14 May 2019, 17:42
Yekaterinburg diocese postpones planned prayer service at church construction site after protest
Yekaterinburg, May 14, Interfax - The Yekaterinburg Diocese has re-scheduled the prayer service it was planning to hold on Tuesday at the future construction site of a church in central Yekaterinburg, where a protest was held yesterday, the diocese's spokesperson Anzhela Tambova told Interfax on Tuesday.
"[The prayer service has been] postponed. Today it was nevertheless decided to pray at home and in parishes because prayer support in days like these is especially important. (...) Today the Orthodox believers will also pray for the people who staged the unauthorized rally yesterday, and for the builders for all matters to conclude in favor of our society," Tambova said.
The decision to postpone the service was influenced by the regional public transport ministry's recommendations not to take part in unauthorized rallies, she said.
"I think there is a link [with the recommendations]. Orthodox people are law-abiding people. I think that various nuances were taken into account here, and a decision has been made to postpone [the prayer service], to hold it a slightly later, while reinforcing prayers during these days," Tambova said.
It was reported that last night an unauthorized protest was held in Oktyabrskaya Square in Yekaterinburg, where a Cathedral of the Great Martyr Saint Catherine is due to be built. The people came out in defense of a small park to be replaced by the new church. The protest continued into the early hours of Tuesday.
The region's public security ministry urged locals not to take part in unauthorized protests. Regional governor Yevgeny Kuivashev urged the conflicting sides to sit down at the negotiating table.
Attempts to provoke civil standoff over the church construction issue are unacceptable, the diocese said.
Last September the city's architectural and urban-planning council decided to build a church in place of a small park in the city center. The idea was opposed by some residents. Their application for a referendum on the issue was turned down.
- Pope Francis dealing with issue of release of Ukrainian national guardsman convicted in Italy - Zelensky 05 June 2020, 20:52
- Yakutsk City Court finds hospitalization of shaman Gabyshev legal 05 June 2020, 19:47
- Rabbi Lazar believes 'difficulties' not a Kosher notion 05 June 2020, 12:37
- Crimea court increases sentence earlier handed to a Jehovah's Witness, replacing fine with six years in jail 05 June 2020, 10:00
- Ukraine to allow church services indoors on June 5 03 June 2020, 15:39
- Case involving organization of Jehovah's Witnesses group being investigated in Moscow Region 03 June 2020, 13:47
- Shaman Gabyshev involuntarily committed for indefinite period - rights activists 02 June 2020, 19:40
- World Russian People's Council calls on EU leaders to defend Russians' right to study in Ukrainian schools in their native language 02 June 2020, 18:27
- Moscow churches to reopen on June 6 (updated) 01 June 2020, 18:39
- Archbishop Giovanni d'Aniello appointed Vatican's new ambassador to Russia 01 June 2020, 14:05
- Chuvash metropolitan dies of coronavirus 01 June 2020, 12:07
- Russian army's main church due to open on June 22 29 May 2020, 17:38
- The quarantine time is optimal for spiritual growth, Patriarch Kirill believes 29 May 2020, 13:10
- Defense team of Yakutia's shaman Gabyshev challenges his commitment to psychiatric hospital in court 29 May 2020, 11:50
- Trial of Aum Shinrikyo's Russian cell head begins in Rostov-on-Don 27 May 2020, 21:23
- Siberian hermit Agafya Lykova does not know much about coronavirus, but prays for the sick 27 May 2020, 18:17
- The Protection Monastery in Moscow with St. Matrona relics opened for parishioners in spite of the acting ban of Russian Church 27 May 2020, 17:04
- Yekaterinburg diocese bans services of priest who cursed those who close churches over pandemic 27 May 2020, 11:17
- Defense team for Yakutia's shaman Gabyshev asks ECHR for urgent effort toward his release 26 May 2020, 13:56
- Chief rabbi of Russia believes attention to our neighbors to be the main achievement of the pandemic 25 May 2020, 16:12
- Coronavirus may be part of biopsychological war - Russian Orthodox Church 25 May 2020, 15:09
- Kiev Lavra of the Caves reopens following quarantine 25 May 2020, 14:03
- Police talked to Metropolitan Longin of Saratov as he came to the market without a mask 22 May 2020, 18:08
- Chairman of coordination center of North Caucasus Muslims hospitalized in Moscow 22 May 2020, 18:07
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia to deliver 240 tons of Kosher food to those in need 22 May 2020, 17:43
- Russian Orthodox Church speaker calls its financial situation extremely difficult 22 May 2020, 16:52
- St. Petersburg's Evening Light charity to appeal designation of U.S. preacher Branham's materials as extremist 22 May 2020, 13:38
- Russian Orthodox Church organizes donation of blood from people who recovered from coronavirus 21 May 2020, 16:47
- Moldovan PM, in response to Synod's threats, calls for praying for Orthodox clergy's clarity of mind 21 May 2020, 12:55
- Muslims of Tatarstan to celebrate Eid al-Fitr in their homes 21 May 2020, 10:22