13 May 2019, 16:15
Schism is possible in OCU - "Honored patriarch" Filaret
Kiev, May 13, Interfax - A schism is possible in the new Orthodox church of Ukraine (OCU), "Honored Patriarch" Filaret Denisenko said, adding that he is authorized to call an assembly.
In his commentary to a news program, which aired on Sunday, Filaret said head of the new Ukrainian church Yepifaniy Dumenko talks with him very rarely.
Filaret said he had talked with Yepifaniy no more than five times since the creation of the new church of Ukraine.
"Is that communication? The church needs to be run every day. Therefore, there is no communication. Because there is no communication - and it should be - the church is divided because my task as patriarch now is to keep the Ukrainian church," he said.
At the same time, he said that he as head of the Orthodox Church of Ukraine can call an assembly.
The honored patriarch said the (non-canonical - IF) Kiev Patriarchate still exists.
"It [the Kiev Patriarchate] exists. It doesn't need to be brought back. It exists. Is there a patriarch? If there is a patriarch, there is a patriarchate. There is the Kiev Patriarchate. Therefore, there is no need to bring the patriarchate back. It exists and it should exist [...] And there will be a patriarchate. And it will not stay self-proclaimed forever. Time will come when it will be recognized," the former head of the "Kiev Patriarchate" said.
Responding to a question as to whether he believes the OCU can be divided, Filaret said: "I believe it is possible. But we will create a unified church."
A unification assembly where the Orthodox Church was created was held in Kiev on December 15, 2018. A local assembly was held before the unification assembly. The so-called Kiev Patriarchate had made a decision to eliminate the church.
On January 5, Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew signed a tomos granting autocephaly to the new church of Ukraine. He gave the document to Yepifaniy on January 6 and his enthronement took place on February 3.
- The Russian Church warns that Trump's taxes on Chinese goods may lead to crisis of Christian mission in the USA 22 July 2019, 16:35
- Sagrada Familia and Notre Dame listed among five most frequently photoed sights 22 July 2019, 13:56
- "Contemporary" church to be built in the Setun valley in Moscow 22 July 2019, 11:38
- Georgian campaigners for gay propaganda ban hand out treats for signatures 22 July 2019, 11:34
- Icons presented to Putin and Lukashenko at Konevets monastery near St. Petersburg 18 July 2019, 11:58
- Russian Church hopes authorities will not impede Christianization Day procession in Ukraine 18 July 2019, 11:13
- The Russian Church warns Constantinople about probable awkward situation its officials can face in Kiev on the Day of Russia's Baptism 17 July 2019, 18:36
- Metropolitan Hilarion doesn't consider Moscow "the third Rome" 15 July 2019, 12:10
- Church split isn't matter for Russian, Ukrainian presidents - Russian Orthodox Church 15 July 2019, 11:16
- Rights of sexual minorities should not be violated in Russia – Moskalkova 10 July 2019, 14:10
- Priest's statement that women are less smart than men is nonsense - Russian human rights council head 10 July 2019, 11:50
- Holy Synod of Russian Church speaks out against split of Serbian Church in Montenegro 10 July 2019, 10:38
- Lukashenko denies rumors of secret talks he might have with Putin in Valaam 09 July 2019, 12:25
- Almost half of Jewish Europeans considering emigrating over antisemitism - report 08 July 2019, 18:41
- Women less smart than men - head of patriarch's commission 08 July 2019, 17:46
- Filaret 'Moscow's ally' - Orthodox Church of Ukraine 08 July 2019, 17:44
- Georgian priests demand square before parliament be cleared of protesters' banners 08 July 2019, 13:19
- Georgian LGBT community calls off Tbilisi action due to threats 08 July 2019, 12:06
- Putin speaks of pope's favorite writers, Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy 05 July 2019, 13:20
- Pope hails Russia's efforts to protect Christian holy places in Syria – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:09
- Putin, Pope Francis did not discuss latter's visit to Russia – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:07
- Putin talked with Pope Francis about protection of Christians in Syria 05 July 2019, 12:14
- Names of submariners killed in Barents Sea to be perpetuated on Kronstadt Naval Cathedral's walls 04 July 2019, 18:28
- Russian Orthodox Church hails contacts between Putin, Vatican 04 July 2019, 17:54
- Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour (updated) 04 July 2019, 17:06
- Inviting Pope to Russia not to be raised during Putin's visit to Vatican - Ushakov 03 July 2019, 18:22
- Putin in Vatican to discuss restoration of Christian shrines in Syria, Roman Church's humanitarian projects in Donbas, Venezuela 03 July 2019, 18:20
- Filaret declares tomos granted by Constantinople to Ukraine false 02 July 2019, 18:03
- Peskov unaware whether Putin plans to invite Pope to Russia 01 July 2019, 14:39
- The Russian Orthodox Church condemns the law on bishops’ citizenship adopted in Latvia 01 July 2019, 13:29