district court's ruling today is indeed absurd," Parubiy said on a TV program.
"I stress that the law has not been invalidated; it remains valid," he said.
The Kiev Administrative District Court ruled earlier to grant a motion by the Kiev Metropolitanate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church on invalidating a directive by the Ukrainian Culture Ministry obliging the Kiev Metropolitanate of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church to adjust its name.
Legislation passed by the Ukrainian Verkhovnaya Rada on December 20, 2018 obliges the UOC to indicate its affiliation with the Russian Orthodox Church in its name.
The document stipulates that a religious organization that is part of another religious organization whose center is located in a state that has committed military aggression against Ukraine and temporarily occupied its territory must indicate its affiliation with this center in its name. The statutory name of this religious organization would have to indicate the full name of the organization of which it is part and whose center is located outside of Ukraine. This statutory name may include the words "in Ukraine."
According to the law, if the Church with the center in Russia fails to submit amendments to its statute concerning its renaming to the relevant agency for re-registration within four months, its statute will become invalid in this respect.
The Ukrainian Culture Ministry has carried out a theological review and publicized a list of religious organizations obliged to amend their names and statutes, among them the Ukrainian Orthodox Church. The ministry pointed out that these organizations have three months to amend their statutes regarding their names and submit these amendments to the relevant agency for re-registration. It warned that, if these organizations fail to comply with the legislation, courts could rule to terminate their operations.
The Ukrainian Orthodox Church has argued that it is not subject to the legislation obliging religious organizations to mention a religious center located in the aggressor country in their name as its administrative center is in Kiev rather than in Moscow and its connection with Moscow is solely spiritual.
- Seventeen clandestine ISIL cells uncovered in Russia in 2019 17 September 2019, 18:06
- Putin says he sees Israel as Russian-speaking country 17 September 2019, 18:04
- Parishioners of the "Russian exarchate" in Paris enthusiastic about joining the Russian Orthodox Church 16 September 2019, 17:45
- Return of 'Russian exarchate' became possible due to radical changes in Russian Church, Russia in general - Patriarch Kirill 16 September 2019, 16:26
- Russian Orthodox Church denies rumors that head of Russian Church Abroad is missing 16 September 2019, 16:25
- Israel condemns defacing of monument to Holocaust victims in Ukraine's Nikolaev Region, demands perpetrators be punished 16 September 2019, 13:20
- The Russian Church about return of “Russian exarchate” parishes under its jurisdiction: a long way is almost accomplished 14 September 2019, 21:29
- Head of "Russian exarchate" of Constantinople joins Russian Orthodox Church 14 September 2019, 18:44
- Imam Velitov, convicted for justification of terrorism, leaves colony in Astrakhan 13 September 2019, 16:52
- Ukrainian court freezes "Kiev Patriarchate" liquidation 12 September 2019, 20:25
- Priest Alexander Volkov dismissed from the post of patriarchal press secretary 12 September 2019, 20:22
- Orthodox Businessman Malofeyev to leave A Just Russia 6 months after joining it 12 September 2019, 17:23
- Common moral, ethical values of all religions in Russia ensure state stability of country - Putin 12 September 2019, 17:21
- Guilt of men charged with attempted murder of Imam Chumakov unproven - Ingushetia jury 11 September 2019, 10:53
- State Dept. announces sanctions against 2 high-ranking Surgut investigators over Jehovah's Witnesses case (updated) 10 September 2019, 18:48
- The Russian Church official call modern Russian men a "national tragedy" 09 September 2019, 11:56
- The Russian Church will accept communities of the "Russian exarchate" ready to join it 09 September 2019, 11:20
- Russian Orthodox Church to continue reunification consultations with "Russian exarchate" 09 September 2019, 11:00
- Russian Jews to unveil monument to Roma victims of Nazism 05 September 2019, 16:00
- Jerusalem Patriarch takes the side of Russian Church in the "Ukrainian question" 05 September 2019, 15:57
- Constantinople appoints head of "Russian exarchate" a metropolitan responsible for establishing new church in Ukraine 05 September 2019, 13:06
- "Russian exarchate" in Europe refused to subordinate to Constantinople 04 September 2019, 10:54
- Some 40,000 Hasidic pilgrims expected to attend Rosh Hashanah celebration in Ukraine 03 September 2019, 11:07
- ROC metropolitan denies Constantinople accusations of non-canonical actions of the Moscow Patriarchate in Southeast Asia 29 August 2019, 15:43
- World Union of Old Believers set up in Moscow 29 August 2019, 13:05
- Holocaust victims monument vandalized in southern Ukraine 28 August 2019, 16:58
- Monument to Ukrainian nationalists unveiled at Jewish cemetery in Lvov Region 26 August 2019, 19:45
- Poroshenko warns of ongoing attacks on Ukrainian army, language, faith 26 August 2019, 17:13
- Founder of Russian icon museum - among victims of helicopter crash in Greece 22 August 2019, 12:50
- Al-Assad asks for Russian language teachers in Syria to counter Western culture and Wahhabism - Russian MP 20 August 2019, 15:28