27 May 2019, 18:13
Patriarch Kirill hopes for end to discrimination against Orthodox Christians in Ukraine under new president
Strasbourg, May 27, Interfax - Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia hopes that the discrimination against Orthodox Christians will stop in Ukraine after the election of Ukrainian President Vladimir Zelensky.
"The rights of very many Orthodox Christians were rudely violated in Ukraine," the patriarch told reporters at Strasbourg Airport at the end of his visit to France.
"These violations caused real suffering, simply for the fact that they wanted to remain Orthodox and wanted to remain members of the Russian Orthodox Church," he said.
"Recent changes that have taken place in Ukraine in connection with the election of the new president certainly give some hope," the patriarch said.
"I know the opinions of many Orthodox Ukrainians; they link this choice [of the new president] to positive changes, such as discrimination for belonging to an Orthodox jurisdiction stopping and all people having equal rights. I share these hopes of Ukrainians in connection with Mr. Zelensky's election," Patriarch Kirill said.
"I very much hope that this Neanderthal policy where decent citizens are discriminated for belonging to a certain religious organization is absolutely unacceptable not only in Europe but also in most countries, will be forever abandoned in the life of Ukrainians," he said.
"I believe that my interlocutors here in Strasbourg share these hopes," the patriarch said.
As previously reported, Patriarch Kirill had meetings with Council of Europe Secretary General Torbjorn Jagland and Council of Europe Human Rights Commissioner Dunja Mijatovic.
- The Russian Church warns that Trump's taxes on Chinese goods may lead to crisis of Christian mission in the USA 22 July 2019, 16:35
- Sagrada Familia and Notre Dame listed among five most frequently photoed sights 22 July 2019, 13:56
- "Contemporary" church to be built in the Setun valley in Moscow 22 July 2019, 11:38
- Georgian campaigners for gay propaganda ban hand out treats for signatures 22 July 2019, 11:34
- Icons presented to Putin and Lukashenko at Konevets monastery near St. Petersburg 18 July 2019, 11:58
- Russian Church hopes authorities will not impede Christianization Day procession in Ukraine 18 July 2019, 11:13
- The Russian Church warns Constantinople about probable awkward situation its officials can face in Kiev on the Day of Russia's Baptism 17 July 2019, 18:36
- Metropolitan Hilarion doesn't consider Moscow "the third Rome" 15 July 2019, 12:10
- Church split isn't matter for Russian, Ukrainian presidents - Russian Orthodox Church 15 July 2019, 11:16
- Rights of sexual minorities should not be violated in Russia – Moskalkova 10 July 2019, 14:10
- Priest's statement that women are less smart than men is nonsense - Russian human rights council head 10 July 2019, 11:50
- Holy Synod of Russian Church speaks out against split of Serbian Church in Montenegro 10 July 2019, 10:38
- Lukashenko denies rumors of secret talks he might have with Putin in Valaam 09 July 2019, 12:25
- Almost half of Jewish Europeans considering emigrating over antisemitism - report 08 July 2019, 18:41
- Women less smart than men - head of patriarch's commission 08 July 2019, 17:46
- Filaret 'Moscow's ally' - Orthodox Church of Ukraine 08 July 2019, 17:44
- Georgian priests demand square before parliament be cleared of protesters' banners 08 July 2019, 13:19
- Georgian LGBT community calls off Tbilisi action due to threats 08 July 2019, 12:06
- Putin speaks of pope's favorite writers, Dostoyevsky and Tolstoy 05 July 2019, 13:20
- Pope hails Russia's efforts to protect Christian holy places in Syria – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:09
- Putin, Pope Francis did not discuss latter's visit to Russia – Peskov 05 July 2019, 13:07
- Putin talked with Pope Francis about protection of Christians in Syria 05 July 2019, 12:14
- Names of submariners killed in Barents Sea to be perpetuated on Kronstadt Naval Cathedral's walls 04 July 2019, 18:28
- Russian Orthodox Church hails contacts between Putin, Vatican 04 July 2019, 17:54
- Putin - Pope Francis meeting lasted exactly one hour (updated) 04 July 2019, 17:06
- Inviting Pope to Russia not to be raised during Putin's visit to Vatican - Ushakov 03 July 2019, 18:22
- Putin in Vatican to discuss restoration of Christian shrines in Syria, Roman Church's humanitarian projects in Donbas, Venezuela 03 July 2019, 18:20
- Filaret declares tomos granted by Constantinople to Ukraine false 02 July 2019, 18:03
- Peskov unaware whether Putin plans to invite Pope to Russia 01 July 2019, 14:39
- The Russian Orthodox Church condemns the law on bishops’ citizenship adopted in Latvia 01 July 2019, 13:29