13 May 2019, 16:15
Schism is possible in OCU - "Honored patriarch" Filaret
Kiev, May 13, Interfax - A schism is possible in the new Orthodox church of Ukraine (OCU), "Honored Patriarch" Filaret Denisenko said, adding that he is authorized to call an assembly.
In his commentary to a news program, which aired on Sunday, Filaret said head of the new Ukrainian church Yepifaniy Dumenko talks with him very rarely.
Filaret said he had talked with Yepifaniy no more than five times since the creation of the new church of Ukraine.
"Is that communication? The church needs to be run every day. Therefore, there is no communication. Because there is no communication - and it should be - the church is divided because my task as patriarch now is to keep the Ukrainian church," he said.
At the same time, he said that he as head of the Orthodox Church of Ukraine can call an assembly.
The honored patriarch said the (non-canonical - IF) Kiev Patriarchate still exists.
"It [the Kiev Patriarchate] exists. It doesn't need to be brought back. It exists. Is there a patriarch? If there is a patriarch, there is a patriarchate. There is the Kiev Patriarchate. Therefore, there is no need to bring the patriarchate back. It exists and it should exist [...] And there will be a patriarchate. And it will not stay self-proclaimed forever. Time will come when it will be recognized," the former head of the "Kiev Patriarchate" said.
Responding to a question as to whether he believes the OCU can be divided, Filaret said: "I believe it is possible. But we will create a unified church."
A unification assembly where the Orthodox Church was created was held in Kiev on December 15, 2018. A local assembly was held before the unification assembly. The so-called Kiev Patriarchate had made a decision to eliminate the church.
On January 5, Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew signed a tomos granting autocephaly to the new church of Ukraine. He gave the document to Yepifaniy on January 6 and his enthronement took place on February 3.
- Kremlin not commenting on end of discussion about monument on Lubyanskaya Square - Peskov 01 March 2021, 14:19
- Moscow Mayor Sobyanin proposes to leave Lubyanskaya Square as it is for now 26 February 2021, 22:42
- Acting leader of Abkhazian Diocese is member of Georgian Church - Georgian Patriarchate 26 February 2021, 17:44
- Search underway on premises of Sredneuralsky Convent 26 February 2021, 17:41
- Defrocked priest Sergy's pretrial detention extended until end of spring 26 February 2021, 10:00
- Armenian Apostolic Church urges politicians to start talks 25 February 2021, 15:04
- Omsk resident fined 375,000 rubles for excusing terror attack in New Zealand 25 February 2021, 11:48
- Yakutian shaman Gabyshev charged with violence against police officer 25 February 2021, 10:45
- Meeting between Russian patriarch, Pope doesn't improve Christians' position in Middle East contrary to expectations - Metropolitan Hilarion 24 February 2021, 10:00
- Muscovites will choose between monuments to Dzerzhinsky, Alexander Nevsky on Lubyanka Square 20 February 2021, 10:03
- Former schema-monk Sergy admits giving bribe amounting to 'millions of dollars' 18 February 2021, 16:30
- World Russian People's Council backs idea of Ivan III monument on Lubyanka Square in Moscow 18 February 2021, 16:11
- FJCR suggests reinstalling fountain at Lubyanka 18 February 2021, 15:30
- Suspected organizer of Jehovah's Witnesses cell in Russia's Kemerovo region placed under house arrest 17 February 2021, 14:11
- Police detain man who splashed Holocaust monument in Yerevan with paint 17 February 2021, 13:44
- The giant castle of corona cannibal to be burned in Russia on Maslenitsa 17 February 2021, 12:08
- Lawyers' association supports bill limiting surrogate motherhood in Russia 17 February 2021, 10:00
- FSB detain people suspected of financing ISIL under guise of donations to mosques in Crimea, Tatarstan 16 February 2021, 15:19
- World Union of Old Believers backs idea to place Ivan III monument on Moscow's Lubyanka Square 16 February 2021, 09:44
- Metropolitan Hilarion concerned by detention on non-participants in unsanctioned rallies 15 February 2021, 09:17
- Moscow court arrests 2 Jehovah's Witnesses 15 February 2021, 09:15
- Foreign Intelligence Service head compares those who insult WWII veterans to Nazi collaborators 12 February 2021, 11:53
- Congress of the Leaders of World and Traditional Religions in Kazakhstan postponed to next year 12 February 2021, 11:07
- Sputnik V vaccine halal - Gamaleya Center expert 12 February 2021, 10:03
- Court denies former schema hegumen Sergy right to participate in dispute over church on territory of Sredneuralsky Convent 10 February 2021, 20:39
- Several organizers of Jehovah's Witnesses cell detained in Moscow 10 February 2021, 11:43
- Resident of Russia's Dagestan jailed for 10 years for killing local rabbi 10 February 2021, 11:14
- Tajik authorities classify sentence of opposition Islamic party leader 09 February 2021, 17:35
- The International Day of Human Brotherhood celebrates in Russia for the first time 09 February 2021, 10:13
- Tolerance lessons have already been held for half a million schoolchildren in Russia 09 February 2021, 10:04