06 June 2019, 16:04
The Russian Orthodox Church is not ready to welcome the Pope of Rome in Moscow
Moscow, June 6, Interfax - The Russian Orthodox Church official believes there is no grounds for Pope Francis visit to Moscow.
"It is not on the agenda of our bilateral relations. Many bishops, priests and believers are not ready to accept it. We don't want to spoil our relations because of these moods. We prefer to move gradually, without dramatic steps," Metropolitan Hilarion of Volokolamsk said in his interview with the Swiss Catholic News Agency.
The head of the Department for External Church Relations noted that relations between the Russian Orthodox Church and the Roman Catholic Church developed positively.
The hierarch reminded about bringing St. Nicholas relics from Bari to Moscow and St. Petersburg.
"It has become an event of great spiritual importance for us. It was possible thanks to Patriarch Kirill's meeting with Pope Francis in Havana. 2,5 million people venerated the holy relics, people were waiting in lines all day long no matter what the weather was like. (...) Such events are necessary to strengthen our relations," he said.
- Archpriest Chaplin died of heart attack 27 January 2020, 18:51
- Russian Church accuses Constantinople for ingratitude and Russophobia 27 January 2020, 18:45
- Court bans leader of Murmansk Jehovah's Witnesses from talking to fellow members, using Internet 27 January 2020, 12:03
- Well-known priest Vsevolod Chaplin dies in Moscow 26 January 2020, 22:36
- FJCR hopes Marshal Konev monument in Prague won't be demolished 24 January 2020, 19:54
- Orthodox community in Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem to appeal decision on property change 24 January 2020, 18:50
- FJCR doesn't link Issachar's possible pardon to handover of Alexander Metochion to Russia 24 January 2020, 14:03
- Jews fleeing Europe - Kantor 24 January 2020, 10:01
- Patriarch Kirill regrets that mankind didn't fully learn lesson from Holocaust 24 January 2020, 09:55
- Global community should respond to manifestations of antisemitism, attempts to vindicate Nazis - Putin 23 January 2020, 14:08
- Associates of shaman Gabyshev detained in Yakutia 23 January 2020, 11:28
- Local Jehovah's Witnesses leader held in Murmansk 23 January 2020, 11:22
- World's biggest Orthodox church may be built in Urals 23 January 2020, 11:21
- Issue of Alexander Metochion handover to Russia could be resolved in coming days - Israeli govt 23 January 2020, 11:18
- German society working at St. Alexander Metochion in Jerusalem not informed of property handover 22 January 2020, 18:52
- Putin to meet with Patriarch Theophilos and mother of Israeli woman convicted in Russia 22 January 2020, 17:53
- Russian embassy in Israel not commenting on reports on giving Russia rights to Alexander's metochion in Jerusalem 22 January 2020, 15:58
- Bomb scare in Cathedral of Christ the Savior 22 January 2020, 11:55
- Russian Church dismisses criticism about seeking to seize leadership of Orthodox world 21 January 2020, 21:33
- Russian Church to open aid center in Syria for children affected by hostilities 21 January 2020, 20:01
- Filaret demands that Constantinople return original of decree issued by UOC-KP assembly on its dissolution 20 January 2020, 19:27
- 'God Kuzya' accomplices detained in Moscow 17 January 2020, 17:59
- Sword seized from Yakut shaman returned 17 January 2020, 17:58
- Task of Jewish community is address help to people - Rabbi Lazar 16 January 2020, 20:43
- New U.S. ambassador to Russia prefers ice hockey to ice-water dips 16 January 2020, 18:18
- Russian Church praises Putin's attention to traditional values of Russians 15 January 2020, 17:49
- Georgian patriarch becomes godfather to another 500 children 15 January 2020, 15:06
- The Russian Orthodox Church official believes Stalin could have become a good bishop 13 January 2020, 19:36
- Russian Church predicts further schisms in western Protestant Churches 13 January 2020, 16:32
- Russian Church believes churches are good for making Orthodox acquaintances 13 January 2020, 14:10