13 May 2019, 17:19
A thousand of Russian students joined the March of Life in Auschwitzh
Moscow, May 13, Interfax - A group of Jewish students from Russia held the March of Life on Sunday in memorial complex Auschwitzh-Birkenau not far from the town of Auschwitz.
"Our enemies wanted to eliminate our nation entirely, that is why we should restore Jewish life, strengthen our spirit in observing commandments of the Torah, set up Jewish families," Chief Rabbi of Russia Berel Lazar, addressing the participants in the march.
He urged all people of good will to unite against misanthropic ideologies and regretted that the number of xenophobic and antisemitic manifestations have recently grown all around the world and especially in Europe.
In his turn rabbi Yisroel Goldstein, who has lost his two fingers in terrorist attack in synagogue in American town of Poway, urged young people not to conceal their Jewish origin.
"When the terrorist who shot dead our parishioner pointed his gun at me, I had a choice: to lay down on the ground or to try to prevent other victims. I jumped up on him and closed the gun with my hands, so I lost my two fingers. I urge all young people present here to declare your Jewry and proudly carry out the light of the Torah to people," he said.
Resuming the ceremony, the students lighted the candles to commemorate those who were killed in the camp. Then the column of students headed by rabbis marches through the camp.
The March of Life is held in memorial complex Auschwitzh-Birkenau each year. Thus Jews remind society about Holocaust and attract attention of the world community to recently raising problems of xenophobia and antisemitism.
- The Russian Church warns that Trump's taxes on Chinese goods may lead to crisis of Christian mission in the USA 22 July 2019, 16:35
- Sagrada Familia and Notre Dame listed among five most frequently photoed sights 22 July 2019, 13:56
- "Contemporary" church to be built in the Setun valley in Moscow 22 July 2019, 11:38
- Georgian campaigners for gay propaganda ban hand out treats for signatures 22 July 2019, 11:34
- Icons presented to Putin and Lukashenko at Konevets monastery near St. Petersburg 18 July 2019, 11:58
- Russian Church hopes authorities will not impede Christianization Day procession in Ukraine 18 July 2019, 11:13
- The Russian Church warns Constantinople about probable awkward situation its officials can face in Kiev on the Day of Russia's Baptism 17 July 2019, 18:36
- Metropolitan Hilarion doesn't consider Moscow "the third Rome" 15 July 2019, 12:10
- Church split isn't matter for Russian, Ukrainian presidents - Russian Orthodox Church 15 July 2019, 11:16
- Rights of sexual minorities should not be violated in Russia – Moskalkova 10 July 2019, 14:10
- Priest's statement that women are less smart than men is nonsense - Russian human rights council head 10 July 2019, 11:50
- Holy Synod of Russian Church speaks out against split of Serbian Church in Montenegro 10 July 2019, 10:38
- Lukashenko denies rumors of secret talks he might have with Putin in Valaam 09 July 2019, 12:25
- Almost half of Jewish Europeans considering emigrating over antisemitism - report 08 July 2019, 18:41
- Women less smart than men - head of patriarch's commission 08 July 2019, 17:46
- Filaret 'Moscow's ally' - Orthodox Church of Ukraine 08 July 2019, 17:44
- Georgian priests demand square before parliament be cleared of protesters' banners 08 July 2019, 13:19
- Georgian LGBT community calls off Tbilisi action due to threats 08 July 2019, 12:06
- Putin speaks of pope's favorite writers, Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy 05 July 2019, 13:20
- Pope hails Russia's efforts to protect Christian holy places in Syria – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:09
- Putin, Pope Francis did not discuss latter's visit to Russia – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:07
- Putin talked with Pope Francis about protection of Christians in Syria 05 July 2019, 12:14
- Names of submariners killed in Barents Sea to be perpetuated on Kronstadt Naval Cathedral's walls 04 July 2019, 18:28
- Russian Orthodox Church hails contacts between Putin, Vatican 04 July 2019, 17:54
- Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour (updated) 04 July 2019, 17:06
- Inviting Pope to Russia not to be raised during Putin's visit to Vatican - Ushakov 03 July 2019, 18:22
- Putin in Vatican to discuss restoration of Christian shrines in Syria, Roman Church's humanitarian projects in Donbas, Venezuela 03 July 2019, 18:20
- Filaret declares tomos granted by Constantinople to Ukraine false 02 July 2019, 18:03
- Peskov unaware whether Putin plans to invite Pope to Russia 01 July 2019, 14:39
- The Russian Orthodox Church condemns the law on bishops’ citizenship adopted in Latvia 01 July 2019, 13:29