13 May 2019, 16:15
Schism is possible in OCU - "Honored patriarch" Filaret
Kiev, May 13, Interfax - A schism is possible in the new Orthodox church of Ukraine (OCU), "Honored Patriarch" Filaret Denisenko said, adding that he is authorized to call an assembly.
In his commentary to a news program, which aired on Sunday, Filaret said head of the new Ukrainian church Yepifaniy Dumenko talks with him very rarely.
Filaret said he had talked with Yepifaniy no more than five times since the creation of the new church of Ukraine.
"Is that communication? The church needs to be run every day. Therefore, there is no communication. Because there is no communication - and it should be - the church is divided because my task as patriarch now is to keep the Ukrainian church," he said.
At the same time, he said that he as head of the Orthodox Church of Ukraine can call an assembly.
The honored patriarch said the (non-canonical - IF) Kiev Patriarchate still exists.
"It [the Kiev Patriarchate] exists. It doesn't need to be brought back. It exists. Is there a patriarch? If there is a patriarch, there is a patriarchate. There is the Kiev Patriarchate. Therefore, there is no need to bring the patriarchate back. It exists and it should exist [...] And there will be a patriarchate. And it will not stay self-proclaimed forever. Time will come when it will be recognized," the former head of the "Kiev Patriarchate" said.
Responding to a question as to whether he believes the OCU can be divided, Filaret said: "I believe it is possible. But we will create a unified church."
A unification assembly where the Orthodox Church was created was held in Kiev on December 15, 2018. A local assembly was held before the unification assembly. The so-called Kiev Patriarchate had made a decision to eliminate the church.
On January 5, Ecumenical Patriarch Bartholomew signed a tomos granting autocephaly to the new church of Ukraine. He gave the document to Yepifaniy on January 6 and his enthronement took place on February 3.
- Russian prosecutors seeking to shut down Church of Last Testament 25 September 2020, 17:34
- Patriarch awards Lavrov the church order of Glory and Honor 23 September 2020, 18:35
- Followers of Church of the Last Testament gave part of their income to sect every month - source 23 September 2020, 18:29
- Two followers in Vissarion's community developed mental disorders - source 23 September 2020, 18:18
- Court arrests 3 leaders of Krasnoyarsk Church of the Last Testament 23 September 2020, 13:07
- Putin bestows Order for Merit to Fatherland, 1st degree on oldest ruling bishop of Russian Orthodox Church 22 September 2020, 17:38
- Berel Lazar invited to Bahrain 22 September 2020, 13:18
- Russian Church wishes Depardieu to stop on Orthodoxy in his spiritual search 21 September 2020, 15:39
- Forty percent of Russia support Lenin reburial, 1 out of every 5 say his body should stay in Mausoleum - poll 18 September 2020, 20:44
- FJCR head views Hasidic pilgrims attempting to enter Ukraine as 'violence against common sense' 18 September 2020, 18:31
- Zelensky's Rosh Hashanah greeting expresses hope for return to normal rhythm of life next year 18 September 2020, 18:26
- No Hasidic pilgrims left on Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 18:23
- The FJCR calls a huge breakthrough recognition of Israel in the Arab Emirates and Bahrain 18 September 2020, 16:46
- Case opened against 2 Baltic Fleet servicemen who washed shoes in holy spring in Orthodox chapel 18 September 2020, 16:32
- Hasidic pilgrims initially heading to Uman begin leaving Belarusian-Ukrainian border 18 September 2020, 12:15
- Putin notes Russian Jewish community's role in countering Covid-19, in strengthening peace and accord 18 September 2020, 11:17
- Some 1,000 Hasidic pilgrims expecting permission to enter Ukraine from Belarus 17 September 2020, 15:30
- Minsk accuses Kiev of empty rhetoric, urges it to respect rights of Hasidic pilgrims 17 September 2020, 10:39
- Kiev calls on Belarusian authorities to ensure Hasidic pilgrims adhere to quarantine regulations 16 September 2020, 20:27
- Ukraine urges Belarus to stop raising tensions on border, not to make false statements to Hasidic pilgrims (updated) 16 September 2020, 17:18
- Ukraine closes checkpoint on border with Belarus near which Hasidic pilgrims gathering 16 September 2020, 15:35
- Ukraine unable to let in additional numbers of Hasidic pilgrims due to current situation - Foreign Ministry 16 September 2020, 10:45
- Minsk seeks to agree with Ukraine on green corridor for Hasidic pilgrims 16 September 2020, 10:43
- Pope of Rome to consider possibility of visiting Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:42
- Vatican insists on Archbishop Kondrusiewicz's return to Belarus 16 September 2020, 10:40
- Tents set up for Hasidic pilgrims gathering on Belarus' border with Ukraine 15 September 2020, 20:00
- Archbishop Kondrusiewicz deprived of Belarusian passport, not citizenship 15 September 2020, 18:45
- Ukraine asks Belarus not to allow Hasidic pilgrims gathering at border to cross it 15 September 2020, 18:20
- Man brought down from roof of Alexander Nevsky Monastery in St. Petersburg 14 September 2020, 19:02
- Man on roof of St. Petersburg's Alexander Nevsky Monastery for over ten hours refused to come down 14 September 2020, 15:23