16 May 2019, 11:15
Court arrests over 20 participants in protest against new church in Yekaterinburg
Yekaterinburg, May 16, Interfax - The Verkh-Isetsky District Court of Yekaterinburg has received 24 cases related to people detained during an unauthorized protest against the construction of St. Catherine's Church in the city, a court spokesperson told Interfax.
"A total of 24 materials have been received. Consideration of two of them has been postponed. One case has been closed, and arrests have been ordered in the other cases," the spokesperson said.
Under the court ruling, 21 protesters have been arrested for two to ten days.
According to local media, several dozen people were detained at the protest in Yekaterinburg on Wednesday evening. Interfax does not yet have official information about the detentions.
The press service of the city healthcare department told Interfax that no one had sought medical aid after the unauthorized action in Yekaterinburg's park where the church is expected to be built.
"No, it was all quiet over there. No one was [hurt]," the press service said.
The Urban Development and Architecture Council voted in October 2018 for building St. Catherine's Church in the park on Oktyabrskaya Square. City residents raised objections. A group of citizens filed a referendum request with the City Elections Commission but this was refused.
Fencing around the planned construction site in the park was built on May 13. The same day, Yekaterinburg residents held their first protest, which began in the evening and lasted till morning.
The second unauthorized protest against the construction of the church in the park on Oktyabrskaya Square took place on Tuesday. Police and officers of the National Guard provided law and order at the protest venue. Twenty-six people were detained and another three were hospitalized with injuries.
Another similar protest was staged on May 15.
- Pope Francis dealing with issue of release of Ukrainian national guardsman convicted in Italy - Zelensky 05 June 2020, 20:52
- Yakutsk City Court finds hospitalization of shaman Gabyshev legal 05 June 2020, 19:47
- Rabbi Lazar believes 'difficulties' not a Kosher notion 05 June 2020, 12:37
- Crimea court increases sentence earlier handed to a Jehovah's Witness, replacing fine with six years in jail 05 June 2020, 10:00
- Ukraine to allow church services indoors on June 5 03 June 2020, 15:39
- Case involving organization of Jehovah's Witnesses group being investigated in Moscow Region 03 June 2020, 13:47
- Shaman Gabyshev involuntarily committed for indefinite period - rights activists 02 June 2020, 19:40
- World Russian People's Council calls on EU leaders to defend Russians' right to study in Ukrainian schools in their native language 02 June 2020, 18:27
- Moscow churches to reopen on June 6 (updated) 01 June 2020, 18:39
- Archbishop Giovanni d'Aniello appointed Vatican's new ambassador to Russia 01 June 2020, 14:05
- Chuvash metropolitan dies of coronavirus 01 June 2020, 12:07
- Russian army's main church due to open on June 22 29 May 2020, 17:38
- The quarantine time is optimal for spiritual growth, Patriarch Kirill believes 29 May 2020, 13:10
- Defense team of Yakutia's shaman Gabyshev challenges his commitment to psychiatric hospital in court 29 May 2020, 11:50
- Trial of Aum Shinrikyo's Russian cell head begins in Rostov-on-Don 27 May 2020, 21:23
- Siberian hermit Agafya Lykova does not know much about coronavirus, but prays for the sick 27 May 2020, 18:17
- The Protection Monastery in Moscow with St. Matrona relics opened for parishioners in spite of the acting ban of Russian Church 27 May 2020, 17:04
- Yekaterinburg diocese bans services of priest who cursed those who close churches over pandemic 27 May 2020, 11:17
- Defense team for Yakutia's shaman Gabyshev asks ECHR for urgent effort toward his release 26 May 2020, 13:56
- Chief rabbi of Russia believes attention to our neighbors to be the main achievement of the pandemic 25 May 2020, 16:12
- Coronavirus may be part of biopsychological war - Russian Orthodox Church 25 May 2020, 15:09
- Kiev Lavra of the Caves reopens following quarantine 25 May 2020, 14:03
- Police talked to Metropolitan Longin of Saratov as he came to the market without a mask 22 May 2020, 18:08
- Chairman of coordination center of North Caucasus Muslims hospitalized in Moscow 22 May 2020, 18:07
- The Federation of Jewish Communities of Russia to deliver 240 tons of Kosher food to those in need 22 May 2020, 17:43
- Russian Orthodox Church speaker calls its financial situation extremely difficult 22 May 2020, 16:52
- St. Petersburg's Evening Light charity to appeal designation of U.S. preacher Branham's materials as extremist 22 May 2020, 13:38
- Russian Orthodox Church organizes donation of blood from people who recovered from coronavirus 21 May 2020, 16:47
- Moldovan PM, in response to Synod's threats, calls for praying for Orthodox clergy's clarity of mind 21 May 2020, 12:55
- Muslims of Tatarstan to celebrate Eid al-Fitr in their homes 21 May 2020, 10:22