16 May 2019, 19:43
Opponents of building church again meet in downtown Yekaterinburg
Yekaterinburg, May 16, Interfax - Another protest against building a church began in downtown Yekaterinburg on Thursday evening, but this rally has not been authorized by the state authorities as the previous one, which has taken place in the last three days.
Metal fences are placed around the entire square and the adjacent area with a fountain near the Drama Theatre; police officers are checking all those wishing to attend the protest.
Participants of different age behave themselves calmly. The majority of people are staying near the fountain; no one is approaching a permanent fence, which encircles a construction site. People are walking and talking to each other; activists are collecting signatures in protection of the square. Police officers, officers of the Russian National Guard, patrol cars of the traffic police and riot police are patrolling the area of the rally.
A church should unite people, not divide them and in this connection "both sides need to take certain steps for this issue to be resolved in the interests of all those who actually live there," Russian President Vladimir Putin said at a media forum of the All-Russia People's Front on Thursday in reply to a participant's request for comment on the church's construction.
Mass unauthorized protests against building St. Catherine Church in Oktyabrskaya Square in downtown Yekaterinburg, where the square is situated, have been held in Yekaterinburg since May 13. Dozens of protesters have been detained; 102 protocols have been drawn up against 98 people, over the last three days the protests have been taking place. Twenty-one people were arrested for a term of two to ten days.
Putin suggested holding an opinion poll in comments on the situation in Yekaterinburg at a media forum of the All-Russia People's Front.
It was reported later that the Yekaterinburg administration wants to conduct a poll on building the church amid protests.
At the same time, construction works are underway on a site, where a church is planned to be built.
- Three more arrested after Yekaterinburg church construction protest 17 May 2019, 18:53
- Yekaterinburg authorities had dialogue with residents on church before Putin said poll needed - Peskov 17 May 2019, 18:51
- Yekaterinburg mayor to meet with group of protesters against church construction in public garden 17 May 2019, 13:42
- Thirty arrested in protests against church construction in Yekaterinburg 17 May 2019, 10:59
- Opponents of building church in Yekaterinburg hurl smoke charges near Moscow patriarch's residence 16 May 2019, 22:28
- Opponents of building church again meet in downtown Yekaterinburg 16 May 2019, 19:43
- Communications Ministry: 1,300 families give up TV for religious reasons 16 May 2019, 18:40
- Potential Dalai Lama visit needs separate discussion - Putin 16 May 2019, 18:38
- Yekaterinburg mayoral office agrees to hold independent poll on building church in city square 16 May 2019, 18:33
- Police report detention of further 70 protesters against Yekaterinburg church construction 16 May 2019, 18:19
- Putin proposes polling residents on Yekaterinburg church construction 16 May 2019, 18:17
- Law enforcers responded to provocation during Yekaterinburg protest, use of force justified - Peskov (updated) 16 May 2019, 13:44
- Kremlin denies rumors that church construction in Yekaterinburg part of big construction plan 16 May 2019, 13:17
- Moscow mayor's office doesn't allow LGBT pride parade, rallies 16 May 2019, 11:18
- Court arrests over 20 participants in protest against new church in Yekaterinburg 16 May 2019, 11:15
- Protests against church construction in downtown Yekaterinburg continue for third night in row 15 May 2019, 19:15
- Kremlin doesn't approve of law breaches in church construction protests in Yekaterinburg 15 May 2019, 16:04
- Orthodox priest advises females who found no husband in Russia to move abroad 15 May 2019, 14:57
- Three Yekaterinburg church protestors penalized for traffic rules violation 15 May 2019, 14:33
- Twenty-six protesters against church construction detained in Yekaterinburg – authorities 15 May 2019, 12:42
- Three hospitalized after protest against church construction in Yekaterinburg 15 May 2019, 12:08
- Yekaterinburg diocese postpones planned prayer service at church construction site after protest 14 May 2019, 17:42
- Russian Church condemns attempts to stir up conflict around Yekaterinburg church construction 14 May 2019, 14:56
- Zelensky posts video of various religious leaders appealing to Donbass and Crimean people 13 May 2019, 19:43
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes USSR victory in World War II is people's merit, not Stalin 13 May 2019, 19:01
- A thousand of Russian students joined the March of Life in Auschwitzh 13 May 2019, 17:19
- Schism is possible in OCU - "Honored patriarch" Filaret 13 May 2019, 16:15
- Russians must be strong to avoid war - Patriarch Kirill 08 May 2019, 16:22
- St. Petersburg courts reduces sentence for blogger Sokolovsky earlier convicted for playing Pokemon Go in church 08 May 2019, 10:02
- Russia's chief rabbi calls on Israelis to make no compromises with Hamas 06 May 2019, 18:14