14 May 2019, 17:42
Yekaterinburg diocese postpones planned prayer service at church construction site after protest
Yekaterinburg, May 14, Interfax - The Yekaterinburg Diocese has re-scheduled the prayer service it was planning to hold on Tuesday at the future construction site of a church in central Yekaterinburg, where a protest was held yesterday, the diocese's spokesperson Anzhela Tambova told Interfax on Tuesday.
"[The prayer service has been] postponed. Today it was nevertheless decided to pray at home and in parishes because prayer support in days like these is especially important. (...) Today the Orthodox believers will also pray for the people who staged the unauthorized rally yesterday, and for the builders for all matters to conclude in favor of our society," Tambova said.
The decision to postpone the service was influenced by the regional public transport ministry's recommendations not to take part in unauthorized rallies, she said.
"I think there is a link [with the recommendations]. Orthodox people are law-abiding people. I think that various nuances were taken into account here, and a decision has been made to postpone [the prayer service], to hold it a slightly later, while reinforcing prayers during these days," Tambova said.
It was reported that last night an unauthorized protest was held in Oktyabrskaya Square in Yekaterinburg, where a Cathedral of the Great Martyr Saint Catherine is due to be built. The people came out in defense of a small park to be replaced by the new church. The protest continued into the early hours of Tuesday.
The region's public security ministry urged locals not to take part in unauthorized protests. Regional governor Yevgeny Kuivashev urged the conflicting sides to sit down at the negotiating table.
Attempts to provoke civil standoff over the church construction issue are unacceptable, the diocese said.
Last September the city's architectural and urban-planning council decided to build a church in place of a small park in the city center. The idea was opposed by some residents. Their application for a referendum on the issue was turned down.
- Three more arrested after Yekaterinburg church construction protest 17 May 2019, 18:53
- Yekaterinburg authorities had dialogue with residents on church before Putin said poll needed - Peskov 17 May 2019, 18:51
- Yekaterinburg mayor to meet with group of protesters against church construction in public garden 17 May 2019, 13:42
- Thirty arrested in protests against church construction in Yekaterinburg 17 May 2019, 10:59
- Opponents of building church in Yekaterinburg hurl smoke charges near Moscow patriarch's residence 16 May 2019, 22:28
- Opponents of building church again meet in downtown Yekaterinburg 16 May 2019, 19:43
- Communications Ministry: 1,300 families give up TV for religious reasons 16 May 2019, 18:40
- Potential Dalai Lama visit needs separate discussion - Putin 16 May 2019, 18:38
- Yekaterinburg mayoral office agrees to hold independent poll on building church in city square 16 May 2019, 18:33
- Police report detention of further 70 protesters against Yekaterinburg church construction 16 May 2019, 18:19
- Putin proposes polling residents on Yekaterinburg church construction 16 May 2019, 18:17
- Law enforcers responded to provocation during Yekaterinburg protest, use of force justified - Peskov (updated) 16 May 2019, 13:44
- Kremlin denies rumors that church construction in Yekaterinburg part of big construction plan 16 May 2019, 13:17
- Moscow mayor's office doesn't allow LGBT pride parade, rallies 16 May 2019, 11:18
- Court arrests over 20 participants in protest against new church in Yekaterinburg 16 May 2019, 11:15
- Protests against church construction in downtown Yekaterinburg continue for third night in row 15 May 2019, 19:15
- Kremlin doesn't approve of law breaches in church construction protests in Yekaterinburg 15 May 2019, 16:04
- Orthodox priest advises females who found no husband in Russia to move abroad 15 May 2019, 14:57
- Three Yekaterinburg church protestors penalized for traffic rules violation 15 May 2019, 14:33
- Twenty-six protesters against church construction detained in Yekaterinburg – authorities 15 May 2019, 12:42
- Three hospitalized after protest against church construction in Yekaterinburg 15 May 2019, 12:08
- Yekaterinburg diocese postpones planned prayer service at church construction site after protest 14 May 2019, 17:42
- Russian Church condemns attempts to stir up conflict around Yekaterinburg church construction 14 May 2019, 14:56
- Zelensky posts video of various religious leaders appealing to Donbass and Crimean people 13 May 2019, 19:43
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes USSR victory in World War II is people's merit, not Stalin 13 May 2019, 19:01
- A thousand of Russian students joined the March of Life in Auschwitzh 13 May 2019, 17:19
- Schism is possible in OCU - "Honored patriarch" Filaret 13 May 2019, 16:15
- Russians must be strong to avoid war - Patriarch Kirill 08 May 2019, 16:22
- St. Petersburg courts reduces sentence for blogger Sokolovsky earlier convicted for playing Pokemon Go in church 08 May 2019, 10:02
- Russia's chief rabbi calls on Israelis to make no compromises with Hamas 06 May 2019, 18:14