22 May 2019, 18:49
Authorities give up plans to build church in Yekaterinburg park after VCIOM poll
Yekaterinburg, May 22, Interfax - The results of the poll conducted by the Russian Public Opinion Research Center (VCIOM) showing that the majority of Yekaterinburg residents oppose the construction of the church in the park give grounds to discard this option, Sverdlovsk Region governor Yevgeny Kuivashev said on his Instagram account.
"I believe that the figures published by the VCIOM give grounds to exclude the park in front of the Drama Theater from the list of possible places for St. Catherine's Church. I will request Yekaterinburg Mayor Alexander Vysokinsky not to add this location to the list of places while holding the poll. We have passed this conflict, it has been exhausted. We will have to find a new site for the church together," the governor said.
As reported, according to the results of the VCIOM poll published on Wednesday, 58% of respondents believe that the church must not be built in the park.
Eighteen percent of Yekaterinburg residents said they completely oppose the construction of the church, while 7% of those polled said that they believe the church must be built in the park near the Drama Theater in line with the initial plan. Another 14% of participants in the poll said they believe this church could be built in the park, "if the project is adjusted with consideration to city residents' opinions."
"When directly asked whether the park near the Drama Theater is an appropriate or inappropriate place for the church, only 10% of those polled supported the choice of the site, while the majority of Yekaterinburg residents (74%) described this place as inappropriate," the VCIOM said in a press release.
The poll was conducted among 3,000 respondents aged 18 and over on May 16-20.
- The Georgian Church official accuses US acting ambassador of trying to aggravate the situation around LGBT-action in Georgia 18 June 2019, 11:09
- Religion department editor of the Dagestani newspaper detained on suspicion of terrorism financing 17 June 2019, 11:30
- Russian Catholics don’t believe in islamization of Europe 07 June 2019, 15:30
- Leaders, members of 15 Jehovah's Witnesses cells held in Dagestan 07 June 2019, 10:55
- World will be better if people follow Bible, Torah, Koran - Putin 06 June 2019, 18:01
- Russian Catholics urge not to have illusions about possible pontiff's visit to Moscow 06 June 2019, 17:05
- The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow 06 June 2019, 16:04
- Putin to meet with Pope Francis 06 June 2019, 14:34
- Russian Jews pray for “lifting up” the soul of the reposed wife of the Israel’s president 06 June 2019, 11:32
- Russia's Jews present country as example of tolerance for Europe 04 June 2019, 18:48
- Remembrance of Great Patriotic War protects Russia from xenophobia, anti-Semitism - Putin 04 June 2019, 17:48
- Putin attends unveiling of monument to heroes of resistance in concentration camps 04 June 2019, 17:41
- Russian Muslim community plays major role in combating extremist ideology - PM Medvedev 04 June 2019, 11:28
- Putin notes Russian Muslims' contribution to peoples' unity, fight against extremism 04 June 2019, 11:25
- Last Sobibor uprising survivor dies 03 June 2019, 18:17
- Kiev Patriarchate does not exist, never existed - Patriarch Bartholomew 03 June 2019, 14:54
- Constantinople cannot solve complicated religious situation in Ukraine - Russian Orthodox Church 30 May 2019, 19:45
- Putin congratulates Jews on Salvation and Liberation Day 30 May 2019, 19:00
- Protests against construction of churches plotted by outside forces - Russian Orthodox Church 28 May 2019, 18:42
- Church on site of first Russian settlement Fort Ross in U.S. to be restored 28 May 2019, 17:27
- Russian Orthodox Church to open churches in Cyprus, Sweden 28 May 2019, 17:26
- Yekaterinburg residents offer some 50 sites for church construction 27 May 2019, 18:37
- Patriarch Kirill in meeting with Mijatovic asks Council of Europe to control observance of believers' rights in Ukraine 27 May 2019, 18:35
- Churches in Russia to keep being built as long as people need it - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 18:14
- Patriarch Kirill hopes for end to discrimination against Orthodox Christians in Ukraine under new president 27 May 2019, 18:13
- Europe, Russia should turn over page of misunderstanding - Patriarch Kirill 27 May 2019, 17:18
- Patriarch Kirill tells secretary general of Council of Europe is concerned about human rights issues 27 May 2019, 14:14
- Putin, Patriarch Kirill discuss matter of plans to build Yekaterinburg church – Peskov 27 May 2019, 13:42
- Metropolitan Kirill compares situation with church construction in Yekaterinburg to tsar's family killing 27 May 2019, 12:31
- Patriarch Kirill sanctifies Church of All Saints in Strasbourg 27 May 2019, 11:27